I can understand the anger with Diaz hire....

jjjrcanes

Sophomore
Because the AD, BOT and Prez has let all of us down for soooo many years! I look at them as a broken clock!! Even a clock in the trash heap gets it right twice a day!

I believe we are dealing with a bunch of clowns running the football program! But even they in the mist of all their incompetency may have stumble on getting it right only by total accident!

When Temple came calling for Diaz, Richt and the keystone cops got together to figure a way to keep him on board. Richt knew he was in trouble if Manny left. After throwing dollar and cents at him he still decided to take the Temple job. So this job interview was already done to keep Diaz here. The AD and the other clowns in charge unexpectedly knew all they needed from Richt advising them how they needed to find a way to keep him.

The Diaz hire was not kneed jerk reaction! AD, BOT, and the Prez felt they were left at the altar when Manny bolted for the Temple job!

Before we get up in arms, we do have precedence for an inexperience coach promoted as HC! I would ask all to read the story of Dabo Sweney's hire at Clemson! A no name assistant coach that the program knew they had to keep out of all the coaches on board. And that included the DC and OC!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...l-of-improbable-entertaining-twists-and-turns

This may be the mistake hire that we were all calling for but not in the way it happened. Believe me It's time for the broken freaking clock to get it right for us!!

I think Manny will bring us from the grave!! JMO!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Fair enough....just seems like they put 0.0 thought into this. It took them less than a day to make this decision. Why not look around at all options. We will get our first clue about Diaz when he decides what to do about the corches on offense (I’m resigned to the fact he will keep everyone on D)

Because the AD, BOT and Prez has let all of us down for soooo many years! I look at them as a broken clock!! Even a clock in the trash heap gets it right twice a day!

I believe we are dealing with a bunch of clowns running the football program! But even they in the mist of all their incompetency may have stumble on getting it right only by total accident!

When Temple came calling for Diaz, Richt and the keystone cops got together to figure a way to keep him on board. Richt knew he was in trouble if Manny left. After throwing dollar and cents at him he still decided to take the Temple job. So this job interview was already done to keep Diaz here. The AD and the other clowns in charge unexpectedly knew all they needed from Richt advising them how they needed to find a way to keep him.

The Diaz hire was not kneed jerk reaction! AD, BOT, and the Prez felt they were left at the altar when Manny bolted for the Temple job!

Before we get up in arms, we do have precedence for an experience coach promoted as HC! I would ask all to read the story of Dabo Sweney's hire at Clemson! A no name assistant coach that the program knew they had to keep out of all the coaches on board. And that included the DC and OC!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...l-of-improbable-entertaining-twists-and-turns

This may be the mistake hire that we were all calling for but not in the way it happened. Believe me It's time for the broken freaking clock to get it right for us!!

The Dabo comparison is very dangerous and it is extremely unlikely Diaz will have that type of success. Randy Shannon is a much more linear comparison. Did you like how that turned out?

It was a hastily made decision, the type I would expect if we were looking to replace a janitor. We have been mired in mediocrity for 15 years, if anything we should have elongated the decision to the point where fans demanded action.

Instead we jumped into this like there was a tax write-off for 2018 we were looking to capitalize on. I don't get it.

It was a hastily made decision, the type I would expect if we were looking to replace a janitor. We have been mired in mediocrity for 15 years, if anything we should have elongated the decision to the point where fans demanded action.

Instead we jumped into this like there was a tax write-off for 2018 we were looking to capitalize on. I don't get it.

EXACTLY

Advertisement

Agree with you. Not necessarily ****ed off that we got Manny. The whole non-process of doing things better oozes of ****.

Agree with you. Not necessarily ****ed off that we got Manny. The whole non-process of doing things better oozes of ****.
I like Manny, too. I do. But even if Manny was our first choice, this was mishandled. Does Blake James not know about leverage? He could have entertained four or five coaching prospects, including Manny, under the false pretense of a thorough search just to get Manny to lower his asking price or agree to a shorter contract.

Guarantee you had they reached out to Meyer he'd show up in the Gables wearing flip flops and socks!

Advertisement
I like Manny, too. I do. But even if Manny was our first choice, this was mishandled. Does Blake James not know about leverage? He could have entertained four or five coaching prospects, including Manny, under the false pretense of a thorough search just to get Manny to lower his asking price or agree to a shorter contract.
💯

I may be in the minority here but I think Diaz was the right hire. He's the best coach that we had on staff during the Richt era and outside of pulling a former NFL head coach that's been fired recently, there's no splash hire to be made in the college ranks that isn't a complete pipe dream.

Putting together a "process" or "national search" is a waste of time and resources if the right guy is ready to take the job and could actually do more harm than good

Before we get up in arms, we do have precedence for an inexperience coach promoted as HC! I would ask all to read the story of Dabo Sweney's hire at Clemson! A no name assistant coach that the program knew they had to keep out of all the coaches on board. And that included the DC and OC!

Like many, I am not happy about the hiring process...seems bush league. I think there was a negotiation with Richt to get Manny the job. It was a done deal when Richt announced. That said, Manny might be the right man for the job. If he can keep our defense in the top 10, then we will always have that going for us. If he hires an OC and staff that is committed to opening up the offense and getting our playmakers in isolation, we will see our offense leap into the top 30 from its woeful mid 90s. We have the athletes at receiver and running back. Our oline isn't as bad as people think, and we have some young guys who are solid. QB is a crapshoot, but most open offenses feature quick throws and not too many reads. I don't know how he is as a recruiter, but I am cautiously optimistic. Would have preferred Butch or Babers, but this is a huge leap past Richt.

Advertisement
Like many, I am not happy about the hiring process...seems bush league. I think there was a negotiation with Richt to get Manny the job. It was a done deal when Richt announced. That said, Manny might be the right man for the job. If he can keep our defense in the top 10, then we will always have that going for us. If he hires an OC and staff that is committed to opening up the offense and getting our playmakers in isolation, we will see our offense leap into the top 30 from its woeful mid 90s. We have the athletes at receiver and running back. Our oline isn't as bad as people think, and we have some young guys who are solid. QB is a crapshoot, but most open offenses feature quick throws and not too many reads. I don't know how he is as a recruiter, but I am cautiously optimistic. Would have preferred Butch or Babers, but this is a huge leap past Richt.
Keep in mind that if he was recruiting with a strong offense his success would have been much better at getting the players he wanted. He had to recruit with some serious headwinds because of Richts offense and string of loses.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back