If you were the OC, what would you have done different...

Seems like we needed to stick to some short slants and outs since they were all over the RPO and getting pressure when they wanted.

Advertisement
I would have done everything possible to match my RB on their LB's in the passing game.
I would have thrown more screens to the RB's.
Try to find a short intermediate passing game throwing to RB's and TE's on first and second down.
I would have rolled the pocket more to get away from presure and give King a better pass run option.
If I going to throw a bomb I throwing it to Roster match up on a LB.
I don't know **** but I know we weren't really doing anything to counter their pressure.

Last edited:
Some misdirection, RB screens, TE's attacking the MOF. IDK, just seemed like LB's were shooting gaps and blitzing all night long. Hard to believe that nothing would be open behind that. Even if it's only 5 yard completions, who cares.

Also, dunno if others have noticed but King has a tendency to line drive passes that probably should have a bit of touch to them. The pass to Mallory was a perfect example, but he's been doing it and getting away with it against lesser teams. The TD to Brevin against FSU was a good example. He got it by the LB, but man it really should have gone over his head instead of right by his head.

Advertisement
Some misdirection, RB screens, TE's attacking the MOF. IDK, just seemed like LB's were shooting gaps and blitzing all night long. Hard to believe that nothing would be open behind that. Even if it's only 5 yard completions, who cares.

Also, dunno if others have noticed but King has a tendency to line drive passes that probably should have a bit of touch to them. The pass to Mallory was a perfect example, but he's been doing it and getting away with it against lesser teams. The TD to Brevin against FSU was a good example. He got it by the LB, but man it really should have gone over his head instead of right by his head.
Yep. We had no short to intermediate passing game. Those 5 yard completions keep you in good down and distance and drives alive. Plus they make the defense adjust...something they didn't need to do all night since all we did was bombs and inside runs.

Advertisement
Crossers....mesh routes, smash, screens, bubbles,

Everything I saw Lawrence doing I would’ve done the same.

King and scheme has masked some of our OL issues But we still got these same dudes. They aren’t going to pass block for 10 seconds.

King needs to get the ball out in 3 seconds or start looking to take off.

He had some running lanes open if he takes off faster. It looked like he was trying to force the throw and show people he can be a passer.

Go watch the INT rollout to the red zone. When he threw that ball the corner is already in the end zone with the WR. The safety/lb was one on with king and he had a blocker but was trying to make a big play.

There was no one within 20 yards of him. With his speed he might have ran than into the end zone or picked up at least 20 yards.

They were playing aggressively on every down. We should’ve run a lot more misdirection plays to use their aggression against them.

Also should’ve run a lot more RB hot routes to counter their blitzing. They blitzed a ton, or ran stunts with their DL.

Advertisement
*I wouldve called the game the same way it was called no need to show all our **** when we have 7 games left on the schedule and a possible rematch in Charlotte would you?*

*Im sure Diaz and the coordinators wanted to taste defeat from a perennial powerhouse school to encourage our athletes for the rest of the year and get revenge when it matters most*

😁😎

*sarcasm for the slow ones*

Advertisement
Screen Passes

Bootlegs

Delayed draws

Counter / Toss plays

More slants / wr bubbles.

Clemson was going quick to negate our pass rush, I was bamming my head against the ***’n wall asking why we weren’t doing the same.

Last edited:
I like Lashlee's offense but he laid a bit of an egg yesterday. Prime example = repeatedly running Cam Harris into a stacked box for a loss or no yards.

What we should have done differently:

1) More Knighton & Chaney. Cam has been great against lesser competition but he doesn't have the burst of Knighton (who I think would have been more effective in this game). I would have thrown the ball to Knighton & let him run (while they were stacking the box).

2) Target Brevin & Mallory far more. They are your best "receivers". They will both have very good NFL careers. They should be a "two-headed monster" and be giving opponents fits. Lashlee needs to use his best weapons more (which definitely includes the TEs).

3) Played the younger WRs more. What the heck is the point of trotting out the same upperclassmen that don't catch the ball, protect the QB (on underthrown balls) or win any contact battles? Smith and Redding will likely all be more dependable than the upperclassmen. In this game, the upperclassmen at WR were almost a complete non-factor (Venables knew that if he contained our RBs and D'Eriq and took away most of the throws to our TEs, Clemson would win). Attrition of our WR corps showed up big time in this game (especially the loss of JT4). We need to recruit the heck out of the WR position and have some more physical WRs (that don't disappear against Clemson) if we want to beat them consistently in the coming years.

4) More intermediate passes. Simple throws to take what they were giving.

5) More trick plays & plays that win by design.

6) More scrambling by D'Eriq. He makes people miss & has a huge heart. He should have run more in this game to keep the chains moving.

7) Adjust more quickly when you see clearly that what you're doing is not working. Why consistently run straight into the teeth of their defense/stacked box for no gain or a loss?

Venables is a very good coach and his unit plays tough, disciplined football but Lashlee should have: (1) had a better game plan to neutralize what they were doing and (2) adjusted early in the first half to what they were doing (waiting until the second half put us in a huge hole).

Roll outs, waggles, screens, sceens, screens, slants, wheel routes and in general prioritized the passing game in this order:
  1. TE's
  2. RB's
  3. WR's

Advertisement
Back