I'm Going To Ask A Really Uneducated (maybe dumb) Question..

I remember seeing a story on ESPN about it. Might have been high school. The guy just went all in on analytics. If I remember, the team was pretty successful.

Triple option teams go for it on fourth and short a lot. It’s near impossible to keep one of those teams from getting one yard.

Yeah, maybe that’s where I saw it. I honestly can’t remember if I saw it, or read about it. But it had to have been a few years ago.

I wish someone that follows the pats more closely would tell me if I’m right about that memory I have of Belichick going through a spell where he was going for it a bunch on fourth down - could’ve been like 10 years ago

Advertisement
Some say that no question is too stupid to ask. Others however, say dont ask questions that confirm to the listener that you are stupid. What a dilemma......
Never ceases to amaze me how threads evolve into subjects that aren’t remotely close to the intended subject of the OP.

I’ve never been afraid to ask questions. Asking questions leads to acquiring knowledge and hopefully reduce stupidity.

Here is the bottom line. If there is a returner on one side of the field and you kick it into the other side where the returner is not, the minute the ball touches into the end zone the play is dead and the receiving team takes over at the 25 yard line. That has been the rule since 2018. In prior years the receiving team had to recover the football and if the kicking team recovered it in the end zone it was a touchdown for the kicking team. Now a kicking team can recover a ball that is recovered before crossing the end zone and it gets the ball at that point. But if you kick a ball and it goes out of bounds the offense gets the receiving team starts play at the 35 yard line. In pros the receiving team gets the ball at the forty I think. Most teams have two kick returners one on each side of the field. And when it is apparent the ball is kicked to the right, the left returner comes to the right to block for the guy who catches the ball if it is short of the goal line.

JJ had his kickers kick to one side of the field and ST's closed in on the returner since he was limited in escape routes. When we played WV in the 1st quarter we held them inside the 10 and even created a fumble. It seemed that only a few minutes ran off the clock and we were up 21 nothing. Saint Bobby had a trick though, he slede one returner to the other side of the field and the player with the ball ran a few yards and then passed across to the isolated returner who scored a TD, we still won the game though.

That’s actually been legitimately tried, and if I’m not mistaken, there was some coach somewhere that almost always went for it on fourth down.

I can’t remember if it was a lower division college, or high school , or a junior college.

Also, if I recall correctly, and I’m not sure if it was this guy, there was some guy that ran some kind of a statistical analysis that pointed to a greater success/win rate for consistently going for it on fourth down

Another vague recollection I have, didn’t Belichick go through a phase, like maybe 10 years ago, where he was going on it for fourth down quite a bit?
Yes I remember reading about that coach.. Never punted. Ever. And he was successful. His teams were consistently in the hunt for state titles. It’s actually an interesting strategy, and changes up your down schedule.

maybe we should’ve tried that last season.

Advertisement
I remember seeing a story on ESPN about it. Might have been high school. The guy just went all in on analytics. If I remember, the team was pretty successful.

Triple option teams go for it on fourth and short a lot. It’s near impossible to keep one of those teams from getting one yard.

Kevin Kelley. High school coach in Arkansas, I think.

192524D9-A797-42A9-B02A-02F601C3B5C4.jpeg

BACK TO BACK PRIME TIME GAMES......SEC MAD.....😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Advertisement
Kevin Kelly at Pulaski High in Arkansas is who people are thinking of with the going for it on 4th down, etc. They had a high school game on ESPN last year or the heat before. It was very interesting and fun to see for sure.

I notice that when any team kicks off the ball almost always goes to, or over the head, of the opponent standing near their own goal line. I looked at the NCAA rules (which is a **** hole of a place) and cannot find an answer to this question. Must we always kick towards the opposing team player? Why can't we kick to the side of the end zone where he ain't?
Very simple. If he’s stupid enough to try and return it, we can kick him in the balls for a bonus.

Some say that no question is too stupid to ask. Others however, say dont ask questions that confirm to the listener that you are stupid. What a dilemma......
Don't be afraid to ask a stupid question was the advice I got on the first day of my journalism degree.

Lived by it, tbh.

Advertisement
I see Maddog20/20, but not Maddog72.

Two returnees back there, they move under it, and that's that.

Also, if you put the ball directionally to one side of the field versus directly down the middle, it makes the field smaller in that the team kicking can eliminate some of the field by heading to the section you kicked to.

If they've got someone who is blazing fast, you will likely see directional kicking to a section of the field, but with a higher trajectory. The thought here is that it will allow your team to get there, forcing a fair catch, and typically these land somewhere around the 10 to 15 yard line. ***** it up and you're susceptible to the punt returner rounding the less loaded up side of the field.

Best case scenario, have a kicker who can get it out the back of the end zone and that's that.
Thanks! That's a logical answer!

Advertisement
Well, the guy getting hit by the ball has little chance of recovering it, that's for sure.

Remember the play against FSU several years back where our kicker shanked the kickoff but we recovered it 25-30 yards down the field? I think that is the deadest part of the field on a kickoff. 20 yards, near the sideline. You catch a team napping and it's like a forward pass to a wide open player. Not sure why it isn't tried from time to time. No one would see it coming, literally. With the kicker we have, it would work. With Baxa... maybe not worth the try.

"Bubba Baxa lines up for the kickoff... he kicks it! Wait, did he just take out a cheerleader, Bob?"
"Well Jim, it's the ONLY way he'd ever take out a cheerleader, if you know what I mean."
Ball has to hit the ground first though, and the way a football is gonna bounce isn't exactly predictable.

Years ago on Monday Night Football when Dungy came to Tampa with the Colts the refs blew the ruling. They did an inside kick where the kicker popped it up in the air and gave it to the colts.

Advertisement
Back