I know we still mucho sucko. I know this BUT tell me at least one thing that you feel shows us we might be heading in the right direction.

Advertisement
Before I do my year end review, which will touch on some of these points, I would just like to highlight something that was said in defense to keep Manny Diaz around after going 7-5 in year 2: “The team didn’t quit on him, & shows he hasn’t lost the locker room.”

The 2021 Miami Hurricanes avg. margin of defeat was 12 pts/game, heavily skewed by the blow out lost to Bama. 3 of 5 of those losses came by 3 points or less. Fast fwd to 2023, & our avg. margin of defeat was 8 points, with 5 of those 6 losses coming by 7 points or more.

The 2021 team faced:
A Bama team that finished #2
A MSU team that finished #9
A NCSU team that finished #19
A Pitt team that finished #13 & was The ACC Champions

The 2023 team have faced:
A FSU team that will most likely finish Top 10
A Clemson team that will most likely finish top 20
A NCST team that will most likely drop out the top 25
A UL team team that will most likely finish top 25

I’m just confused by this continuous narrative. Did we technically improve? Yes, but the most pure definition of improvement as Pate highlighted; but, & I’m not trying to be offensive, what’s the difference between 2021 & 2023?
I see your point. 2021 was Manny’s third year as HC And I don’t think the perception was a necessary rebuild. What was not openly discussed was the huge disconnect between the necessary components of the university.

During 2021, it was evident we just did not look like a competitive upper tier FBS team. Miami was called out by the national media as no longer caring about football and that there was a huge disconnect between the HC, the AD, and the President. Not only was a commitment to change necessary but a major overhaul on every level was necessary. We are still in that overhaul After MC Year 2. With your points, I think after 3 we will a more accurate and comparable picture of the Manny Era vs Cristobal Era.

I see your point. 2021 was Manny’s third year as HC And I don’t think the perception was a necessary rebuild. What was not openly discussed was the huge disconnect between the necessary components of the university.

During 2021, it was evident we just did not look like a competitive upper tier FBS team. Miami was called out by the national media as no longer caring about football and that there was a huge disconnect between the HC, the AD, and the President. Not only was a commitment to change necessary but a major overhaul on every level was necessary. We are still in that overhaul After MC Year 2. With your points, I think after 3 we will a more accurate and comparable picture of the Manny Era vs Cristobal Era.
Several high profile Canes commentators warned us prior to the Cristobal hire.

Advertisement
Before I do my year end review, which will touch on some of these points, I would just like to highlight something that was said in defense to keep Manny Diaz around after going 7-5 in year 2: “The team didn’t quit on him, & shows he hasn’t lost the locker room.”

The 2021 Miami Hurricanes avg. margin of defeat was 12 pts/game, heavily skewed by the blow out lost to Bama. 3 of 5 of those losses came by 3 points or less. Fast fwd to 2023, & our avg. margin of defeat was 8 points, with 5 of those 6 losses coming by 7 points or more.

The 2021 team faced:
A Bama team that finished #2
A MSU team that finished #9
A NCSU team that finished #19
A Pitt team that finished #13 & was The ACC Champions

The 2023 team have faced:
A FSU team that will most likely finish Top 10
A Clemson team that will most likely finish top 20
A NCST team that will most likely drop out the top 25
A UL team team that will most likely finish top 25

I’m just confused by this continuous narrative. Did we technically improve? Yes, but the most pure definition of improvement as Pate highlighted; but, & I’m not trying to be offensive, what’s the difference between 2021 & 2023?
What we do know about Manny is that he was a 7-8 win coach after 3 years here with most of his type players as he was here the 3 years prior.
Throwaway year 1. Year 2 we were mauled by Clemson and embarrassed (understatement) by UNC prior to losing the bowl game.
We did have most of our starters vs OSU although King did get hurt.

What we do know about Mario here is that he is a sub-500 coach after 2 years with a mix of his players and Manny’s.
Throwaway year 1. UNC was one game where i felt we didn’t have a chance in the 4th qtr. I certainly can’t leave out the head scratcher on field decisions.
There’s no excuse for losing to a one dimensional RU.

That’s where I stop with the comparison because Manny’s year 3 was his 6th year with the program vs year 2 for Mario.
Yes i can count the Manny ‘16-‘18 and actually use that against him for the ‘21 season. He was the DC those years. You can point to the D being a weakness in ‘21 and the fact that the team gave up at least 30 points in 7 straight p5 games with his guys.

Now for my usual declaimer:
I am not happy with Mario or the state of the Miami football program at this time.

Last edited:
The one thing I'll say is outside of 1 game we have been in every game and competitive. The team doesn't give up. There were probably 3-4 games this year that we would have given up in the past. Not big on moral victories but that does show some progress.

Mario's role model is edging closer to moving to the future, maybe Mario will follow...Doubt it, but you wanted a crumb of hope.

Here is my little list to gauge minimal progress. Again, current stage is Mucho Sucko.

1) We may not have been consistent but we were competitive in every game. I didn't see the team quit this year like last year. Duke, MTSU, Pitt, Clemson, FSU last year.....OOOOFFFFF.!! This year we had some losses and we had the GT abortion but I felt we we had a chance to win every game and we beat Clemson which had been a minute. I hope we can get over the hump next year and the coaches stop tripping over their own feet.

2) I saw lots of freshman playing by the end of the year. I hope these guys can stay healthy and contribute the next two years. Fletcher, Bain, Brown, Mauigoa, Emory, Williams TE were all a nice surprise. The guys we redshirted are some kind of beasts. Transfer portal rentals were more hits that misses. Lee, Cohen, Kiko, Daniels, Allen were all great additions to Miami 23.

3) 7-6 is a basura record BUT it's two more wins than last year's landfill. Basura is atill basura, but the pile is smaller. I am hopeful that despite the opportunity to be great next year, I am going to set the bar low at 9 wins. Two more wins. every year is my bar. 9 wins is a realistic goal for this team and staff.

4) In the world of NIL, we are not paupers.Miami seems to be playing the NIL game correctly. Lots of disgruntled players at other schools that could be on our radar if they help us to be better. NIL matters. If schools drop the ball, it will only help Miami! Keep supporting the program.

5) Great recruiting class coming in! We need to bring in as much talent as possible to overcome coaching ineptness. Hopefully we get a serviceable QB in the transfer portal, Emory heals well, Jacurri keeps improving and Judd Anderson redshirts and can be developed into something decent.

I know we are currently not good by any means. Lots of work to be done. Hopefully we can keep building and improving but I will remain hopeful that in year 3 we can get at least nine wins.

Everyone have a great offseason. Stay safe and healthy, support the basketball team, and see you all at the Spring game and Gainesville next year!

Go Canes!!

The progress is there. People are just fed up with 20 years of incompetence and irrelevance that any basura loss—it's not taken in the context of 2023—there is muscle memory from every loss dating back to that first ACC loss in 2004 at Chapel Hill where Connor Barth drilled the game winner for a 3-4 North Carolina team to upset #3 Miami.

It's the 2005 muffled field goal in Trailerhassee to start the season, the ugly home loss to Georgia Tech that coast Miami a Coastal title and a Peach Bowl loss to LSU. It's 7-6 in 2006 and Larry Coker fielding the worst Canes season since 1997. It's 20 miserable losses under Randy Shannon, it's 25 losses under Al Golden, it's a few four game losing streaks under Mark Richt (and seeing 10-0 become 10-3) and it's 15 losses under Manny Diaz, including that face-plant against Butch and an FIU squad that lost 18 of their next 19 games after upsetting the Canes.

The clock started ticking in December 2021 and Miami is two years into a rebuild. We'll see where things go the next couple of years....

Advertisement
The progress is there. People are just fed up with 20 years of incompetence and irrelevance that any basura loss—it's not taken in the context of 2023—there is muscle memory from every loss dating back to that first ACC loss in 2004 at Chapel Hill where Connor Barth drilled the game winner for a 3-4 North Carolina team to upset #3 Miami.

It's the 2005 muffled field goal in Trailerhassee to start the season, the ugly home loss to Georgia Tech that coast Miami a Coastal title and a Peach Bowl loss to LSU. It's 7-6 in 2006 and Larry Coker fielding the worst Canes season since 1997. It's 20 miserable losses under Randy Shannon, it's 25 losses under Al Golden, it's a few four game losing streaks under Mark Richt (and seeing 10-0 become 10-3) and it's 15 losses under Manny Diaz, including that face-plant against Butch and an FIU squad that lost 18 of their next 19 games after upsetting the Canes.

The clock started ticking in December 2021 and Miami is two years into a rebuild. We'll see where things go the next couple of years....
I felt this post! I felt all of it!

What we do know about Manny is that he was a 7-8 win coach after 3 years here with most of his type players as he was here the 3 years prior.
Throwaway year 1. Year 2 we were mauled by Clemson and embarrassed (understatement) by UNC prior to losing the bowl game.
We did have most of our starters vs OSU although King did get hurt.

What we do know about Mario here is that he is a sub-500 coach after 2 years with a mix of his players and Manny’s.
Throwaway year 1. UNC was one game where i felt we didn’t have a chance in the 4th qtr. I certainly can’t leave out the head scratcher on field decisions.
There’s no excuse for losing to a one dimensional RU.

That’s where I stop with the comparison because Manny’s year 3 was his 6th year with the program vs year 2 for Mario.
Yes i can count the Manny ‘16-‘18 and actually use that against him for the ‘21 season. He was the DC those years. You can point to the D being a weakness in ‘21 and the fact that the team gave up at least 30 points in 7 straight p5 games with his guys.

Not for my usual declaimer:
I am not happy with Mario or the state of the Miami football program.

Yeah, but remember one was a guy who had no experience as a HC, as well.

Every L we took was by 1 score. Which was a lot of posters reasoning why FSU would be great this year.

I'm all for positivity. We could use it. I think we're trending in the right direction.

But

As Jay Z once said:
Moral Victories is for minor league coaches..

UNC was by 10.
NC State was by 14.

Otherwise all 1-score losses.

Advertisement
As mentioned they never quit. A strong QB and some breaks and they have three more wins.
I’m disappointed but not surprised. Once we started having QB issues I knew we were in for a long season.

Here is my little list to gauge minimal progress. Again, current stage is Mucho Sucko.

1) We may not have been consistent but we were competitive in every game. I didn't see the team quit this year like last year. Duke, MTSU, Pitt, Clemson, FSU last year.....OOOOFFFFF.!! This year we had some losses and we had the GT abortion but I felt we we had a chance to win every game and we beat Clemson which had been a minute. I hope we can get over the hump next year and the coaches stop tripping over their own feet.

2) I saw lots of freshman playing by the end of the year. I hope these guys can stay healthy and contribute the next two years. Fletcher, Bain, Brown, Mauigoa, Emory, Williams TE were all a nice surprise. The guys we redshirted are some kind of beasts. Transfer portal rentals were more hits that misses. Lee, Cohen, Kiko, Daniels, Allen were all great additions to Miami 23.

3) 7-6 is a basura record BUT it's two more wins than last year's landfill. Basura is atill basura, but the pile is smaller. I am hopeful that despite the opportunity to be great next year, I am going to set the bar low at 9 wins. Two more wins. every year is my bar. 9 wins is a realistic goal for this team and staff.

4) In the world of NIL, we are not paupers.Miami seems to be playing the NIL game correctly. Lots of disgruntled players at other schools that could be on our radar if they help us to be better. NIL matters. If schools drop the ball, it will only help Miami! Keep supporting the program.

5) Great recruiting class coming in! We need to bring in as much talent as possible to overcome coaching ineptness. Hopefully we get a serviceable QB in the transfer portal, Emory heals well, Jacurri keeps improving and Judd Anderson redshirts and can be developed into something decent.

I know we are currently not good by any means. Lots of work to be done. Hopefully we can keep building and improving but I will remain hopeful that in year 3 we can get at least nine wins.

Everyone have a great offseason. Stay safe and healthy, support the basketball team, and see you all at the Spring game and Gainesville next year!

Go Canes!!
The players have the dawg aspect mentally but just not physically! We need more big dawgs with the combination!

Advertisement
Jimmy’s and Joe’s > X’s and O’s.

There’s my source of optimism.

Might be optimism that never comes to fruition, but there it is.

I’m the conductor of the Mario train but I have to call it as I see it and what I’ve seen the past 2 seasons is worse than I expected. And I expected it to be bad. So, yeah.

Good post!

One thing? Ok.. Got it. The offense finished the regular season ranked #26 in total offense despite the long stretches of garbage in the middle of the year. That was a huge leap from last year. Defense finished the reg season #26 in total defense and #9 vs the run. Those are positives to go with the #3 recruiting class.
Believe Episode 1 GIF by The X-Files
..... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :p:p

Advertisement
Back