If we HAD to lose to a Coastal team, we're fortunate that it's UNC

But, FSU always plays Miami tough. For instance, I recall the vast majority, but not all, of Cane fandom predicting a DOUBLE-DIGIT home win against FSU last season. Yikes. And I, also, thought the Canes would handily defeat FSU by double-digits. duh

Add in the fact that we always let FSU beat us the week after as well is not a good sign of things to come. Going back to Golden we never play well the game after FSU, win or lose.

Advertisement
Good stuff, Sloppy Top. UM should hire you as the new Yamma Yamma Man with your cheerleading skills.

It’s foolish talking about winning the Coastal right now after getting slapped by a 2-10 team. We could lose to every ACC team we play just as easily as we could beat them. This team is far too sporadic and disjointed to be thinking any grand thoughts.
Sloppy top lmao!

Never in my life did I think a miami hurricane fan would say "we was fortunate that it was UNC we lost to". Then I take a look and see UNC is a 3 point dog Friday night at Wake Forrest.

Not only did the state of the program fall off the map so did the standards.
Dude, this post was hilarious!

Is there a reason that UNC has three crossover games this year? (WF NC State Clemson) they have 9 conf games this year compared to the normal 8? not to get too far ahead but what does that do for a tiebreaker scenario for the coastal? (miss me with the "loser mentality ... we will win out blah blah")

Is there a reason that UNC has three crossover games this year? (WF NC State Clemson) they have 9 conf games this year compared to the normal 8? not to get too far ahead but what does that do for a tiebreaker scenario for the coastal? (miss me with the "loser mentality ... we will win out blah blah")

Don’t hold me to this but if I remember correctly, they have a deal with Wake like we have with FSU in baseball. Whenever FSU isn’t in our baseball rotation we still play a weekend series with them and it doesn’t count toward ACC records.

Advertisement
You can pretend UNC is devoid of talent all you want, but that's just not true. They worst finish they've had in recruiting in the modern era is 5th in the ACC - obviously FSU, Clemson, and Miami are going to out-recruit them every year, but let's not pretend they haven't done well for themselves on the trail. Fedora can't run a program and can't coach, but he was no slouch at recruiting. Injuries, suspensions, and inept program management is what sunk their ship before.

You can reiterate tired narratives all you want - yes, we've out-recruited them, yes, we should have won, yes, we're a perpetual disappointment - but devoid of talent they are not. Everyone and their moms should have seen that they were a prime candidate to turn a corner this year with Mack - at least those paying attention.

I’m with you. A lot of fans sound like Florida fans when they talked about us losing to wisky in our bowl game. All offseason they said “did you see how wisky ran all over them? Just think of perine is going to do.” And we responded “if your hanging your hat on that game you’ll be mistaken.”

And to a degree it’s the same with UNC. They were a mid-level talent team that should be taken seriously that quit on their coach and had a bunch of injuries. It’s obvious that this team is going to play better and probably be bowl eligible.

LittleSplendidAlligatorgar-max-1mb.gif

But, FSU always plays Miami tough. For instance, I recall the vast majority, but not all, of Cane fandom predicting a DOUBLE-DIGIT home win against FSU last season. Yikes. And I, also, thought the Canes would handily defeat FSU by double-digits. duh
With some exceptions here and there, FSU and Miami always play each other tight, even when the teams are in different places.

Advertisement
You can pretend UNC is devoid of talent all you want, but that's just not true. They worst finish they've had in recruiting in the modern era is 5th in the ACC - obviously FSU, Clemson, and Miami are going to out-recruit them every year, but let's not pretend they haven't done well for themselves on the trail. Fedora can't run a program and can't coach, but he was no slouch at recruiting. Injuries, suspensions, and inept program management is what sunk their ship before.

You can reiterate tired narratives all you want - yes, we've out-recruited them, yes, we should have won, yes, we're a perpetual disappointment - but devoid of talent they are not. Everyone and their moms should have seen that they were a prime candidate to turn a corner this year with Mack - at least those paying attention.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Mack may start out recruiting Manny.

Despite all the doomsday prepping around here, the Coastal is still extremely feasible this season.

UNC has Clemson (loss) and @NC State (potential loss) as their crossovers, as well as the usual Coastal slate. With Clemson as a nearly guaranteed loss, we come about as close as we can to controlling our own destiny in the ACC.

Before everyone else says it, obviously we still need to take care of business and obviously that's something we haven't been able to do in a very long time - but as much as everyone is griping right now, the sun has not set on our season. Beat UVA and take care of the Coastal underlings, and we can still have a shot to play Clemson in December. Our crossovers of FSU and Louisville are extremely winnable.

Go Canes!
"Sunshine Pumper"

Advertisement
I didn't know who their crossovers were, nor did most of the people here I'm guessing.

Who knows how the season will play out. I don't take any comfort from knowing the Coastal is still a possibility, but you posted doesn't bother me either.

The typical porsters are out in full force though getting their digs in. Such a *****y crowd of little men that want to get their shots in any time they can.

Who cares about winning the ******* Coastal? Richt won the Coastal. If I'm not mistaken, Golden would have taken us to the ACC Championship Game had it not been for our self-imposed postseason ban in 2012. (We were in a 3 way tie for the division at 5-3, and I think we would have won on some tiebreaker.)

Both Golden and Richt were coRches anyway.

It's time to be honest about who we are. Who we actually are, not who we like to think we are. Winning the Coastal is our fcking Super Bowl at this point. We've got no reason to think about anything beyond that.

I'm fcking tired of listening to fans of a team that's won their division once in 15 years act like winning their division is no big deal. Like it's too small a goal for them. We're 0-2, winning our division would be a great accomplishment this year. We're at least a year away (almost certainly more) from thinking of any goal higher than that.

So you and your buddies keep living in your time capsule, the rest of us are stuck out here where our team has barely sniffed the division let alone anything higher in a decade and a half.

Advertisement
Exactly!
Win the coastal and get sent to death row vs Clemson! What’s exciting about that?
Not having our team sitting at home that night? Being champions of anything at all? Giving a fck who wins the ACC?

Miami can't seem to win what is possibly the worst division in football, and you're too good for that?

I should also add to all those downplaying winning the Coastal, what's the alternative? We lose more games, don't win the coastal, then what's our perception to those we want to recruit? The Coastal isn't something to hang your hat on (although it could be considering how bad we've sucked for years), but you've gotta start somewhere. The Miami those old of to remember, it's not coming back unless we make some steps towards it even when we aren't ready to play for it all.

It's time to be honest about who we are. Who we actually are, not who we like to think we are. Winning the Coastal is our fcking Super Bowl at this point. We've got no reason to think about anything beyond that.

I'm fcking tired of listening to fans of a team that's won their division once in 15 years act like winning their division is no big deal. Like it's too small a goal for them. We're 0-2, winning our division would be a great accomplishment this year. We're at least a year away (almost certainly more) from thinking of any goal higher than that.

So you and your buddies keep living in your time capsule, the rest of us are stuck out here where our team has barely sniffed the division let alone anything higher in a decade and a half.

Get ready for it, it's coming. The paint chip eaters will be out in full force soon enough.

Advertisement
Back