I Was Wrong

I am laser focused on defensive end and cornerback. We need four ends and four corners, either through portal or impact high school kids. A stud tackle or two, and a stud linebacker to go with Wes wouldnt hurt either.

The endgame for me is that i don't want to hear any more excuses for next year. 10-2 or bust. We didn't give this guy 80 million and almost carte blanche in terms of dollars for support staff and coaches for a 5 year turnaround plan, we gave him that top 5 salary for instant impact and instant results. Many of us have been through this many times over the years after each coaching change, the threads are like clockwork. I'm tired. No more talk, just results.

5 years is definitely too long to wait for any HC to post results. But as long as the recruiting starts to pick up and the 2023 class is lights out, even an 8 or 9 win regular season in 2022 won't faze me. But I do expect him to win at least 10 games in 2023 and beyond.

And recognize the past failures of prior head coaches shouldn't ramp up the expectation for Mario. The one has nothing to do with the other.

Advertisement
My big concern going into this scenario was that if Manny were released, our recruiting class would fall apart, along with poaching of the talented core of current players. On the former, we desperately needed the sheer bodies at linebacker and cornerback, and I envisioned a scenario like in 2010 and again in 2018 when our commitments peeled off in rapid fashion.

What I underestimated - clearly - was Mario’s ability to make an immediate impact and the credibility he brought. It’s early, but it appears possible that we may end with a significantly better class than if nothing had changed. Amazing to see.
Honestly I wouldn’t want a player that would commit to manny and not to Mario
Sign of low football iq

My big concern going into this scenario was that if Manny were released, our recruiting class would fall apart, along with poaching of the talented core of current players. On the former, we desperately needed the sheer bodies at linebacker and cornerback, and I envisioned a scenario like in 2010 and again in 2018 when our commitments peeled off in rapid fashion.

What I underestimated - clearly - was Mario’s ability to make an immediate impact and the credibility he brought. It’s early, but it appears possible that we may end with a significantly better class than if nothing had changed. Amazing to see.
You weren’t wrong. If manny was fired In November like majority of this board wanted, it wouldve left a vacancy and the class (8 amigos) would’ve been left for sure. The staffs willingness to still recruit along with Miami dragging the process out imo kept thst from happening

The uncertainty part didn’t become a issue. Manny fired Mario hired shortly afterwards definitely lessened the blow on recruiting

Advertisement
Advertisement
You guys thought there was great respect in the community for ole lispy?

Nobody was commited to Miami for the love of manny Diaz
No but I thought maybe the requesite average level of respect for the UM head coach wasn't a crazy notion.

Even Lane wouldn’t have had this impact, including the influx of cash which is why I leaned Mario.

Here’s the thing; keeping Manny did absolutely nothing for us. We had 8 recruits, ladies & gents. 8. One guy decommitted, a 3 star LB from TX. He was replaced by a Top247 4 star LB, but literally Mario is coming in w/ a **** near blank slate. Landon might decommit, and that’s OK. But Manny & the staff did a really **** poor job recruiting this cycle.

At the end of the day, there are no prizes for getting kids to visit and only the signatures matter. I agree with that.

That said, @Canes2082 also makes a very valid point. OU loses Mario and its recruiting class has been taking body blows all week. We fire Manny and replace him w/ Mario and kids are coming out of the woodwork to get on campus (minus one 3* LB). Until he actually lands them, we should proceed with guarded optimism, sure. But these events strongly suggests Mario, even without a complete staff, is going to land some studs in this class.
Exactly kids that would never have considered us now will. Even if 1/3 of those commit it’s still better than Manny.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Mad respect.

Here’s the thing; keeping Manny did absolutely nothing for us. We had 8 recruits, ladies & gents. 8. One guy decommitted, a 3 star LB from TX. He was replaced by a Top247 4 star LB, but literally Mario is coming in w/ a **** near blank slate. Landon might decommit, and that’s OK. But Manny & the staff did a really **** poor job recruiting this cycle.
But but Manny said they were building something special. LMAO In reality that clown was on his way to steadily eroding any remaining foundation that this program had.

Had that putz been retained the damage to this roster and the program would have been severe.

But but Manny said they were building something special. LMAO In reality that clown was on his way to steadily eroding any remaining foundation that this program had.

Had that putz been retained the damage to this roster and the program would have been severe.

Exactly! Dude, the excuses used for our class being so small. Lol.
-It’s July, relax, wait til the season.
-It’s August, Manny & staff r making the Miami offer means something again
-It’s September, they have a couple more kids they are evaluating
-It’s October, relax, Early Signing period is not tomorrow, plenty of big fish Manny is working behind the scenes on
-It’s November, The fans are hurting recruiting

Lol.

Advertisement
Mentioned it when people were using excuse to keep manny for recruiting.. We already had the crappy class this season, keeping him would only make next years class even worse.. Take your lumps with this class and if we made a strong hire it wouldnt be hard to take us from 60 ranked to something respectable..

Recruiting was DEAD, even this board which used to draw tons of attention and traffic became tumbleweeds.. NOTHING was happening and the class was in the dumpster

Exactly! Dude, the excuses used for our class being so small. Lol.
-It’s July, relax, wait til the season.
-It’s August, Manny & staff r making the Miami offer means something again
-It’s September, they have a couple more kids they are evaluating
-It’s October, relax, Early Signing period is not tomorrow, plenty of big fish Manny is working behind the scenes on
-It’s November, The fans are hurting recruiting

Lol.
Yep. All politics. Learned from his punk *** pappy.

You thought people were gonna follow Manny Diaz out the door? You were worried about the 784th ranked recruiting class falling apart?

It’s gonna be hard to get a commit unless we have an oc and a dc named before nsd.

Advertisement
Back