I need help from this board to settle a dispute.

FrancisSawyer

All American
Premium
I recently had a disagreement with Alan Rubenstein from Canes Warning regarding Romello Height and the position we are recruiting him for at UM. Mr. Rubenstein is very adamant that Height will be a LB here at UM. I told him that Height is an easy and quite natural projection to DE. I reasoned that a player who is currently 6'5" 216 lbs and is a natural pass rusher who has not even started his senior year of high school could very easily be 6'6" 240 by the time he enrolls at UM.

To me this is a no brainer yet Mr. Rubenstein continued to insist that his contacts at Inside the U and at the Sun Sentinel who both speak to the coaching staff say Height is coming to UM to be a LB. I told him that with all due respect to him, the Sun Sentinel and Inside the U, they are wrong.

Tell me what you think and what side of this debate you are on! I need some backup boys!

Advertisement
I recently had a disagreement with Alan Rubenstein from Canes Warning regarding Romello Height and the position we are recruiting him for at UM. Mr. Rubenstein is very adamant that Height will be a LB here at UM. I told him that Height is an easy and quite natural projection to DE. I reasoned that a player who is currently 6'5" 216 lbs and is a natural pass rusher who has not even started his senior year of high school could very easily be 6'6" 240 by the time he enrolls at UM.

To me this is a no brainer yet Mr. Rubenstein continued to insist that his contacts at Inside the U and at the Sun Sentinel who both speak to the coaching staff say Height is coming to UM to be a LB. I told him that with all due respect to him, the Sun Sentinel and Inside the U, they are wrong.

Tell me what you think and what side of this debate you are on! I need some backup boys!
Heard that we were recruiting him for a viper role that baker may be instituting. Could be wrong here though. He’ll blitz but also drop into coverage

Heard that we were recruiting him for a viper role that baker may be instituting. Could be wrong here though. He’ll blitz but also drop into coverage
I heard the same but I believe the "Viper" role is a wrinkle in Baker's defense that is executed by a DE. To put it another way, in Baker's defense, the DEs are asked to do different things like drop into coverage or line up in a 2 point stance but that doesn't change the fact that they are still Defensive Ends.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
You both aren’t wrong. I think he’ll get a shot at viper/LB next year but long term, rush DE is his position has he projects as a 6-5, 240 pound kid.

Advertisement
Viper is weak side rush end who also drops into coverage. We used it a lot against GT. Manny’s had the position for a while, but my understanding is Baker utilizes the position’s versatility more.

Essentially acts as a 3-4 OLB at times. Joe Jackson did it for us be he didn’t really have the fluidity or quickness to do it a lot, the hope here is that Height does.

I see Height playing predominantly out of a 2-pt stance. Right now he's very unrefined as a pass rusher but he moves well in space. It's semantics but I'd consider him more of a LB than DE. Nothing wrong with projecting him to put on weight and develop as a rusher though.

I heard the same but I believe the "Viper" role is a wrinkle in Baker's defense that is executed by a DE. To put it another way, in Baker's defense, the DEs are asked to do different things like drop into coverage or line up in a 2 point stance but that doesn't change the fact that they are still Defensive Ends.
Just had a scary flashback of Tyriq McCord dropping back into coverage.

Advertisement
Back