I'm dumb...

305_separatist

Threskiornithidae
Premium
And not in the know with anything but the bare basic recruiting concepts and rules. Given the fact we're well below the max scholarship numbers (85? I think i saw a post that we're around 72-74?), I'm curious as to how the path looks like to rebuilding the roster to full strength. As I understand it we're limited to the number of players we can take in one class unfortunately, but im not sure what that number actually is accounting for early enrollees, transfers etc.

Just want to get a rough idea as to how our classes will potentially look like numbers wise with the rise of the Manny train in sfl, especially after crowning ourselves state champions this year and enjoying the recruiting momentum that comes with that. Given ongoing attrition is this something that can be fixed in a year or two, or more like quatro?

Advertisement
I read online that very few top P5 teams have full allotment (85). Teams are more likely to have 75-80 schollies than 85. Reaslitically, we should be around 75-80 mark year in and year out, especially with the portal.

And not in the know with anything but the bare basic recruiting concepts and rules. Given the fact we're well below the max scholarship numbers (85? I think i saw a post that we're around 72-74?), I'm curious as to how the path looks like to rebuilding the roster to full strength. As I understand it we're limited to the number of players we can take in one class unfortunately, but im not sure what that number actually is accounting for early enrollees, transfers etc.

Just want to get a rough idea as to how our classes will potentially look like numbers wise with the rise of the Manny train in sfl, especially after crowning ourselves state champions this year and enjoying the recruiting momentum that comes with that. Given ongoing attrition is this something that can be fixed in a year or two, or more like quatro?

There is a very simple 2-step process:

1. Sign the max number of recruits
2. Retain as many recruits as possible

That's it. We already have a great APR, so the guys we sign manage to graduate from UM or another institution. So it's not like we are losing a bunch of guys due to criminal behavior, where they never finish college. We just need to keep more guys at UM.

There is a very simple 2-step process:

1. Sign the max number of recruits
2. Retain as many recruits as possible

That's it. We already have a great APR, so the guys we sign manage to graduate from UM or another institution. So it's not like we are losing a bunch of guys due to criminal behavior, where they never finish college. We just need to keep more guys at UM.

So what is #1? 25? And how do transfers and early enrolees get counted?

Advertisement
So what is #1? 25? And how do transfers and early enrolees get counted?

25 per year. Everyone who gets a scholarship for the first time (unless you have been enrolled at UM for 1 full year) counts as an IC. Transfers count. Grad transfers count. Early enrollees count.

There is a tiny amount of "counting back" that can be done, but only 5 and only if you have 5 slots available (and we have probably burned through most of that with the Portal guys).

If you signed all HS players, the max #, and they all stay for 5 years, that is 125 ICs, and you have a roster cap of 85. So you can "lose" up to 8 guys per year (average) with no damage. Beyond that...you will be under 85.

The IC rules are quite challenging. Once you fall below 85, it is hard to get back, particularly if you had heavy attrition due to a coaching change.

Most teams are AT LEAST a couple of players below 85. Miami might be a bit on the high side, if we are more than 10 below (and keep in mind, I am talking about RECRUITED players, because we probably get to an "official" 85 by offering scholarships to walk-ons).

25 per year. Everyone who gets a scholarship for the first time (unless you have been enrolled at UM for 1 full year) counts as an IC. Transfers count. Grad transfers count. Early enrollees count.

There is a tiny amount of "counting back" that can be done, but only 5 and only if you have 5 slots available (and we have probably burned through most of that with the Portal guys).

If you signed all HS players, the max #, and they all stay for 5 years, that is 125 ICs, and you have a roster cap of 85. So you can "lose" up to 8 guys per year (average) with no damage. Beyond that...you will be under 85.

The IC rules are quite challenging. Once you fall below 85, it is hard to get back, particularly if you had heavy attrition due to a coaching change.

Most teams are AT LEAST a couple of players below 85. Miami might be a bit on the high side, if we are more than 10 below (and keep in mind, I am talking about RECRUITED players, because we probably get to an "official" 85 by offering scholarships to walk-ons).

Thanks for the info. The counting back is what really throws me. So if you didn't hit the 25 number the previous year, you can count the next years early enrollees and transfers toward that instead of the current years 25? That's what it's sounded like to me before but I was never really sure.

With the way the current set up is, it will be hard to get back to 85.

Nobody has exactly 85 scholarship players on their roster. At least not for more than a year or so. Too much attrition with players leaving early, transferring or just plain getting kicked off the team to account for. Ideally, you'd like around 80 guys.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back