I'm not a proponent of asking kids to leave...

TheSwagger1

Retired staff
Premium
... but I think we have no choice but to go nuclear this year at OL and DB.

By my count we have at least 5 underclassmen on the OL who almost certainly aren't of the physical caliber you'd need to feel confident putting them in a game against a Florida State or Virginia Tech. That's simply too many on an 85 man roster with our situation where even the starters aren't close to being good enough. I think you have to ask the bottom 3-4 to leave and try to sign as many high level OL as possible. Take Donaldson, Telfort, Slaton, Herbert, Hillary, and at least 2 JUCO OL who understand they're competing to be a starter from day 1 at the same level as the "returning starters". We need an absolute overhaul here.

I think we're at about the same level at DB as well, unfortunately. The bottom guys might have some physical talent that we're hoping to nurture, but not the kind of talent you need to win ACC championships. Golden & Staff (and Rumph's terrible job at cornerback last year) simply left too much dead weight or air at these positions and we need massive talent injections badly - both impact freshmen and JUCO should be the target here. It would be a total shame to waste the front 7 we'll have next year with an absolutely terrible secondary (which is what we're staring in the face folks - look at the depth chart... Redwine, Mayes, Jackson are borderline type guys at best, and they're our frontline "returners" next year).

I hate this kind of mentality and prefer to take kids and bring them along, but we don't have the luxury of developing guys slowly at these two spots - we need to make room and recruit massive numbers here including multiple JUCOs. We have to establish some credibility next year or Richt's going to be going into year 3 already looking like a has-been.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I didnt realize Rumph was here last year as OP states

Oh really? He showed up well before Tyler Byrd decommitted leaving us with 1 guy at CB (thanks to previous relationship with Richt) and all his own HS kids gave us the stink face.

But let's not turn this into another thread about whether or not he **** the bed last year - we have NOTHING coming back at corner and he's in the best area in the entire country for DB talent THIS year. If he's worth his salt we will land a top 5 CB class this year. So far 3 guys we really wanted from Miami Columbus, American Heritage, and Miami Southridge look to be leaving South Florida and headed to Gainesville.

Last edited:
I didnt realize Rumph was here last year as OP states

Oh really? He showed up well before Tyler Byrd decommitted leaving us with 1 guy at CB (thanks to previous relationship with Richt) and all his own HS kids gave us the stink face.

But let's not turn this into another thread about whether or not he **** the bed last year - we have NOTHING coming back at corner and he's in the best area in the entire country for DB talent THIS year. If he's worth his salt we will land a top 5 CB class this year. So far 3 guys we really wanted from Miami Columbus, American Heritage, and Miami Southridge look to be leaving South Florida and headed to Gainesville.

his high school kids? Which one of them played CB or OL from last year..

Lots of dead weight especially on the OL. Knighton (God bless the kid), Mahoney, Loftus, Gall and Gautheir are all either bad or JAGs.

Do you think that Rumph is the only coach who recruits CB's? Or all he does is recruit CB's?

Advertisement
QB Rosier or Shireffs one will go
RB Edwards Gray
WR Langham
OL Loftus Jones Mahoney Milo
DL Fines
LB McCray
CB Henley Mayes
S Knowles

Most of those guys will be gone plus cut Badgely smiling moron!!!

10-13 of those guys will be gone

While I totally appreciate Swaggers thought process, we are so far under the 85 limit that we can sign a full class with hardly anyone leaving. Now 2018 might be a different story.

... but I think we have no choice but to go nuclear this year at OL and DB.

By my count we have at least 5 underclassmen on the OL who almost certainly aren't of the physical caliber you'd need to feel confident putting them in a game against a Florida State or Virginia Tech. That's simply too many on an 85 man roster with our situation where even the starters aren't close to being good enough. I think you have to ask the bottom 3-4 to leave and try to sign as many high level OL as possible. Take Donaldson, Telfort, Slaton, Herbert, Hillary, and at least 2 JUCO OL who understand they're competing to be a starter from day 1 at the same level as the "returning starters". We need an absolute overhaul here.

I think we're at about the same level at DB as well, unfortunately. The bottom guys might have some physical talent that we're hoping to nurture, but not the kind of talent you need to win ACC championships. Golden & Staff (and Rumph's terrible job at cornerback last year) simply left too much dead weight or air at these positions and we need massive talent injections badly - both impact freshmen and JUCO should be the target here. It would be a total shame to waste the front 7 we'll have next year with an absolutely terrible secondary (which is what we're staring in the face folks - look at the depth chart... Redwine, Mayes, Jackson are borderline type guys at best, and they're our frontline "returners" next year).

I hate this kind of mentality and prefer to take kids and bring them along, but we don't have the luxury of developing guys slowly at these two spots - we need to make room and recruit massive numbers here including multiple JUCOs. We have to establish some credibility next year or Richt's going to be going into year 3 already looking like a has-been.

I hate this approach as well but if we want to have the depth that's needed to be competitive again, we have no choice. Right now, we are hoping to get multiple HS OLineman to commit and be able to play right away... that's ridiculous!

I hope after yesterday's performance, the staff is looking at JUCOs a lot more seriously.

Do you think that Rumph is the only coach who recruits CB's? Or all he does is recruit CB's?

No, but I'm also not an ostrich. If you hire a high school coach and he can't pull kids from his own school or kids at his position, it's troubling. If you don't think the CB coach has a major role in recruiting the CB position I don't know what to tell you. We're losing kids from his high school, Miami Southridge, and Miami Columbus at a position where Sheldrick Redwine and Ryan Mayes are probably our projected starters next year. Think hard about that for a while and ask yourself if that's what you want from a production standpoint when you hire a HS coach at that position.

Advertisement
We need to be on top of every high profile DB this year and recruit them like our lifes depeding on it. Defense shouldnt be a hard sell to recruits. Offense on the other hand, Richt is going to need to come up with some magic.

While I totally appreciate Swaggers thought process, we are so far under the 85 limit that we can sign a full class with hardly anyone leaving. Now 2018 might be a different story.

We can sign more than 25. We are at 21 spots as of now. We can place 7 kids into '16 as counters toward the 25 spots in '16. That gives us room to sign 32 kids in the '17 class.

I'd like them to sign 27-29 kids. Richt has been know to NOT push kids out. Of course some of the kids want to play more so they will leave. Knighton needs to be move to medical hardship. Sunny may need to do the same which would suck.

Knowles is on the 2 deep and likely is our #3 safety now that Jenkins is out with a broken leg. I'd like to see a QB transfer. Langham if he isn't going to play. Loftus, Milo, Mahoney, Jones, Fines.

We always think it's the jags that will leave but those guys don't have many options and many decide to just stick around and get their degrees.It's guys like Edwards,Owens,Moten,Jenkins and Gray that are upper classmen and have younger players ahead of them and their time is running out.This unfortunately hurts our depth.

Advertisement

No, but I'm also not an ostrich. If you hire a high school coach and he can't pull kids from his own school or kids at his position, it's troubling. If you don't think the CB coach has a major role in recruiting the CB position I don't know what to tell you. We're losing kids from his high school, Miami Southridge, and Miami Columbus at a position where Sheldrick Redwine and Ryan Mayes are probably our projected starters next year. Think hard about that for a while and ask yourself if that's what you want from a production standpoint when you hire a HS coach at that position.

Name 1 CB from HIS SCHOOL that is a can't miss prospect? I'm waiting. And for the love of god please don't say Wilson. Still waiting.

Its not just talent and depth.................there are some coaches here that already have shown their liabilities!! e.g........special teams and qb coach

Which is why it is imperative, MOTHER ******* IMPERATIVE, that we get a half dozen early enrollees. They don't have to be OL or DBs, necessarily but that would be a plus. The EEs allow us to bring in more talent.

Advertisement
Back