If the 2020 Season Is Cancelled - Questions

GojiraCane

All ACC
1. Does everyone still lose a year of eligibility with the 2020 season counting?

2. If not, for the 2021 season does the NCAA make a one year allowance for the number of scholarships and increase it? If they are stuck at 85, we could see chaos the likes that has never been seen before as programs push out veteran players to make room for incoming freshmen.

3. If yes, certain teams who were more upperclassmen to begin with now have a huge advantage going into 2021.

4,. How does this affect the stock of players entering the 2021 draft? Does the NFL base their performances on 2019 and try to project? Or do individual workouts now become premium?

Again, I think this is unlikely - but curious what you all think.

Advertisement
Football will look very interesting in 2021. How will coaches and players handle no 2020? Every aspect of every team will be rusty. Incoming freshman will be rusty. Certainly many will lose their "edge." This could be a great equalizer. Or maybe just a few years of sloppy ball. Money is going to be low so I wonder if the spectacle will be different. Or will more money be invested thinking people will want the spectacle more than ever? Basically this is there death penalty for every team.

I don’t know man. If they cancel the 2020 season I don’t see them letting those seniors come back. Especially if they won’t do it for the college basketball seniors.

The NCAA tourney got a lot of kids drafted over the years based on how they perform during March Madness. Especially from mid-majors.

If 2020 football is canceled I suspect the seniors would go pro and draft eligible juniors this season would likely stay as seniors.

Lots of draft eligible juniors that are locks for the draft wont play and got a free year of no injury on the field as well. Gotta take that into account.

My opinion is that we will have football in 2020, both pro and college

Advertisement
I don’t know man. If they cancel the 2020 season I don’t see them letting those seniors come back. Especially if they won’t do it for the college basketball seniors.

The NCAA tourney got a lot of kids drafted over the years based on how they perform during March Madness. Especially from mid-majors.

If 2020 football is canceled I suspect the seniors would go pro and draft eligible juniors this season would likely stay as seniors.
The difference is, the basketball kids got to play almost an entire regular season. They were able to present a large body of work and had played the majority of their games. A cancellation of the football season would mean a year of eligibility wasted on nothing.

Lots of draft eligible juniors that are locks for the draft wont play and got a free year of no injury on the field as well. Gotta take that into account.

My opinion is that we will have football in 2020, both pro and college
My guess at this point is an eight or nine game regular season - possibly just the conference games.

Seniors should have the option to return... most stay to improve draft stock or maybe even create draft buzz/UDFA buzz

I wouldn’t be shocked if some JRs dip no matter what... count it as a blessing they get a injury free year and ride that into draft status

Advertisement

They’ll 100 % let them come back if there’s no season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Well the state of Virginia is shutdown till June 10th. That's the soonest unless they move that goal post again. Other states are announcing similar time frames. I seriously doubt there will be a season this year.

Yeah. I saw that. Are the boys still working out? Or did they close campus gyms?

I know most gyms in most cities are closed. Don’t know about Miami.

If they aren’t working out it’ll be hard to just pop up after 4-5 months and expect these guys to be 100% full speed and not sluggish AF in August.

That goes for all CFB teams.

They’ll 100 % let them come back if there’s no season.
I agree... players get hardship waivers all the time, for example, Scott Patchan is a 6 year senior. Eligibility is the key word here and if this season is cancelled, no eligibility was used. Same as sitting out a year after a transfer or redshirting.

Fauci did say today that this virus will be back this fall. Not great.

Seen that.

Only hope for CFB is a July-August season, and that's assuming warm weather suppresses this virus.

And it's gonna be a loooooooong *** off-season if a treatment/vaccine is available by next year.

Advertisement
Back