If 2015 plays out as most think...

Advertisement
It will happen earlier than you think.

James Coley interim HC

Candidates.

Butch Davis

what a dumb thread. we are supposed to give you coaching candidates for 1 year from now?

Yeah why not?

I say Butch, Pruitt, Tuberville, Schaino, Narduzzi

Yeah, that's all I come to this board for.......info on a potential new coach.
Butch, Schiano, Stoops, Hudspeth, and my wildcard, Winston Moss

This makes me laugh every time I see it. Why would anyone think an NFL LB coach, who has had nothing to do with college football since 1986, be a legitimate HC candidate?

Advertisement
Greg Schiano attempted to cover up his players contracting and nearly dying of MRSA and when it became public he tried to blame them. He will never get a coaching job here and that's a good. It's awfully hard to recruit when you almost killed some of your guys. Parents don't want to send you their sons at that point.

Are you sure "Greg Schiano attempted to cover up his players contracting and nearly dying of MRSA and when it became public he tried to blame them.", or is that your perspective of the situation.

I'm fairly certain the Bucs organization told Greg what to say, and he followed the company script. The team was trying to keep the guys off the IR list, so they tried to make the MRSA situation "non-football related", for team purposes. But I highly doubt that was Schiano's call.

This is an interesting point you make, though ...

Schiano has the MRSA situation ... Butch has the UNC academic situation. Both have smoke. But somehow, Butch fans need proof of guilt for the UNC situation to be accepted, but rumor is sufficient for the MRSA situation to be accurate?

There are plenty of reasons to not like Schiano ... His tenure with the Bucs, how he handled Josh Freeman, how he didn't turn Rutgers into "the Boise State of the Big East", or how he turned us down the last time we came calling.

But going with MRSA is a stretch, IMO.

Any list with Schiano on it demonstrates signs of retardation.

Why? Because he was fired from the Bucs? Guy's a great Coach. 1st time nfl job for a college coach usually fails for one reason or another. I think he could be a good fit here. Watch wherever he ends up next he will succeed. Kinda got a raw deal in Tampa.

Explain how he is a great coach. Please explain.

Bill Lazor
Greg Schiano
Justin Fuente
Will Muschamp
Mark Stoops

No Butch but you have Muschamp? Go sit in a corner. You're in timeout.

LOL

... But there's already so much "Butch love" on this board. :based-duke2:

And if Mario Cristobal can become a quality HC after 2 seasons with Saban, certainly Muschamp will be able to figure out how to improve his future offenses just by being on staff with Malzhan ... :nba-wade_amused-amu

Advertisement

Why? Because he was fired from the Bucs? Guy's a great Coach. 1st time nfl job for a college coach usually fails for one reason or another. I think he could be a good fit here. Watch wherever he ends up next he will succeed. Kinda got a raw deal in Tampa.

He turned Temple around.

Greg Schiano attempted to cover up his players contracting and nearly dying of MRSA and when it became public he tried to blame them. He will never get a coaching job here and that's a good. It's awfully hard to recruit when you almost killed some of your guys. Parents don't want to send you their sons at that point.

He also isn't a good coach either.

- 5 out of 11 season at Rutgers were losing seasons
- Never won the Big East
- 28-48 in Conference Record
- 7 out of 11 seasons at Rutgers he had a losing record in conference
- 2 Losing seasons in the NFL (11-21)

I think people believe he is some good coach because he worked at UM for 18 months. I think out of his 13 seasons of being an HC he had MINOR success once and won 11 games. In that season he didn't win the conference or play in a BCS game.

What are we missing?

He also isn't a good coach either.

- 5 out of 11 season at Rutgers were losing seasons
- Never won the Big East
- 28-48 in Conference Record
- 7 out of 11 seasons at Rutgers he had a losing record in conference
- 2 Losing seasons in the NFL (11-21)

I think people believe he is some good coach because he worked at UM for 18 months. I think out of his 13 seasons of being an HC he had MINOR success once and won 11 games. In that season he didn't win the conference or play in a BCS game.

What are we missing?

Valid points.

These points are all similar to why I'm not a fan of Cristobal as a candidate.

I'll exit the Schiano bandwagon, now ...

He turned Temple around.

Oh, the he turned a program around.

I like how he had "success" after UM, VT and BC left the conference.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Before you suggest someone make sure you can defend the candidate. Suggesting Schiano, Cristobal and/or Kiffin makes you seem like a full blown ******.

Bill Lazor
Greg Schiano
Justin Fuente
Will Muschamp
Mark Stoops

Lazor:
Current NFL OC for the Dolphins, so location is easy and he has the NFL pedigree. He'd also do wonders with our QBs. And as an offensive guy, he'd just have to make the right defensive hires. Was on Chip Kelly's offensive staff in Philly, allowing him to implement that style of O pretty easily. Cornell graduate, so he's smart. From most reports, he seems to be a "control" guy, meaning he'd probably like to run his own show. He coached at UVA (I know, I know), but that gives him familiarity with the ACC.

Schiano:
I'm off that wagon

Fuente:
He'll have to win his bowl game against BYU, first. Then, win the conference again. If he pulls that off, I think he would be an awesome candidate. Coached at TCU, which is a similar school to UM. He'd also come relatively inexpensive, since he's coming from Memphis. That should help with the staff salaries, as we could give him more to hire quality guys with since he won't be a $3MM coach next year. *But it looks like he is about to lose his DC to Missouri, so his staff selections will be interesting. Also have to question if he can handlt the "big city lights" of SoFl.

Muschamp:
Hopefully, he learns enough from Malzhan to field a competent O at his next HC spot. He's also getting an up close and personal look at their facilities, and will put a plan in place for what he needs to compete BEFORE accepting the gig. We need the next coach to put the admin's feet to the fire on upgrades ... I think that will be a major component Muschamp considers at his next gig. He's got recruiting ties. Not a homerun hire, but I suspect he might want another chance to prove himself. *He's probably gonna hang out in Auburn, learning how to beat Malzhan's offense until Steve Spurrier leaves, and then will take that job.

Stoops:
He's got to make a bowl game next year. Franklin made Vanderbilt "respectable". For Stoops to remain viable, he'd have to do the same with UK. With his roster, winning more than 6 games means he did a really good job, IMO. He's familiar with the school, familiar with the conference, recruited in the area, and the UM job is a "step-up" over UK. He's also got some existing staff relationships that can help with the transition. *Question is ... Is he enough of an upgrade over Fuente to justify the salary he would likely require to move from Lexington?

I want a hard, grizzled, takes-no-crap, square-jawed leader who makes guys want to follow him to the ends of the earth. Schiano comes to mind. Oregeon would be interesting. Butch Davis would be everyone's first choice but he has that UNC crap holding him back.

Schiano doesn't take **** but he can be a ****. A lot of his guys didn't like him. We need a guy who doesn't take **** but is also liked by his players.

So we should hire a players coach but one thats a discplinarian? So Pete Carroll/Bill Belicheick combo? Sure theres plenty of those just waiting to be hired. Good luck finding that.

Ed Orgeron was a good example.

Advertisement
Rich Rod and Butch are my first 2 calls. Lazor is good, I'd be down with anybody from Chip Kelly's tree.

Rhett Lashlee is a name to watch, dude has been Malzahns protégé for the last 10 years. Young but he's gunna get a head coaching gig soon. Miami is above him at this point in his career tho.

Advertisement
Back