I will never understand why the Dolphins rarely go after former Canes whether in the draft or free agency

Advertisement
This is a question that was asked as far back as the early '80's. After UM won the '83 title Shula reached out for Jay Brophy, I think in 2nd round (probably high for in). Still, the pattern was, the Dolphins never seemed to like UM players. Trying to think of draftable players and the Dolphin needs, I don't know if things would have changed had a player been available. I think Jim Kelly might gave been gone when the Dolphins drafted Marino. I think Marino might have been a better prospect as good as Kelly was. So, they might have preferred Marino. Miami really had very few good OLs back then. I don't know who the Dolphins could have drafted (back in the '80's) from the Canes. More recent drafts, I don't know. I've stopped following the Dolphins.

I do remember a quote from Shula about Jerome Brown. I think Shula was equivocal on Brown.

And the hilarious thing with Dan is, he fell into the Dolphins lap. I'll believe till the day I die it was the Dolphins were really put the rumors out about the drugs.

He did. I know the Steelers front office probably would have taken Marino had he been available and had they needed a QB. A friend back then was friends with the younger Rooney. He said Rooney told him they would have wanted Marino had they drafted a QB. They had other needs.

I honestly believe that for a long time the Dolphins considered themselves above Miami players. I know that sounds nuts, but for the longest time Miami was considered the classiest team in the NFL and seemingly more concerned with their reputation than actually winning at times.

Crazy sounding I know, but just my .02.

With the Dolphins situation at both DT and WR, it'll be interesting to see if either DT's are available or Berrios if they take one.

Advertisement
As hard as it is to win a Super Bowl in the NFL it's probably exponentially harder to go 17 seasons with a transcendent talent at QB and only make it to 1 title game.

I was a kid that used to only visit South Florida intermittently during his reign of terror. The hatred for the dude was palpable as soon as you talked Dolphins with anyone though. Jesu Christo, even in Pittsburgh people would lament the fact that the guy was killing the prime years of Danny Marino's career.
All those years with Marino and NO defense. Had to outscore everybody to have a chance to win.

Advertisement
Rashawn Scott, Malcolm Lewis and Tracy Howard are all currently on the Phins roster.

The Miami Dolphins are a joke and don’t deserve any canes. We’re talking about a team that held a Tebow/Gator day on the hurricane’s home field.

**** them and everyone who supports them.

I like the Hurricanes and Dolphins equally. That being said, the Dolphins roster is very mediocre we lack likeable personalities. This would be an ideal year to pick up Walton in the 5th or 6th to back up Kenyon Drake. Herndon would also make a great fit in the 4th round. No need for Chad Thomas being that the Phins have a lot of money invested on the d-line even with cutting Suh. Although it's important to have a great depth at DT, Davon Godchaux was a GREAT FIND and will be a beast next year (those LSU DT's are something else) and Vincent Taylor was great in rotation and has starter potential so no need for McIntosh and Norton.
Lamar Miller and Vernon worked out... Canes ball out in the NFL -- draft them!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back