If you think Jim Morris is a lazy, content figurehead.......

CaneWasher

Thunderdome
Go by and check out a practice one day over the next few weeks. I was out there yesterday, and Morris was running everything. It was all business, and he even laid into a couple of guys, particularly Laz Rivera at second base during BP.

Advertisement
LOL u made an excuse for the past 5 years by a couple minutes/hours of you watching.

I don't give a ****, we are the U, it is every kid's dream who lives in South Florida, PR, DR, Venezuela, etc. to play here.

Omaha or bust every year.

on my ignore list, looking to start trouble.
everyone avoid.

When we do that it usually ends up turning into a ****ing match between you and some other idiot.

And exactly how do you really analyze a coach really laying into someone? Practice just began Monday.

I've never thought of Morris as a players' coach by any means, and nor do the players. From my experience of interacting with players throughout my time here, Larranaga is the man, everyone loves him and says he is the man. Al Golden is very mixed, some loved, some hated, and some were indifferent; a lot of the older, now gone players didn't buy into his process at the beginning IMO. Morris is the opposite of Coach L, never really hear anyone say anything that positive of him. They don't hate him, it's more that he is just kind of the coach and the relationship kind of seems to stop there. They don't trust and believe in him 100%. He is a "What have you done recently for me" type of guy. Would strongly guess that they had a much better atmosphere in the regional out in Lexington when Morris was sick in the hospital. This is why he should be gone already, I don't think he has all of the team's undivided support and attention.

Recruiting needs to change. Was talking to Michael Broad on campus and said Jim Morris doesn't even know recruits' names when they come to campus. Probably a pretty big reason why have super elite talent that commits here that usually gets drafted, and not a lot of lower-middle round draft picks that come here. I know Dimare is the recruiting coordinator, but if the head coach doesn't know who you are on a visit, why the **** would you want to ever go there?

Cooper Hammond just had 5 K in 3 scoreless innings today in the scrimmage.

Catcher
Garret Kennedy was on ******* fire from the plate during the regional last year. Everyone knows his defense is extremely solid, but look for him to take another big step offensively this year.
If not, Zack Collins can catch, but apparently he is dreadful behind the dish.
Also incoming freshman Carlos Diaz is going to be about as good as you can get defensively behind the plate, his offensive production is the only question. I've actually played with him in high school in PA...long story, nonetheless is a defensive wizard, and I really mean that.

IF
We need David Thompson to really step up and show everyone why he was the number 9 rated prospect by Baseball America last year.
Can Fieger finally take that next step as a senior and be a solid middle impact of the order guy for us consistently?
You'd figure Lopez and Hernandez have the middle infield positions theirs to lose.
Chris Barr is a sure gloved 1B who had a pretty solid OBP for hitting around the Mendoza line as he started to play more towards the end of last year. He'll maybe get a chance at 1B depending on how they handle the DH of Collins/Thompson/Fieger and the OF if he can produce offensively.

OF
This is going to be pretty wide open as no one proved themselves worthy of a certain spot last year. Look once again for Dale Carey to probably star the year as a CF.
Look for Tyler Palmer to continue to be dismal in the OF, unless he can really hit the **** out of the ball or Jacob Heyward proves a lot of doubters wrong and takes a corner spot.
I would imagine Abreut could have a starting spot if he pans out as everyone had predicted.
As mentioned above, Chris Barr will probably get a chance as well.

I see this team as getting better this year, but not a serious threat to win the ACC. On the Super regional bubble probably.

Collins apparently hitting the **** out of the ball in the intrasquad games so far.

I'll preview pitching later if it's okay with CaneWasher.

Advertisement
Talked to David T. a couple weeks ago, and he said his shoulder is the best its felt in almost 2 years - very upbeat. He's ready to go.

Talked to David T. a couple weeks ago, and he said his shoulder is the best its felt in almost 2 years - very upbeat. He's ready to go.

At the practice I attended he was playing third base and was just pointing at first instead of throwing the ball, so it can't be that good.

Advertisement
Without even reading, I'm not worried about his work ethic unless that specifically leads to the team's inability to do the little things correctly. Since most of the time the more you do something, the better you are at it, something has been missing.

Morris cannot play the game for the players, but the amount of fundamental mistakes in the field, at the plate and on the bases concerns me that the work is not being done and commitment is lacking on many fronts.

I know Laz pretty well and he's a quiet, Yes sir-no sir type of kid. Him getting laid into comes as a surprise.

Go by and check out a practice one day over the next few weeks. I was out there yesterday, and Morris was running everything. It was all business, and he even laid into a couple of guys, particularly Laz Rivera at second base during BP.

Are you serious with this? Did you expect him to be sitting in the dugout?

Advertisement
Fall Ball raps up this Friday with pro scout day. They run the 60 @ 2:30 and then everyone will get a chance in the intrasquad game @ 3:15. Everyone should be at their best, should be interesting.

Still have almost 3 and a half months until opening day.

At the practice I attended he was playing third base and was just pointing at first instead of throwing the ball, so it can't be that good.

They're being cautious with the come back. He's batting, running, working the throwing in sparingly so in drills he's doing that. Says it'll come.

Advertisement
Back