I didn’t think early enrollees could participate in bowl practices…

Advertisement
I thought the same thing until I just saw FSU early enrollee QB is practicing with the team today.

Advertisement
The fsu qb. But think I saw others as well. Wouldn’t make sense for someone who’s team playing in a an early game like ours.

1703617907840.png

Advertisement
I imagine you could practice if you were enrolled in school. Not sure you could practice coming off the street, so to speak. Maybe you can. I seem to remember remember former Alabama running back Mark Ingram practicing the team years after he left for the NFL. Or maybe it was Trent Richardson. Maybe there’s a weird rule about practice-only players.

Would make zero sense for an EE to play in a bowl game. Even with the four game redshirt rules, playing in one game this year is a season, no? Next year the player will be a redshirt freshman instead of a true freshman.

I imagine you could practice if you were enrolled in school. Not sure you could practice coming off the street, so to speak. Maybe you can. I seem to remember remember former Alabama running back Mark Ingram practicing the team years after he left for the NFL. Or maybe it was Trent Richardson. Maybe there’s a weird rule about practice-only players.

Would make zero sense for an EE to play in a bowl game. Even with the four game redshirt rules, playing in one game this year is a season, no? Next year the player will be a redshirt freshman instead of a true freshman.

How are they enrolled in school? What, for the December semester?

You can't enroll in December.

Nobody will be "enrolled in school" until mid-January.

It’s a rule. NCAA allows for early enrollees to participate in bowl practices. They can even suit up for the game if they want too but they are not allowed to play in the bowl game

A rule change by the NCAA allows for early enrollees to get a head start on their collegiate careers. NCAA bylaw 14.2.1.1 - Practice Prior to Initial Enrollment states that “A student-athlete may practice during the official vacation period immediately preceding initial enrollment, provided the student has been accepted by the institution for enrollment in a regular, full-time program of studies at the time of the individual's initial participation; is no longer enrolled in the previous educational institution; and is eligible under all institutional and NCAA requirements.”

Advertisement
You always could practice for the bowl as a EE. Since 2000s. But, with all these opt outs (Portal, NFL) they should change it to let EE play in post season only and not count as a yr. Also, they should adapt Hugh Freeze spring game vs FCS idea too Josh Pate always mentions it. And cut the FCS games out the regular season, make it 10 games or 11 for championship weekend and rest for bowls/CFP/ early signing day.

Last edited:
EE's and practice and dress but aren't allowed to play in the game.

Advertisement
How are they enrolled in school? What, for the December semester?

You can't enroll in December.

Nobody will be "enrolled in school" until mid-January.
Exactly. I was not trying to insinuate an EE was already enrolled in school.

There must be some obscure rules about non-student practice participants.

Advertisement
Back