+/- Illinois (We Made the Sweet 16 Edition)

Dan E. Dangerously

This board...it's my note
Maude
Plus:

+We're Going to the Sweet 16: Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

+Rion "Downtown" Brown: Stepped up big time and dropped 21 to lead the team to the win, 5-10 from three. No shots were bigger than his 2 free throws at the end to ice it. I saw someone tweet that we lost to Hawai'i early in the year because he missed 2 free throws late, 4 months later we're going to the sweet 16 because he knocks down two big ones.

+Barry Larkin's Son: He wasn't perfect, but his 17 points were needed as usual, and his step-back 3 to give us the lead for good was some G ****.

+Gamble Bomb:

BGLBfpYCQAEzIlV.jpg

+Coach L:

127.gif

So many feels right now.

Minus:

-Gamble Tweeking his ankle: My butt-hole clenched when it happened. We went small the rest of the way and suffered on the glass for it, but whatev we won anyway.

There's other things that didn't go well, but I'm too busy being happy that we're still dancing to give a ****.

Advertisement
Plus:

+We're Going to the Sweet 16: Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

+Rion "Downtown" Brown: Stepped up big time and dropped 21 to lead the team to the win, 5-10 from three. No shots were bigger than his 2 free throws at the end to ice it. I saw someone tweet that we lost to Hawai'i early in the year because he missed 2 free throws late, 4 months later we're going to the sweet 16 because he knocks down two big ones.

+Barry Larkin's Son: He wasn't perfect, but his 17 points were needed as usual, and his step-back 3 to give us the lead for good was some G ****.

+Gamble Bomb:

View attachment 23398

+Coach L:

127.gif

So many feels right now.

Minus:

-Gamble Tweeking his ankle: My butt-hole clenched when it happened. We went small the rest of the way and suffered on the glass for it, but whatev we won anyway.

There's other things that didn't go well, but I'm too busy being happy that we're still dancing to give a ****.

+1 Enjoy it tonight my friends.

Amazing what a difference in rebounding without Julian in there... that kid has gotten so key.

Advertisement
Amazing what a difference in rebounding without Julian in there... that kid has gotten so key.

This.. anyone else see Kadji completely forget to box out one of their guys with ~3 mins left and it resulted in points for them? Kadji seemed to be playing poorly on D until after the 1:45 mark after a timeout.

+ I'm assuming the coaches saw this and got on him during the timeout. He stepped up on D after

Kadji was horrendous...I'm sorry but he is killing us right now. If we get an average game from him we win by 8-12.

Advertisement
we can beat Marquette with this team....after that without a true big man or any help with larkin we will need some luck...Illinois laid out the plan on how to take larkin out of the game ( sort of)...he had no help off the dribble to set the offense and tempo.....should be fun

we can beat Marquette with this team....after that without a true big man or any help with larkin we will need some luck...Illinois laid out the plan on how to take larkin out of the game ( sort of)...he had no help off the dribble to set the offense and tempo.....should be fun

And he still had 17 and 5....

Illinois also has the speed in it's big men to be able to do it. Marquette trying to duplicate that could either have great success or could wind up getting burnt repeatedly by it. ILL only got burnt by it badly on 3 occasions, one of which was when they did it to Scott and he flew for the dunk.

Kadji was horrendous...I'm sorry but he is killing us right now. If we get an average game from him we win by 8-12.

He is killing us right now. HAHAHAHA. Please stop posting. He had an off night but those 6 straight points saved us and helped us win.

Advertisement
Nobody is awarding style points - just have to win. Illinois is tough, physical team and can shoot the 3. Canes gutted it out so let's enjoy it.

I think you are half correct. Sure they were semi-able to contain Larkin, who had 17 points and 5 assists, but when our other players had open shots they didn't help us. Scott missed some shots, TMJ missed some shots, Kadji missed a lot of short looks and we had to stick around with an inferior team.

Illinois decided that they were going to force other players to step-up and beat them. Rion Brown stepped up but our usually suspects (Scott and TMJ) didn't do anything. In addition, with a team with no inside presence Gamble and RJ did little to nothing to score (2 combined points).

Advertisement
For a huge plus was clutch free throw shooting. All year we worried our poor shooting at the line might cost us a game in the tournament, but when the chips were down we came through and iced the game.

He is killing us right now. HAHAHAHA. Please stop posting. He had an off night but those 6 straight points saved us and helped us win.

He was the key to the game last night. If he was able to punish them by hitting the open threes it would have killed their defense on how they were defending the pick n roll/pop. Don't even get me started on defense, that was really where he was atrocious...he wouldn't rotate over leaving wide open shooters and he was soft as **** getting killed on the glass and leading them to get many second chance shots.

The six straight points were great, but we aren't getting out of the sweet 16 unless he starts to play like the old kadji.

He hit some big FTs last night, but Kadji otherwise was just awful. He was watching shots on the defensive end way too often leading to countless Illinois offensive rebounds. His offensive struggles were obvious and don't need to be stated.

That said, I'm not really worried about him. Just a bad game.

He was the key to the game last night. If he was able to punish them by hitting the open threes it would have killed their defense on how they were defending the pick n roll/pop. Don't even get me started on defense, that was really where he was atrocious...he wouldn't rotate over leaving wide open shooters and he was soft as **** getting killed on the glass and leading them to get many second chance shots.

The six straight points were great, but we aren't getting out of the sweet 16 unless he starts to play like the old kadji.

Duly noted but the kid aint killing us. Just hyperbole and kadji had a decent game of 10 and 8.

The defense held them to 59 and I will take that. Kadji didnt hurt us except for the FT. We must hit.

Advertisement
Back