If Jimbo goes to LSU...?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I know Fisher's ties to LSU but, in light of what Texas wants to get back to, why wouldn't he be in play there? I like Herman, but Fisher has proven he can give you a ring and Texas can't gamble on upside now.

If Fisher ended up at Texas, Herman could be looking at FSU and LSU. Different jobs, but both can win national championships.

Would LSU look to Dabo?

I see Morris to Baylor as the logical fit.

I know Fisher's ties to LSU but, in light of what Texas wants to get back to, why wouldn't he be in play there? I like Herman, but Fisher has proven he can give you a ring and Texas can't gamble on upside now.

If Fisher ended up at Texas, Herman could be looking at FSU and LSU. Different jobs, but both can win national championships.

Would LSU look to Dabo?

Fisher doesn't know Texas recruiting grounds. Wouldn't be much of an upgrade over Strong imo. Problem with Texas is big money boosters will meddle in every part of the football program. This is well known around college football. Unlimited resources (ain't no money like oil money) but it's a monster headache that many well established coaches just would rather avoid. FSU can't afford Chip Kelly. He'll command 8-9 million dollars per year at least. If I was a Florida resident and found out my tax money was going to pay the FSU coach 8 million per year, I'd incite a riot in Miami.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Would LSU look to Dabo?

Fisher doesn't know Texas recruiting grounds. Wouldn't be much of an upgrade over Strong imo. Problem with Texas is big money boosters will meddle in every part of the football program. This is well known around college football. Unlimited resources (ain't no money like oil money) but it's a monster headache that many well established coaches just would rather avoid. FSU can't afford Chip Kelly. He'll command 8-9 million dollars per year at least. If I was a Florida resident and found out my tax money was going to pay the FSU coach 8 million per year, I'd incite a riot in Miami.

Totally agree that Fisher doesn't have Texas recruiting roots. Not sure that matters. I think UT largely recruits itself, if the staff stays out of the way. Mack Brown showed some measure of that. Also totally agree that the boosters are in charge there. Totally disagree about any other comparisons between Fisher and Strong. I like Strong but, particularly in terms of player development when both had "big time" jobs, no comparison when you look at all three phases of the game.

Nobody ever reads the contracts. No state pays the huge coaching salary. Here is Fisher's FSU contract. Check around page 3.

https://hkm.com/football/wp-content/uploads/coach-contracts/johnfisher-fsu-employment-contract.pdf

Advertisement
Golden or dorito....fly the fuggin banners and make this happen

LOL. I can picture all the FSU players staring at Dorito while he flips through 500 pages of calls. Meanwhile, the other team just ran another bubble screen for 20 yards......rinse and repeat.

Wouldn't be surprised if Kiffin ended up at LSU and Jimbo stays at FSU

That would be a tough hire for LSU. It could be argued that Coach O did a better job with Kiffin's USC team than Kiffin did.

I just don't think they can hire Kiffin. And I actually like Kiffin as a coach.

I think LSU hires Jimbo, Herman, or Larry Fedora. And whoever goes there will have a really nice DC on staff, similar to what Justin Fuente inherited.

And speaking of Fuente ... If he had stayed at Memphis 1 more year, brought in the same JUCO QB he has at VT, and led them to another impressive season as a G5 coach, he may have been a nice fit at LSU.

But I doubt he leaves VT after 1 season ...

Advertisement
Back