IF UM wants to be different than previous years

Canenable

Recruit
it looks like VTech is the game that could help prove it. 2.5 point underdog, ESPN gives VTech a 62% probability of winning (whatever ridiculous model they use to calculate that???), seems like everyone thinks this is the November swoon they have grown accustomed to seeing out of us and on the road at VTech is just the ideal spot they think it will happen, hmmm??? Makes it seem like a challenge to overcome. Maybe redefine the trend.

So what can make it different this time around? Well, we have a QB who makes plays like perhaps nobody we have ever had here before. We have a couple of receivers that seem to have screwed their heads on straight and one tight end that can find his way into the endzone on a weekly basis. Sure our Oline is weak but they have been and we just have to work around it. The entire thing comes down to our defense, how will they play? Aggressive like they have to in the 4th quarter when absolutely needed or just play uninspired football the whole game as they have shown a propensity to do?

Guess we find out Saturday at Noon, pray for the best, pray that the kids care as much as we do.

Advertisement
My Canes have trained me to expect a let down this time of year, and apparently they trained everyone else too. It’s understandable. It’s what we do.

But nothing says this year has to follow suit. There are obviously reasons to think it will (eg defensive struggles), and others suggest it will not (eg King).

I am hoping and praying and crossing my fingers that we’ll continue breaking some trends. I would love nothing more than to dominate VT to not only break the trend, but obliterate it. Granted, I want to dominate everyone, but this feels like a statement game... one way or the other.

I don’t care if it’s King, or the Defense, or everyone. Let’s just play to our potential and beat that *** on Saturday at high noon.

Miami is stigmatized for choking away games like this since joining the ACC.

No issue with the Canes being a road dog. Home field between two even teams gives the home team -3—this is currently -2. So be it.

Just win.

King is the difference-maker Miami has lacked since Brock Berlin left town (with his 20-5 two-year record and five combined wins over UF and FSU.) Without King, Miami loses last week at NC State for sure (as it took a Heisman-worthy outing just to eke out a three-point win.)

Games against Louisville, Pittsburgh and Virginia all could've easily have been losses without King, as well.

Hokies at home at noon, in front of a socially distanced Lane Stadium—a far cry from 8pm and a packed house.

They'll also have a hobbled Herbert (tweaked hammy; might not play) and they're coming off an embarrassing upset to Liberty.

This is a game where Miami needs to hit the ground running, get up on them to break their spirits. Let the Hokies hang around and it could be troublesome.

Receivers seem to be jelling and King is working the deep ball nicely—which should help a stifled ground attack.

Wouldn't be shocked if Miami got it done, 34-20 .... also wouldn't be shocked if it was a close battle that goes either way.

Welcome to 2020 and this quirky-*** Canes program.

Miami is stigmatized for choking away games like this since joining the ACC.

No issue with the Canes being a road dog. Home field between two even teams gives the home team -3—this is currently -2. So be it.

Just win.

King is the difference-maker Miami has lacked since Brock Berlin left town (with his 20-5 two-year record and five combined wins over UF and FSU.) Without King, Miami loses last week at NC State for sure (as it took a Heisman-worthy outing just to eke out a three-point win.)

Games against Louisville, Pittsburgh and Virginia all could've easily have been losses without King, as well.

Hokies at home at noon, in front of a socially distanced Lane Stadium—a far cry from 8pm and a packed house.

They'll also have a hobbled Herbert (tweaked hammy; might not play) and they're coming off an embarrassing upset to Liberty.

This is a game where Miami needs to hit the ground running, get up on them to break their spirits. Let the Hokies hang around and it could be troublesome.

Receivers seem to be jelling and King is working the deep ball nicely—which should help a stifled ground attack.

Wouldn't be shocked if Miami got it done, 34-20 .... also wouldn't be shocked if it was a close battle that goes either way.

Welcome to 2020 and this quirky-*** Canes program.

Agree with this-spot on.

Only was to lose that stigma of choking games away is to keep winning. Get off the bus. Take care of business. Win. Come home. That's should be the team's focus Saturday.

Advertisement
Every game is going to be the same around here, first it was they have to win after losing to Clemson. Then it was beat NC State, now it’ll be this. After this game 7-1 still won’t be good enough because they’ll find something else to complain about.
C'mon man. No one is griping, the statements you whine about happen to be true. I hope and trust this team is unique, but we have long suffered.

C'mon man. No one is griping, the statements you whine about happen to be true. I hope and trust this team is unique, but we have long suffered.
Trust me I understand that, but forever in a day all Miami peeps have ever wanted is an offense that plays like any Miami high school. We finally have that, besides Clemson there’s no reason we don’t win out against this schedule. Yea sometimes it might be ugly as ****,
But I’m taking 10-1 ugly wins over 6-6 last year.

I guess the Chiefs wouldn't have made it to the SB last year without Mahomes. WoW I guess the Chiefs suck.

If the defense doesn't have a fire lit under their collective asses after last weeks embarrassment then expect shootouts the rest of the year. We have seen they can turn up the level of play if they need to, now we need that consistency throughout the game.

The offense just needs to keep the momentum from last game. It seems Lashlee has found a nice rhythm with the play calling. It would be nice to have some success running the ball with someone other than King, but don't force it. If King is throwing the way he was vs NCST then let him air it out.

For Christ's sake Liberty just put up 38 points on them last week. We can absolutely match that and expect to exceed it.

Advertisement
...seems like everyone thinks this is the November swoon they have grown accustomed to seeing out of us and on the road at VTech is just the ideal spot they think it will happen, hmmm???

That's a good take, everybody's blaming the models, etc, but based on the last few years its time to prove this is a diffent team

it looks like VTech is the game that could help prove it. 2.5 point underdog, ESPN gives VTech a 62% probability of winning (whatever ridiculous model they use to calculate that???), seems like everyone thinks this is the November swoon they have grown accustomed to seeing out of us and on the road at VTech is just the ideal spot they think it will happen, hmmm??? Makes it seem like a challenge to overcome. Maybe redefine the trend.

So what can make it different this time around? Well, we have a QB who makes plays like perhaps nobody we have ever had here before. We have a couple of receivers that seem to have screwed their heads on straight and one tight end that can find his way into the endzone on a weekly basis. Sure our Oline is weak but they have been and we just have to work around it. The entire thing comes down to our defense, how will they play? Aggressive like they have to in the 4th quarter when absolutely needed or just play uninspired football the whole game as they have shown a propensity to do?

Guess we find out Saturday at Noon, pray for the best, pray that the kids care as much as we do.
moved to tears crying GIF

Advertisement
Back