I Was Wrong

GojiraCane

All ACC
My big concern going into this scenario was that if Manny were released, our recruiting class would fall apart, along with poaching of the talented core of current players. On the former, we desperately needed the sheer bodies at linebacker and cornerback, and I envisioned a scenario like in 2010 and again in 2018 when our commitments peeled off in rapid fashion.

What I underestimated - clearly - was Mario’s ability to make an immediate impact and the credibility he brought. It’s early, but it appears possible that we may end with a significantly better class than if nothing had changed. Amazing to see.

Advertisement
My big concern going into this scenario was that if Manny were released, our recruiting class would fall apart, along with poaching of the talented core of current players. On the former, we desperately needed the sheer bodies at linebacker and cornerback, and I envisioned a scenario like in 2010 and again in 2018 when our commitments peeled off in rapid fashion.

What I underestimated - clearly - was Mario’s ability to make an immediate impact and the credibility he brought. It’s early, but it appears possible that we may end with a significantly better class than if nothing had changed. Amazing to see.
The skepticism is understood and the apology is accepted. Just don't let it happen again!

Bro, let's wait until he actually closes on someone. The only thing that has happened since Monday is that we lost Medlock.

We need tons of defensive line and cornerback dominos to fall in Kelly, Stewart, Everette, Moss, Graves, Rogers, Moten, Lucas, Florence or similar quality DL and CB, either via recruits or portal, before we crown him.

Advertisement
Bro, let's wait until he actually closes on someone. The only thing that has happened since Monday is that we lost Medlock.

We need tons of defensive line and cornerback dominos to fall in Kelly, Stewart, Everette, Moss, Graves, Rogers, Moten, Lucas, Florence or similar quality DL and CB, either via recruits or portal, before we crown him.

Nobody is crowning him… he’s simply stating the impact of Mario vs Manny…

We lost Medlock since Manny was fired

Look at Oregon recruiting class since Mario left. Tells me everything I need to know.

And yea I agree we still need to close as strong as we can in the next couple weeks/month

Nobody is crowning him… he’s simply stating the impact of Mario vs Manny…

We lost Medlock since Manny was fired

Not to mention Clemson has lost 3 blue chip recruits since Venables left.
Look at Oregon recruiting class since Mario left. Tells me everything I need to know

At the end of the day, there are no prizes for getting kids to visit and only the signatures matter. I agree with that.

That said, @Canes2082 also makes a very valid point. OU loses Mario and its recruiting class has been taking body blows all week. We fire Manny and replace him w/ Mario and kids are coming out of the woodwork to get on campus (minus one 3* LB). Until he actually lands them, we should proceed with guarded optimism, sure. But these events strongly suggests Mario, even without a complete staff, is going to land some studs in this class.

Advertisement

Yes. But it was also helpful to have a minimal amount of time in between Manny's dismissal and Mario's hire.

If we had left a few months in between there, our class would have been poached and our recruiting momentum would have been zero-point-zero.

Well-played, Miami, well-played. Fvck the sportswriters and their feelings.

You also underestimated how little Manny was respected and taken seriously. I did too, tbh.

Advertisement

That's why we told u he's a ace recruiter elite levels no one would leave unless they were dropped. Medlock was Flagg JR he left which is good. I don't trust any natural linebacker Diaz recruited...that goes for Troutman as well who looked slow to me to. Beside all that Mario is a baller at recruiting he will just get elites that's what he targets.

You also underestimated how little Manny was respected and taken seriously. I did too, tbh.
Manny wasn't the ace recruiter he replied on staff to close. He never did anything when it came to recruiting it's why I always was mad. Guys like Banda DVD were probably his best recruiters along with Hickson. Unless I'm missing someone everyone else was meh.

Manny accepted the fact that recruits didn't want to come to UM under him "we will go with a light class for 2022 and work the portal". Manny's gone .. Mario is here ... and NOW the question is "how many can we take"?

Advertisement

Aquabats Super Show Agree GIF by The Aquabats!

At the end of the day, there are no prizes for getting kids to visit and only the signatures matter. I agree with that.

That said, @Canes2082 also makes a very valid point. OU loses Mario and its recruiting class has been taking body blows all week. We fire Manny and replace him w/ Mario and kids are coming out of the woodwork to get on campus (minus one 3* LB). Until he actually lands them, we should proceed with guarded optimism, sure. But these events strongly suggests Mario, even without a complete staff, is going to land some studs in this class.

I am laser focused on defensive end and cornerback. We need four ends and four corners, either through portal or impact high school kids. A stud tackle or two, and a stud linebacker to go with Wes wouldnt hurt either.

The endgame for me is that i don't want to hear any more excuses for next year. 10-2 or bust. We didn't give this guy 80 million and almost carte blanche in terms of dollars for support staff and coaches for a 5 year turnaround plan, we gave him that top 5 salary for instant impact and instant results. Many of us have been through this many times over the years after each coaching change, the threads are like clockwork. I'm tired. No more talk, just results.

I think the fact that there wasn't a gap where Miami had no head coach definitely kept the guys we have from bolting. (besides Medlock)

Advertisement
Back