Hypothetically speaking

T

TreOFive

This is coming from an AG mope and Butch supporter

Just curious to hear thoughts......what would everyone say if Richt were to win the NC this and next year? Would people give Golden credit for amassing the majority of that talent? we do that with Butch. Not saying AG is Butch.

Advertisement
No Coach Richt would get the credit, the difference is Butch left a multitude of NFL Players on this roster from Seniors to the freshmen from the class before, right now there's probably only 10-11 players who have the possibility to be drafted and if he won a NC with this year's Secondary depth and how young we would be next year at the same position it would have to be considered one of the greatest coaching jobs in history of the program.

Last edited:
It would definitely be against heavy odds for us to win the NC. That 2001 team was preceded by a **** good 2000 team and almost everyone knew where the program was headed at that time....

Let's cross that bridge when we get there.

Advertisement
I'll give Golden credit, he left us better off than Randy did, but in terms of what he missed on in his 5 years.. too many guys that could have the U elite again. If we had a few of Dalvin, Ridley, Sony, Collins, Calloway, Rudolph, etc we'd be in contention already.

But you can't deny the fact that if Richt were to make it to a NCG that it would be the greatest piece of coaching ever done in less than 1 year. So no, Golden doesn't get that much credit.

Advertisement
Amassing talent??? Overall, Golden and his staff were not good recruiters or talent evaluators here. You have to look at the whole roster. For every Thurston Armbrister, there were 3 guys who weren't good enough to be here and 1 guy who never made it in.

If Richt wins a national championship with this team, he'll be doing it despite Golden's talent. Have you seen the corner back situation?

We had more Draft Picks than wins two years ago. That tells you all you need to know about Al Golden

If we win this year it is a testament to Richt coaching, not golden recruiting. Outside of a couple positions, this roster is in the bottom half of miami rosters over the last 30 years from a talent perspective.

Golden won't be seen the same way as Butch because under him we were never in the same hemisphere of competing as we were under Butch. Considering Larry Coker won with Butch's talent it's not unfair to say it's almost certain that Butch could've equalled or bettered his success had he stayed.

Golden in no way could say the same. Richt would be seen as a miracle worker if we somehow won it all in his first year.

Advertisement
I would say that Richt is one helluva coach if he were to win the NC this year and the next. I suppose that I would give Golden a small amount of credit for recruiting the talent that allowed for Richt to win with. But, make no mistake about it, Golden wouldn't have won a NC with the talent he recruited. I just don't think that himself or his staff had the ability to coach a NC team. So most of my praise would go to Coach Richt.

Saban and Urban Meyer on the same coaching staff couldnt win a NC with our current secondary and Oline. If Richt can start locking down some serious O-linemen and get the secondary/wr where they need to be then we can start talking NC again.

Advertisement
Remember Butch was robbed of an opportunity to win a BCS championship when we got screwed by the computer. That's the overwhelming difference, Butch was actually maximizing the talent he stockpiled and winning games. Golden got ****canned after gettin thrashed 58-0, Butch left for greener ($$$) pastures...

I'll give Golden credit, he left us better off than Randy did, but in terms of what he missed on in his 5 years.. too many guys that could have the U elite again. If we had a few of Dalvin, Ridley, Sony, Collins, Calloway, Rudolph, etc we'd be in contention already.

But you can't deny the fact that if Richt were to make it to a NCG that it would be the greatest piece of coaching ever done in less than 1 year. So no, Golden doesn't get that much credit.

Didnt mean to neg.

This is coming from an AG mope and Butch supporter

Just curious to hear thoughts......what would everyone say if Richt were to win the NC this and next year? Would people give Golden credit for amassing the majority of that talent? we do that with Butch. Not saying AG is Butch.

No.

Al golden turned in a 7 win season with a team that had 8-9 guys get drafted or make an NFL team. He will never get any credit nor does he deserve any.

Advertisement
Back