If it's really about "education" and "amateur" sports

IMissCoker

Redshirt Freshman
Then pay the coaches like college professors. Some professors are able to pull in six-figures. Give them an extra $5-$10k for coaching football, b-ball, etc, and a travel/food stipend for game day. We wouldn't want million dollar contracts and status as the highest paid public employee in the state to ruin the integrity or amateur status of the game

It would level the playing field for smaller private schools who are worried about public schools with bigger alumni bases and resources. All those alumni dollars could still go to the programs, athletic expenses, etc., just not the pockets of those working in "amateur" sports.

I mean at the end of the day, this is about the student-athlete right? all those resources generated by "amateur" sports should be reinvested in the kids and the school, not "amateur" coaches.

Advertisement
the unrestricted, free market dictates coaching salaries as it does teaching salaries. unfortunately the player's "market" is restricted by an arbitrary and antiquated concept of amateurism.

I am fine in paying athletes provided that
- they have to pay for tuition, room and board
- they also have to pay for health care cost
- you can cut them any time you want - especially in right to work states

As long as everyone is ok with Miami playing DII football and players having to pay for their education, taxes and still can be cut then sure why not through it all out the window. Since we are going to allow this lets let them transfer to whatever school they want so after we do get a player that balls out, he transfers to Alabama to get more money. I am sure based off of the tenure in the NFL that things will work out great for all these south Florida kids. Guys like Tommy Street could have purchased that car sooner.

Advertisement
Why bother with school. Set up a minor league.

What? Nobody wants that?

Seriously, why not discuss alternatives to college athletcs? I believe a large percentage of college athletes don't give a runny **** about going to school anyway. BTW, I can't think of a workable plan. Anyone else?

What? Nobody wants that?

Seriously, why not discuss alternatives to college athletcs? I believe a large percentage of college athletes don't give a runny **** about going to school anyway. BTW, I can't think of a workable plan. Anyone else?

The CFL and players can take that route. The NFL doesn't need a minor league was the players are prepared well enough in college.

Advertisement

What? Nobody wants that?

The CFL and players can take that route. The NFL doesn't need a minor league was the players are prepared well enough in college.
No, I'm saying to the people who don't like the fact that college football is the defacto minor league. Let them come up with a minor league plan that doesn't involve the colleges.

you and I, and everyone else, know that there really isn't a viable alternative at this point.

What? Nobody wants that?

No, I'm saying to the people who don't like the fact that college football is the defacto minor league. Let them come up with a minor league plan that doesn't involve the colleges.

you and I, and everyone else, know that there really isn't a viable alternative at this point.

Really?

1)it can start with the big states. A best of the best competition between kids from Florida, Texas, Cali, Ohio, Georgia, Pennslyvnnia, Louisiana, Alabama.
2) Games are played in the summer.
3)kids must be enrolled in a 2 or 4 yr program and be a resident of the state.
4)kids are paid 40k plus 20k in grant to tuition.

that's just a start

Last edited:

What? Nobody wants that?

Really?

1)it can start with the big states. A best of the best competition between kids from Florida, Texas, Cali, Ohio, Georgia, Pennslyvnnia, Louisiana, Alabama.

that's just a start

Where is this money going to come from? People support two kinds of football: the NFL, and their favorite college team. No one is going to pay to watch the Baton Rouge Cyclones in July.

Advertisement

What? Nobody wants that?

Really?

that's just a start

Where is this money going to come from? People support two kinds of football: the NFL, and their favorite college team. No one is going to pay to watch the Baton Rouge Cyclones in July.

Its already starting to happen with espn broadcasting the best high school from each state vs each other.

College football wouldn't even be worth watching if players were on the free market. Miami would suck and it'd be 4 sec teams, Texas and a couple big 10 teams in the hunt for a championship every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
College football wouldn't even be worth watching if players were on the free market. Miami would suck and it'd be 4 sec teams, Texas and a couple big 10 teams in the hunt for a championship every year

Yeah, so lets keep an exploitative system in place so that you can have some Saturday entertainment.

Really?

that's just a start

Its already starting to happen with espn broadcasting the best high school from each state vs each other.

Right, people pay to watch their local high school teams. They are part of something. No one would care about some glorified minor league football team.

Yeah, so lets keep an exploitative system in place so that you can have some Saturday entertainment.

If it's so "exploitative", why do kids literally throw parties to announce their college choice?

Advertisement
Back