I'm not panicking, but there are problems

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
1. The effort on both ends just doesn't seem the same the last 2 weeks
2. The shooting, especially from downtown, has been bad since UNC
3. The lack of adjustments by the coaching staff is troubling and puzzling.

I'm really not jumping off the ledge, but I'm also not just shrugging this off, since we easily could be looking at our 4th straight loss, or at least 2nd or 3rd loss in ACC play. We need to figure this out, since it's not just one game. It's not just the other team playing lights out, or us not hitting anything. It's a pattern the last 2 weeks. I hope some of y'all are right, and this team just needed a wake up call, but I have a hard time buying that when we just had 3 wake up call wins in a row. Maybe they did need an actual loss, but you'd think the last 3 would have done the trick too.

Advertisement
You know, when I mentioned defense a few games ago I was basically told to GTFO. You could tell that this defense was not playing up to par regardless of the scores.

On defense it's effort. Scott seems to be the only one really playing with any fire on defense. I'm still more worried about the offense.

On defense it's effort. Scott seems to be the only one really playing with any fire on defense. I'm still more worried about the offense.

The set plays are not working as well anymore because teams understand how to defend them. Plus, we are just ice-*** cold from outside. Not sure how you can go from hitting 15 3-pointers against UNC to only hit 15 since then.

You keep hoping they will snap out of it....

Said it elsewhere, but Brown is a veritable black hole of production on offense. If the ball goes in his hands, something bad usually happens.

Advertisement
It's not like this has been 1 game though. Surely Coach L can think of something new when this clearly isn't working.

It's not like this has been 1 game though. Surely Coach L can think of something new when this clearly isn't working.

We're limited by the individual talent of the personnel we have. We tried lots of things today, very little of it worked.

We're limited by the individual talent of the personnel we have. We tried lots of things today, very little of it worked.

None of our wing players can create shots for themselves or slash to the basket well. When they can't hit spot-up jumpers we're hurting. That's what opens up the inside game. It's not like Gamble has an ****nal of low-post moves. Reggie is still not in great shape.

****, our offense and foul shooting (not that we are getting many) has been so bad lately, we're lucky the NCAA hasn't alleged point shaving.

Advertisement
You know, when I mentioned defense a few games ago I was basically told to GTFO. You could tell that this defense was not playing up to par regardless of the scores.

You still don't get it.

Today's effort and the two games prior we're very different. Do you disagree?

Said it elsewhere, but Brown is a veritable black hole of production on offense. If the ball goes in his hands, something bad usually happens.

Something doesn't make sense, he has the ability to shoot but it looks like he forgot how.

The fatigue should be gone, that is what I don't get. We had a good rest and for most of the game we looked like we just woke up from a hangover.

We're 13-1, with 3 crappy home games left and Duke.

Advertisement
I think our offensive problems have really stemmed from teams shutting down Larkin and Scott on the pick and roll. When our offense was humming, those guys were getting into the lane, creating shots for them or open looks for TMJ and Brown. Now, teams have trapped our guards, and we're having a tough time getting penetration, and we haven't had as many good open looks.

Our shooting has been off, and we're missing shots we had been hitting, but Larkin has had a much harder time at the offensive end, impacting our entire offense.

I think our offensive problems have really stemmed from teams shutting down Larkin and Scott on the pick and roll. When our offense was humming, those guys were getting into the lane, creating shots for them or open looks for TMJ and Brown. Now, teams have trapped our guards, and we're having a tough time getting penetration, and we haven't had as many good open looks.

Our shooting has been off, and we're missing shots we had been hitting, but Larkin has had a much harder time at the offensive end, impacting our entire offense.

An educated post, please keep posting.

I agree with this, it seems (especially today) that there has either been double teams on Larkin or defenders playing more on top of the guards at the top of the key.

Playing very slow, soft, and a vertical leap of about 4". He needs to toughen up and get mean out their.

Advertisement
The truth is, as posted above, shutting down Larkin and Scott have always been the key to stopping UM on offense. As is usually the case, Leonard Hamilton laid the foundation of the blueprint of how to stop UM. It's not rocket science.

The other side to that equation is we just arent hitting shots and free throw shooting was and is alarmingly bad. We were 9th in the league in FT shooting, so its quite the miracle we havent lost close games because of that.

Now, it could be, that the team has gotten a little full of itself, or they were not use to being the hunted, instead of being the hunter. It's up to the coaching staff and team leadership to get the effort back on track, and that usually takes care of a lot of little things that add up to big things. We have a good coach and good senior leadership, so while I am alarmed at our play the last 4 games, I am confident that things can turn around with a little wake up call.

*negged for being a whiny douche*

The truth is, as posted above, shutting down Larkin and Scott have always been the key to stopping UM on offense. As is usually the case, Leonard Hamilton laid the foundation of the blueprint of how to stop UM. It's not rocket science.

The other side to that equation is we just arent hitting shots and free throw shooting was and is alarmingly bad. We were 9th in the league in FT shooting, so its quite the miracle we havent lost close games because of that.

Now, it could be, that the team has gotten a little full of itself, or they were not use to being the hunted, instead of being the hunter. It's up to the coaching staff and team leadership to get the effort back on track, and that usually takes care of a lot of little things that add up to big things. We have a good coach and good senior leadership, so while I am alarmed at our play the last 4 games, I am confident that things can turn around with a little wake up call.

*negged for being a whiny douche*

I agree with this. They came into the season with the same attitude, and then dropped an exhibition game and lost by double digits to FGCU before they woke up and realized they couldn't just show up and win. I expect the effort and the intensity to be back against Virginia Tech, and that goes a long way towards solving our problems.

Where the **** is this?

[video=youtube;QTM3X-uXs3w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTM3X-uXs3w[/video]

Agreed, people look at the score and figured we play amazing defense, in when in reality, the opposing team was missing wide open 3s and having layups rim out. It seems like PGs are able to penetrate much easier on us right now, and that's concerning.

Advertisement
Back