Im missing something here in the report

getcaned

Sophomore
there is no mention of our already reduced scholarships... This is copied directly from their report for the football team.

Football program penalties

Reduction of football scholarship by a combined total of nine during the 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons.
Miami may only provide a prospect on unofficial visits complementary tickets for one home game during the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.
Self-imposed by the university:
Two year bowl ban following the 2011 and 2012 seasons, including the 2012 ACC Championship game.
Reduction of official paid visits for 2012-13 by 20 percent to a total of 36 visits.
Reduction of fall evaluations in 2012-13 by six (from 42 to 36).
Reduction of available contact days during the 2012-13 contact period by 20 percent.

Advertisement
So does that mean golden has already taken the 9 scholly reduction?

So the real total loss is 9 as oppose to 19 (self imposed + NCAA)?

that what im confused on. maybe when the school makes their statement it will be clearer. if so things just got even brighter. we need some legal aide in here for some clarification!!!

Basically, our low scholarship numbers right now are not directly related to the NCAA.

Ok, I THINK I understand this. Bear with me.

USC etc got reductions, but they were not only against the cap but per class as well. THAT is the thing that really hamstrings a program. You can't oversign to make up for attrition.

Staying at a cap against the 85 isn't a big deal. Its when you need a class of 28 kids and you can only sign 16 because you are limited to a specifically smaller class that year. USC got something like 18/16/15.

From what it appears, we do NOT have any class restrictions! It isn't noted anywhere. I THINK, we're just held to 85. Note this specific line:

3. Reduction in Athletics Awards. The total number of athletically related
financial aid awards in football shall be reduced by a combined total of nine
during the 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2016-17 academic years. The institution shall
reduce the total number of athletics awards during each academic year. The
institution has the option of assigning the reductions during those years.

That "option" at the end, signals to me that all we have to do is stay at 82. NO SPECIFIC CLASS REDUCTIONS.

If we were limited to 22/22/22 over three years, we'd end up playing down at 72 or so in the end, not 82. The attrition in the first case would be cumulative because you are continuously prevented from oversigning to make up for smaller classes and lost kids.

Guys, we, and may other schools play below the cap all the time. Its hard to get it perfect. If I am interpreting this correctly, these reductions are practically just for show. We got off.

WE SKATE1!!!

Advertisement
We never self imposed scholly reductions. Golden just prepped the roster for worse case scenario most likely.

Advertisement
Back