I give it to Coach L

Advertisement
I guess they censored it. Not anything from Coach L found in these links.

Would have liked to hear Coach's fingerpainting, err, pointing.

Advertisement
try this:

highlights of the 18 minutes:
hes tired of saying same thing.. defense and rebounding are the culprits
we have to get better, meet expectations, now have younger guys off the bench is different than last year (AW, HB)
we self destructed both (loss) games
we havent learned to fight back when down
we dribble too much (turn it over too much) used to be 7th, now we r 225th
new drill added " tobe " turnover ball elimination drill is run and condition (for t.o.)
7-2 lasalle has 2 (especially) tuff players = a handful to guard - could be uh oh
game plan must be understood and executed. now its NOT being done
K. George is a young 20 undeveloped... good things but lacks on defense (no lateral quickness)
C. Watson - not a H. Beverly yet... needs to figure it out - frustrated
Casey & Nwoko - both must greatly improve defense... loses the man, gets fouls...

my own take... not a word about the starters and perceived hero-ball. might be tactful, or he's ok with them all?

Last edited:
Advertisement
try this:

highlights of the 18 minutes:
hes tired of saying same thing.. defense and rebounding are the culprits
we have to get better, meet expectations, now have younger guys off the bench is different than last year (AW, HB)
we self destructed both (loss) games
we havent learned to fight back when down
we dribble too much (turn it over too much) used to be 7th, now we r 225th
new drill added " tobe " turnover ball elimination drill is run and condition (for t.o.)
7-2 lasalle has 2 (especially) tuff players = a handful to guard - could be uh oh
game plan must be understood and executed. now its NOT being done
K. George is a young 20 undeveloped... good things but lacks on defense (no lateral quickness)
C. Watson - not a H. Beverly yet... needs to figure it out - frustrated
Casey & Nwoko - both must greatly improve defense... loses the man, gets fouls...

my own take... not a word about the starters and perceived hero-ball. might be tactful, or he's ok with them all?

Suspect he’s trying to both motivate the bench guys and speak honestly about why they’re not getting more burn.

Can’t say why he didn’t break down the starters like he did the bench… but he’s clearly not happy with how the team is playing and starters are doing most of the playing so I’m quite certain he’s not ok with them. I think he’s just taking a different approach with the bench vs the starters.

How about not poaching any portal bigs last off season when it was obvious that lack of size will be a problem for this team??
It is on Coach L for not capitalizing on the momentum of a Final Four run...

- So ... if it's now all about having to outscore your opponent every time out, George needs more PT, defensive deficiencies and all.. On a good night, he can give you double figures, maybe!

- Did he speak at all to Pack's lack of scoring (other than K State game)?

- The "bench" is as bad as anyone's worst fears. Can't score, can't rebound, can't defend.

- We are def one of the least physical teams I've seen. Never thought I'd say that about a team with Omier on it. He's still in a class by himself among this squad but ... even he has people driving by him and scoring over him like I rarely saw last season.

- L is right about LaSalle. We have an effort like Kentucky or Colorado, we easily could lose badly.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If George isn’t inserted into starting 5 to see what it brings before acc play kicks back up I will be concerned.
Joseph plays good d but I'd like him to contribute more on offense. With George starting, he could drop 10 points before you get back from shaking one boss. I'd try it out with the non conference games left.

Joseph plays good d but I'd like him to contribute more on offense. With George starting, he could drop 10 points before you get back from shaking one boss. I'd try it out with the non conference games left.

Joseph’s offense comes from good team offense (ball movement). Our ball movement has been poor so Joseph’s offensive production has been poor. His strength is not creating his own shot… and one of the best things about Bens is that he is generally good at playing to his strengths. If we start moving the ball better, he’ll get more good looks and his offensive production will markedly improve.

Advertisement
I know Coach doesn't like it, but I would mix in some zone defense, and challenge the team that we aren't good enough to play man exclusively, so when they show better effort and improvement we can play more man defense.

I wish we would have gone some zone in our blowout losses, but I admit I didn't watch 2nd half of Colorado I was so frustrated.

George should start with Pack, Bensley go to the bench.

George could bring ball up court more, so Pack could focus on getting his shot off screens.

A good friend of mine played at La Salle with Lionel Simmons in the late 80’s. Still very connected with the program. Works with them in the media area. They know they will have to play their best game yet but they feel this is the game that can validate their record. A10 feels it’s on the rise as a whole too but needs a few marquee wins. We are no longer the hunter that for sure. That said I think we are just too talented and they don’t shoot all that well. I think we win 10-15pts

They have one kid; Daeshon Shepherd who has major bounce. He is going to try and flush one early .

I know Coach doesn't like it, but I would mix in some zone defense, and challenge the team that we aren't good enough to play man exclusively, so when they show better effort and improvement we can play more man defense.

I wish we would have gone some zone in our blowout losses, but I admit I didn't watch 2nd half of Colorado I was so frustrated.

George should start with Pack, Bensley go to the bench.

George could bring ball up court more, so Pack could focus on getting his shot off screens.
I'm far from qualified to critique the x's and o's (or question Coach L) but some things seem like common sense adjustment... when Nwoko (and to some extent Casey) are in, the admitted lack of lateral quickness and following your assignment (man) screams for zone defense... at least selectively give it a try?

I'm far from qualified to critique the x's and o's (or question Coach L) but some things seem like common sense adjustment... when Nwoko (and to some extent Casey) are in, the admitted lack of lateral quickness and following your assignment (man) screams for zone defense... at least selectively give it a try?
I agree! Defense can't be worse than it already is. Zone should also help with coralling more of those elusive long rebounds we don't ever seem to be able to chase down.

Advertisement
Back