If you gave up tickets under Golden will you get them now?

Advertisement
After having student tickets for four years and then season tickets for 15 years, I gave them up in the Golden Era. I will be back in 2016. I also look forward to going back to the booster events when the AD and football coach travel around the state.

I cancelled my HC membership and all donations after last season. I emailed Blake and told him I wouldn't send one penny to the school as long as they were wasting millions of dollars a year on a group of underperforming employees. That showed me that the university was not being good stewards of my donations, had money to burn, and didn't need any more from me. I also told him that every phone call, letter and email solicitation would be answered with the above sentiments, and email responses would be copied to him.

I get numerous calls every year, from the Medical School in particular, soliciting donations. I told every one of those poor work-study students who called that they needed to ask Blake for donations. That the athletic dept. had money they were just wasting. Some of them even commented that I was not the only one who had similar complaints.

Well, the day Golden was fired, I renewed my HC membership (at a lower level than before), and emailed Blake. I promised him that I would up my contribution to the HC and restore my regular donations to the school, based on how he handled the hiring of the new coach. Well, Blake, the administration and the BOT went beyond what I expected, and I will stick to my word.

I live in California now, so I don't get to as many games as I would like. However, last season I stopped going to all games. Now, I will start going again, whenever I am able. Blake has earned my respect and my money, and I owe my Alma Mater and the players my loyalty. I don't regret the tough love, because it was the only way I could express my concerns and dissatisfaction. I know the absence of my donations and attendance may not have been noticed, but I do believe that there were many more like me that collectively made at least some people within UM notice.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back