IF EVER THERE WAS A TIME

marshallrc13

Senior
For all those bubble screens, this week is it. Vag Tech blitzes a lot and goes man up like us and maybe even more. They never really change their style. I feel like if we execute, we should be able to bust a couple of them for long TDs.

Advertisement
nah mane, across the middle with slants or fades to Langham

I'm not saying only do bubble screens.. Slants, skinny posts, drag routes, seam routes, and bubble screens should be the focus this week. Tech never changes and all these will work. This is the week to do what we do and utilize the middle of the field. Basically model our offense after what the Patriots do. We would complete a lot of short passes. Break some long ones when executed properly. And control the ball with short passes that keep the chains and clock moving.

nah mane, across the middle with slants or fades to Langham

I'm not saying only do bubble screens.. Slants, skinny posts, drag routes, seam routes, and bubble screens should be the focus this week. Tech never changes and all these will work. This is the week to do what we do and utilize the middle of the field. Basically model our offense after what the Patriots do. We would complete a lot of short passes. Break some long ones when executed properly. And control the ball with short passes that keep the chains and clock moving.

Couldn't agree more with this. I posted earlier this week that we have to utilize the middle of the field more. It seems like the only success we have outside the numbers is on the bubble screens. A lot of our big chunk plays have come in the middle of the field. Our guys have got to catch the ball this week...cannot afford another 5 or 6 dropped passes this week.

Advertisement
They will be sitting on the bubble screens. Miami will have to run somebody deep at least once, probably early in the game, to keep them honest.

Hope we can get Dallas and Thomas each a halfback screen. Just to maybe break one

RPO bubble will be used a ton and I totally expect Richards to score on a slant

Advertisement
Vtech will mix a lot of coverages, they will play a lot of man and aggressive zone. Which will give us a chance to hit big plays down field. Make no mistake nothing will come easy.

Yeah, you have to like our chances to bust some long gains. Maybe with all the attention Richards/Berrios/Thomas get this week, now is the time for Harley his own brand of acceleration and speed to introduce himself.

Advertisement
I'd like to see some wheel routes to Homer and Herndon vs man coverage. Let the receivers clear a side of the field using verts/drags/posts and then send #24 and #23 up the sideline and see if VT's LB's can cover them. Actually, I would just like to see more passes to the rb's in general vs man coverage because I think it would be incredibly difficult for VT's lbs to contend with the speed and shiftiness of guys like Homer and Dallas out in space. Playaction, send the rbs through the middle of the line and let them use all of that real estate in the middle of the field to eat up those lbs in man coverage. We pass to the rbs out in the flats most of the time. I would like to see us use our rbs in the passing game a little bit more in the middle of the field.

Back to the wheel routes. Here's a play a saw Syracuse use with success in their game against Clemson. SU gained good yardage with this play at least twice during that game so I searched the game's highlights and I was able to find one of those plays (this time, the play was run vs zone coverage). Here, the outside receiver cuts towards the Line of Scrimmage as if he's going to run a screen. The man defending the TE reacts to the screen, leaving his man to run free up the sideline for the catch and a nice gain..

Screen/wheel route play is @ :55 seconds.

[video=youtube;0eGq4Kvz3i4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eGq4Kvz3i4[/video]

Last edited:
They'll stack the box and go man on the receivers.

Basically, it's on WRs to get open and Rosier to make accurate throws.

Advertisement
They'll stack the box and go man on the receivers.

Basically, it's on WRs to get open and Rosier to make accurate throws.

This.
Foster is probably not worried or scared of Rosier. He will challenge Rosier to beat him.

Yup, it's been every team's gameplan so far this season. The success of this offense hinges probably too much on Rosier but we don't have any other option right now. Load up numbers to stop the run and take your chances that Malik can't beat you over the top or into tight windows against man coverage.

This is on our O line as much as it is on Rosier. Last week was the only week he has been below avg. can't say the same for the line, especially the run blocking. They need to come ready to play 100% every play.

Advertisement
Back