I need help from this board to settle a dispute.

Everyone is wrong. He has the frame that Butch Barry loves and will be our starting Left Tackle next year!!!

For the slow amongst us, this^^^^is sarcasm.....

I hit you up with the "sad" reaction. Not because the beginning of this post didn't make me laugh, but because I know there were dozens of poor ******** who would have posted about how Height isn't playing OL here had you not included the caveat at the end.

Agreed with everyone saying DE/Viper.

Advertisement
I recently had a disagreement with Alan Rubenstein from Canes Warning regarding Romello Height and the position we are recruiting him for at UM. Mr. Rubenstein is very adamant that Height will be a LB here at UM. I told him that Height is an easy and quite natural projection to DE. I reasoned that a player who is currently 6'5" 216 lbs and is a natural pass rusher who has not even started his senior year of high school could very easily be 6'6" 240 by the time he enrolls at UM.

To me this is a no brainer yet Mr. Rubenstein continued to insist that his contacts at Inside the U and at the Sun Sentinel who both speak to the coaching staff say Height is coming to UM to be a LB. I told him that with all due respect to him, the Sun Sentinel and Inside the U, they are wrong.

Tell me what you think and what side of this debate you are on! I need some backup boys!

Height has already stated multiple times that he was recruited for the viper position which is a rush end.

Advertisement
Viper is weak side rush end who also drops into coverage. We used it a lot against GT. Manny’s had the position for a while, but my understanding is Baker utilizes the position’s versatility more.

Essentially acts as a 3-4 OLB at times. Joe Jackson did it for us be he didn’t really have the fluidity or quickness to do it a lot, the hope here is that Height does.
Excellent analysis.

Someone told me the viper position was smoke by Baker to confuse opponents' film studiea. He is really creating a cottonmouth position that will be a DT that can shift into zone coverage if need be, and pull back to a LB slot from time to time.

I see Height playing predominantly out of a 2-pt stance. Right now he's very unrefined as a pass rusher but he moves well in space. It's semantics but I'd consider him more of a LB than DE. Nothing wrong with projecting him to put on weight and develop as a rusher though.
I agree 100% about semantics playing a huge role in the confusion.

Advertisement
Someone told me the viper position was smoke by Baker to confuse opponents' film studiea. He is really creating a cottonmouth position that will be a DT that can shift into zone coverage if need be, and pull back to a LB slot from time to time.
Wrong! You are clearly confusing the cottonmouth position with the Python position being played by Silvera. This should not be confused with the Anaconda position that Jordan Miller will be tasked with. Got it?

We need to bring back Ryan Fines for this position.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back