I’m starting to think we get a 2 seed

Miami04

Senior
Even if we lose tomorrow. I’m thinking 1-1 in the ACC tournament gets us a 2 seed.

We have the most wins in the ACC
#1 non conf RPI
Top 25 RPI
One of only a handful of schools with something like 14+ top 50 wins. (Can’t remember the exact stat)

Maybe the biggest thing in our favor is the rest of the ACC falling apart. (minus NC St who we have a series win over and ND). We’ve gone from worrying about making the ACC tournament to having a shot of the 3rd best conference record.

On paper we look a lot better than we feel about the team. Plus, two very big series wins to end the season.

Advertisement
I’m not sure we need to win another game to be a two seed. Despite D1Baseball’s ardent desire to ignore it, the committee showed with their host picks that our RPI will be valued. The thing just won’t move no matter what we do! Good or bad.

On a semi-related note, if we do sweep Louisville tomorrow, what will the justification be to give an at large bid to a team that finished .500 in their conference with an RPI in the 60s?

I hate to look back, and we knew it at the time, but the debacle at BC and the Pitt series really fked us up. We could have been a 33-34 win team through the regular season. BC is such a bad team.

I hate to look back, and we knew it at the time, but the debacle at BC and the Pitt series really fked us up. We could have been a 33-34 win team through the regular season. BC is such a bad team.

How about if Torals hit at UNC had gone one foot further?

Advertisement
It's BS that we're not even being considered to host a regional.

I'm not saying we deserve it right now, but I think we would deserve it if we win the ACC tournament. We have a top 20 RPI, will finish 2nd or 4th in the ACC with a win today, and would have the tournament title.

Is the NCAA locked into those 20 sites? I wonder if their recent decision to allow 100% capacity changes things. If the initial decision was made mostly due to COVID, but they're subsequently decided that COVID is no longer a major concern, what's the justification for only picking among those sites?

Even if we lose tomorrow. I’m thinking 1-1 in the ACC tournament gets us a 2 seed.

We have the most wins in the ACC
#1 non conf RPI
Top 25 RPI
One of only a handful of schools with something like 14+ top 50 wins. (Can’t remember the exact stat)

Maybe the biggest thing in our favor is the rest of the ACC falling apart. (minus NC St who we have a series win over and ND). We’ve gone from worrying about making the ACC tournament to having a shot of the 3rd best conference record.

On paper we look a lot better than we feel about the team. Plus, two very big series wins to end the season.
And good point that we look better on paper than the losers on this message board "feel" about the team. The posters here must be new to baseball. There's no other explanation for how they've overreacted to all of the ups and downs of the season.

I’m not sure we need to win another game to be a two seed. Despite D1Baseball’s ardent desire to ignore it, the committee showed with their host picks that our RPI will be valued. The thing just won’t move no matter what we do! Good or bad.

On a semi-related note, if we do sweep Louisville tomorrow, what will the justification be to give an at large bid to a team that finished .500 in their conference with an RPI in the 60s?
We need to win today first and win at least one next week, but our resume looks as good as UF, LaTech, Pitt, S Miss and the Zags. If not for the NCAA's rush to judgement on selecting host sites (a week isn't enough time to get facilities ready, etc?), we'd still be in the discussion. BTW, the first 4 out will come from the 5 teams I listed above IMO. Pitt is obvious and the other 4 are playing poorly right now, have questionable RPIs and in the case of the Zags, had 9 games cancelled because of COVID.

I hope I don't jinx it but if we keep playing like the last several conference games, is it possible that we could be a #1 at someone else's place, or did the Committee eliminate that possibility when they went to the 20 teams?

Is the NCAA locked into those 20 sites? I wonder if their recent decision to allow 100% capacity changes things. If the initial decision was made mostly due to COVID, but they're subsequently decided that COVID is no longer a major concern, what's the justification for only picking among those sites?
I laughed at the covid Take because you’re so right but the ncaa never Does anything logical so it’s only fitting they jump the gun on their decision

Advertisement
I laughed at the covid Take because you’re so right but the ncaa never Does anything logical so it’s only fitting they jump the gun on their decision
It's a joke. In doing my research on the 20 teams, it became obvious to me that the SEC bias in baseball is as strong as football, e.g. the average SEC team plays twice as many home games as away, UF's resume is very comparable if not worse than ours yet they are ranked in the top 10, etc.

Oh well, as Al Davis used to say, "just win baby".

It's a joke. In doing my research on the 20 teams, it became obvious to me that the SEC bias in baseball is as strong as football, e.g. the average SEC team plays twice as many home games as away, UF's resume is very comparable if not worse than ours yet they are ranked in the top 10, etc.

Oh well, as Al Davis used to say, "just win baby".
Agreed but what really killed this team on paper was the FSU series.

Advertisement
What if we spank them 11-2 this week in the tournament? Wouldn't that change things?

It's ridiculous to have been eliminated from hosting consideration with two big series and the ACC tournament still to go.
Will need to spank them 11-2 3 straight times to get even but completely understand you’re point and agree with it. It also seems like these projections have been ignoring hosting teams midweek slates and focusing on conference solely

Advertisement
I said that a while ago based on who was in front of us. I thought it was garbage then and still is.

This hasn't been one of our better seasons (yet maybe) but when you play in the ACC, our RPI, and these other schools who play in garbage conferences ranked ahead of us...

One of those sites even had us as like the 32nd ranked team and really, whoever did that just shouldn't be writing baseball articles or brackets for anyone.

I agree with everyone that this has been an up and down season. However, those mid-week games weren't always cup cakes. We played a tough OOC schedule I think.

We aren't sneaking in anywhere. They deserve at least a 2 seed what is Florida like 35-16? Didn't FAU beat FL and we swept FAU?

Tired of this SEC crap TBH just like everybody else. What is to say they are the best conference where they occupy 5 of the top 10 spots? Why should Charlotte, Southern Miss, Louisiana Whatever, and Charlotte be ranked in front of us when let's be clear the ACC is a good baseball conference.

We are as deserving as any team outside the top 10. That includes Florida. It is a crap shoot.

With all that said, yeah we don't have consistent hitting or pitching. Dumb base running at times. But any given Sunday...Oh wait wrong sport.

And good point that we look better on paper than the losers on this message board "feel" about the team. The posters here must be new to baseball. There's no other explanation for how they've overreacted to all of the ups and downs of the season.
I hear ya, but... I have followed the canes for 37 years. This year the lows are really low and the highs are really high, more so than any team I can remember. Tough year, can't explain it all.

It's BS that we're not even being considered to host a regional.

I'm not saying we deserve it right now, but I think we would deserve it if we win the ACC tournament. We have a top 20 RPI, will finish 2nd or 4th in the ACC with a win today, and would have the tournament title.

There is none - why not add 4 teams after this weekend? NC St is probably thinking the same thing about now.

We need to win today first and win at least one next week, but our resume looks as good as UF, LaTech, Pitt, S Miss and the Zags. If not for the NCAA's rush to judgement on selecting host sites (a week isn't enough time to get facilities ready, etc?), we'd still be in the discussion. BTW, the first 4 out will come from the 5 teams I listed above IMO. Pitt is obvious and the other 4 are playing poorly right now, have questionable RPIs and in the case of the Zags, had 9 games cancelled because of COVID.

I hope I don't jinx it but if we keep playing like the last several conference games, is it possible that we could be a #1 at someone else's place, or did the Committee eliminate that possibility when they went to the 20 teams?
It’s hypothetically possible, although the move to 20 was likely to avoid the possibility. We’d need to make a deep run next week, if not win the tournament, to have any realistic chance.

Advertisement
Back