ILB Kain Daub down to two schools

TexCane

Sophomore
3/18/13: As reported by Noles247, 5-star ILB Kain Daub announced on Saturday at NFTC Camp in Orlando that he has narrowed down his schools to FSU and Alabama. He plans to make his decision by late spring or early summer.

Daub is rated at 98 and ranked the #2 ILB in the nation by the 247Sports Composite.

Tex

Advertisement
I like Beck out of Tampa Plant better, and hope UM can get him locked up soon. Unfortantely though Beck has been very quite about his interest in UM, barely speaking with CS about his interest in UM after receiving his offer. I am hoping Antonio Crawford was in his ear over spring break.

Go Canes

Kid is all FSU.

He is also very overrated. See Jeff Luc.

Makes sense with FSU. Their bust to 5 star ratio is probably the highest of all time.

I always thought Saban and co were good talent evaluators, but I wonder that is just confirmation bias. With the sheer amount of top talent he pulls through, both because they win and therefore get a lot of interest and seem to sign more recruits than anybody and just push those out who don't succeed, maybe its more identifying the top performers once they are in the system than world class evaluation up front.

Kid is all FSU.

Makes sense with FSU. Their bust to 5 star ratio is probably the highest of all time.

I always thought Saban and co were good talent evaluators, but I wonder that is just confirmation bias. With the sheer amount of top talent he pulls through, both because they win and therefore get a lot of interest and seem to sign more recruits than anybody and just push those out who don't succeed, maybe its more identifying the top performers once they are in the system than world class evaluation up front.

Well Bama runs a different scheme than most schools so they probably won't have a problem signing a LB who's over-sized and stiff. They prefer bangers in their interior. Their scheme requires it. The new DC at FSU was at Bama so he'll probably run the same scheme.

Advertisement
Kid is all FSU.

Well Bama runs a different scheme than most schools so they probably won't have a problem signing a LB who's over-sized and stiff. They prefer bangers in their interior. Their scheme requires it. The new DC at FSU was at Bama so he'll probably run the same scheme.

Don't know much about the 3-4. Are the bigger guys who may be a little stiffer used as hybrid DEs exclusively or middle backers as well? Do they have any responsibility down field in certain situations or is it all within 5 yards of the LOS?

Also, good point about the FSU DC. Do you think that is a gradual transition or do they have the horses to run a bama style defense right now?

I like Beck out of Tampa Plant better, and hope UM can get him locked up soon. Unfortantely though Beck has been very quite about his interest in UM, barely speaking with CS about his interest in UM after receiving his offer. I am hoping Antonio Crawford was in his ear over spring break.

Go Canes

Hope you're right, but this is the type of post DannyBoy used to make all the time.

Kid is all FSU.

Don't know much about the 3-4. Are the bigger guys who may be a little stiffer used as hybrid DEs exclusively or middle backers as well? Do they have any responsibility down field in certain situations or is it all within 5 yards of the LOS?

Also, good point about the FSU DC. Do you think that is a gradual transition or do they have the horses to run a bama style defense right now?

Here is a good excerpt on Bama's Defense:
Coach Nick Saban has long employed a 3-4 base defense with an emphasis on stuffing the run. He does so in part by recruiting and relying on super-sized middle linebackers like Hightower (6-foot-4, 260 pounds his final season) and 2009 All-America Rolando McClain (6-4, 258). Mosley is a more modestly proportioned 6-2, 232. So when Alabama is in its "regular" defense, Saban and defensive coordinator Kirby Smart utilize Johnson (6-3, 245) and DePriest (6-2, 245) as the two inside linebackers. Both are considered better run defenders than Mosley.
Fortunately for Mosley, however, Alabama only uses its base defense about 20 percent of the time. Between the preponderance of spread offenses with three- or four-receiver sets and the fact that opponents often find themselves in second- and third-and-long passing situations, the Tide often line up in nickel or dime packages, in which Mosley either pairs with DePriest or is positioned as the lone inside 'backer.
"If an offense is a more of a run-type team or regular team, I won't be on the field as much," said Mosley, citing LSU as an example. "But if it's more of a passing team, I'll be on the filed more." http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...-mosley-alabama-bcs-title-game/#ixzz2NvbVo1eA

If you to know more about the nickel and dime packages read this about the Star & Money positions http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2012/08/alabama_defense_101_nickel_sta.html

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back