I didn’t think early enrollees could participate in bowl practices…

Advertisement
It’s a rule. NCAA allows for early enrollees to participate in bowl practices. They can even suit up for the game if they want too but they are not allowed to play in the bowl game

A rule change by the NCAA allows for early enrollees to get a head start on their collegiate careers. NCAA bylaw 14.2.1.1 - Practice Prior to Initial Enrollment states that “A student-athlete may practice during the official vacation period immediately preceding initial enrollment, provided the student has been accepted by the institution for enrollment in a regular, full-time program of studies at the time of the individual's initial participation; is no longer enrolled in the previous educational institution; and is eligible under all institutional and NCAA requirements.”
Do you have to sign your NLI first? Or is a verbal commit enough? Based on this blurb idk what "all institutional and NCAA requirements" mean but I want to say I saw a tweet about KJ Bolden practicing with FSU but then he flipped to UGA. If that happened that is hilarious for the noles but bad for the sport. Like this dude was at your bowl practices prepping for UGA and then a week or two later that dude signs with UGA lol

Yeah no one on a 2 semester system is enrolled as a full time student until Jan
At UGA and a lot of schools now. if you enroll for the academic semester 2 (starting in january) Any student can live on campus and participate in athletics in December to get "acclimated."

Advertisement
That’s like an extra spring. Before fall practice, they’ve already participated in like 2 full spring sessions.

You need to be enrolled for the Spring semester. CJ Carr is practicing with Notre Dame and going back to 2000, Vince Wilfork was with the Canes when we beat the Gators on and off the field. Old rule.

Well Wilfork sat out a semester for not qualifying but not sure that would matter

Depends on ENROLLMENT.

If you are ALREADY enrolled for the Fall semester, EVEN IF INELIGIBLE (Darrell Jackson), then you could play in the bowl game.

If you are NOT already enrolled for the Fall semester, and you PLAN to enroll for the Spring semester, then you can "practice" but NOT PLAY in the bowl game.

Advertisement
You always could practice for the bowl as a EE. Since 2000s. But, with all these opt outs (Portal, NFL) they should change it to let EE play in post season only and not count as a yr. Also, they should adapt Hugh Freeze spring game vs FCS idea too Josh Pate always mentions it. And cut the FCS games out the regular season, make it 10 games or 11 for championship weekend and rest for bowls/CFP/ early signing day.
I also think all post season bowls/CFP games should be prize fights. Example BBQ bowl winners: 15k losers: 5k CFP games winners: 20k losers: 7k. I bet that slow down opt outs and 2 stars hitting the portal.

Advertisement
Slightly off-topic, but I read today bowl games do not count against the four game redshirt limit. Miami freshman who participated in four games could play tomorrow against Rutgers and still redshirt 2023.

Advertisement
Back