Hypothetically speaking....National Championship + COVID-19

PBJFanatic

Sophomore
Folks, let's say that some conferences move forward and play this fall (I doubt it); how would that impact the legitimacy of the national championship? The talent pool and competition would be diluted by 50%+. We would be talking about an Asterix season for the ages. How valuable with a NC be under these circumstances? Thoughts?

Advertisement
It's going to have an asterisk because the schedules were shaken up already.

I'm not sure the schedule changes alone would be the asterisk. We used to crown conference champions via multiple tiebreakers, with no championship game, so as long as conferences have a process and we get to a Final Four, I'm not sure the loss of OOC games is asterisk-worthy.

If anything, P5 conferences playing 9 or 10 conference games seems to be more of a legit schedule than just playing 8 conference games. Most of the OOC stuff doesn't impact the Final Four anyhow.

This year will have a big asterisk because a bunch of teams aren't even capable of playing for the championship.

Advertisement
It feels like some of you guys are like twelve and have no concept of the history of College Football.

THE AP Poll is going to award a Champion no matter if it is just two teams playing in a back yard...
... and it will be a valid Championship.

The Big and Pac Conferences used to exclusively play each other in the Rose Bowl each year and no one gave a **** about them unless they had an undefeated team which was once every few years but whatever. They usually screwed it up somehow.
Heck, Penn State went Undefeated in 1994 and did not even get split Championship for heavens sake. And that was with a storied team and (at the time) one of the most iconic faces of the Sport as their leader.

SEC, ACC and Big 12, ND plus whatever Independents are left is good enough sample pool for a Champion.
In fact I can argue that this Championship will be worth more than all the other ones because of the attrition that may occur due to the virus and the mental stress and pressure many have had to deal with.

C670879E-80AB-4971-BDA3-E499F7FE60D2.jpeg

Advertisement
Not 12. And no need to be so condescending; nasty attitude. Your answer does not address the point. If teams play, whomever wins, will have this over their head in terms of how legitimate the NC is. That's the point. We all remember the days of AP/USA Today and Bowl games. There is also Wikipedia for that for those that haven't.

We are all Canes fans here; be courteous.

Not 12. And no need to be so condescending; nasty attitude. Your answer does not address the point. If teams play, whomever wins, will have this over their head in terms of how legitimate the NC is. That's the point. We all remember the days of AP/USA Today and Bowl games. There is also Wikipedia for that for those that haven't.

I am not trying to be condescending but the question is not a good one given the history of the sport and how a Champion is determined.
There was a time The Champions were crowned before Bowl games even took place and no one says they are not legitimate Champions.
This year if there is a season the Champion will be be valid , period.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Lets see, SEC and ACC are playing when was the last time a school not from one of them won the NC? Urban got his one ...... Hum. You could go with Clemson, OU and two of Bama, UGA and LSU and have legit championship game. I just threw OU in there but really?

So what difference does hypotheticals make? Aren't they hypothetical?

Advertisement
Back