I like my crow roasted with a side of apricot stuffing.

SmokeyRone

All-ACC
Purgatory
I've literally eaten crow before (lived 10 years in Arkansas, we shoot and eat anything that flys, including bats), but today I shall eat it figuratively.

Far be it from Smokey to not own up.

Was discussing Canes baseball with my Dad (60-64 fullback for the U, roomed with Rick Barry), and he said "You were right. Once we fired Morris in March (like I called for, repeatedly) we are like 30-3!"

He was being sarcastic.

I did call for him to get the stagehook. I admit it.

And at UCF, on April 9th, during the tailgate, when Morris got off the bus, walked over to me, thanked us for coming, then said he wished he had a cup of what I was drinking, well, I found it hard to criticize him.

In fairness, players improved, and his 3rd base coaching has improved like 1,000% since the ides of March. As has his managerial decisions, especially when it comes to manufacturing 1 run, and relief pitching.

So, I say, Morris has done a **** of a job this season. Losing Thompson (an MVP or close to it) then once Ruiz got very good, losing him for a spell, plus his freshman are playing all out great ball, he really seemed to have "Gotten back in the game" so to speak. Seems like he was losing interest and/or tired for a couple years, but I could tell during that UCF game, he was upbeat and feeling good.

So, as I said, roasted crow, perhaps with a pinch of rosemary, and a cheap muscydine wine with a ***** off cap ('tis all I deserve!)

Go Canes!

PS Can we pull a Gatas and get Carey a 5th year? (The Gatas always have a team of 5th year seniors that are drafted every year, and for some reason stay at UF, we need to do whtever it is they are doing to retain Carey)

Advertisement
I'm serious, when he jumped off that bus at UCF, he was young and spry. Like he was excited to get there, and excited to play. He was definately happy to see a handful of Canes fans going crazy as they welcomed the bus. You could see it.

Haven't picked up that vibe from him since like 2008.

I think his health is better, IMO.

Seemed like night and day from the cranky old guy we have seen in the last few years.

Advertisement
Nice post. He is feeding off these freshmen like everyone else. But, if he gets the blame like he did from a lot of us, he gets the credit also. He and Gino deserve many kudos for getting this group to campus. And several of the upperclassmen have been clutch this year. The whole team is fun to watch again.

If Smokey's being positive, pack up the bus boys. We're goin to Omaha. Seriously though, good stuff Smokey!

Advertisement
Back