Hypothetical Dramatization of Miami's History

Shogungts

Junior
Premium
The Athletic had a "Dear Andy" mailbag today where someone asked him after watching Winning Time (a dramatization of the building of the Showtime era Lakers) what college football team getting the same treatment would make the best show. He had a few suggestions, but the first one he recommended was Miami...

The U

Two 30 For 30 installments and the Young Rock sitcom have laid the groundwork, but a dramatized version of Miami’s rise to power in the ’80s and subsequent dominance would be epic. Co-worker Bruce Feldman’s “Cane Mutiny” probably is the book a studio could start by optioning. I want Leonardo DiCaprio playing the late Howard Schnellenberger as an only slightly different version of Calvin Candie from Django Unchained. Think DiCaprio is too young? He’s 47. Schnelly was 44 when he got the Miami job. I asked Bruce for his recommendation, and it also was excellent. “Do you think J.K. Simmons can grow that mustache?” Bruce texted back.

The beauty of this show in terms of casting is that it can be treated essentially as an anthology series. One season is a Schnellenberger season. One is a Jimmy Johnson season. One is a Dennis Erickson season. One season could trace Butch Davis leading the Hurricanes out of the NCAA probation of the late ’90s and into the baddest team in the universe at the turn of the century. The list of characters for this one is incredibly long. There’s Schnelly, Jimmy Johnson, Melvin Bratton, Michael Irvin, Vinny Testaverde, Jerome Brown, Dwayne Johnson, Warren Sapp. Perhaps keep one narrator as a throughline/Greek chorus who can help the audience navigate from Bernie Kosar to Michael Irvin to Warren Sapp to Jeremy Shockey. That person should be none other than Luther Campbell — or rather a fictionalized version of Uncle Luke. RJ Cyler from “Me, Earl and The Dying Girl” was rumored to be playing Campbell in the planned adaptation of Campbell’s autobiography, so maybe he plays the young version of the rap impresario. Or perhaps Donald Glover — an actor whose Childish Gambino alter ego is a tremendous rapper — could do it. But given what Glover has done with “Atlanta,” there’s probably no way to get him unless he’s the showrunner. So offer him the show. Let’s get him to lunch with Bruce and get this thing greenlit.

Obviously the chances of this happening are pretty non-existent, but I still thought it was a fun idea. The full article is below, but thought thought the board could have some fun with casting UM historical figures. Who plays Jimmy? Or Shalala?

theathletic.com/3174185/2022/03/10/andy-could-the-u-as-the-plains-burn-be-winning-plays-for-winning-time-plus-which-sec-east-qb-will-shine-brightest/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Advertisement
Leo might technically be old enough but he'll always look 33. Howard is like Wilford Brimley. He always looked 68.

Advertisement
British comedian Mark Wootton could play Al Golden—based off his Gary Garner character in his Showtime series "La La Land".

View attachment 179397
iu.jpeg

Advertisement
The Athletic had a "Dear Andy" mailbag today where someone asked him after watching Winning Time (a dramatization of the building of the Showtime era Lakers) what college football team getting the same treatment would make the best show. He had a few suggestions, but the first one he recommended was Miami...

The U

Two 30 For 30 installments and the Young Rock sitcom have laid the groundwork, but a dramatized version of Miami’s rise to power in the ’80s and subsequent dominance would be epic. Co-worker Bruce Feldman’s “Cane Mutiny” probably is the book a studio could start by optioning. I want Leonardo DiCaprio playing the late Howard Schnellenberger as an only slightly different version of Calvin Candie from Django Unchained. Think DiCaprio is too young? He’s 47. Schnelly was 44 when he got the Miami job. I asked Bruce for his recommendation, and it also was excellent. “Do you think J.K. Simmons can grow that mustache?” Bruce texted back.

The beauty of this show in terms of casting is that it can be treated essentially as an anthology series. One season is a Schnellenberger season. One is a Jimmy Johnson season. One is a Dennis Erickson season. One season could trace Butch Davis leading the Hurricanes out of the NCAA probation of the late ’90s and into the baddest team in the universe at the turn of the century. The list of characters for this one is incredibly long. There’s Schnelly, Jimmy Johnson, Melvin Bratton, Michael Irvin, Vinny Testaverde, Jerome Brown, Dwayne Johnson, Warren Sapp. Perhaps keep one narrator as a throughline/Greek chorus who can help the audience navigate from Bernie Kosar to Michael Irvin to Warren Sapp to Jeremy Shockey. That person should be none other than Luther Campbell — or rather a fictionalized version of Uncle Luke. RJ Cyler from “Me, Earl and The Dying Girl” was rumored to be playing Campbell in the planned adaptation of Campbell’s autobiography, so maybe he plays the young version of the rap impresario. Or perhaps Donald Glover — an actor whose Childish Gambino alter ego is a tremendous rapper — could do it. But given what Glover has done with “Atlanta,” there’s probably no way to get him unless he’s the showrunner. So offer him the show. Let’s get him to lunch with Bruce and get this thing greenlit.

Obviously the chances of this happening are pretty non-existent, but I still thought it was a fun idea. The full article is below, but thought thought the board could have some fun with casting UM historical figures. Who plays Jimmy? Or Shalala?

theathletic.com/3174185/2022/03/10/andy-could-the-u-as-the-plains-burn-be-winning-plays-for-winning-time-plus-which-sec-east-qb-will-shine-brightest/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983
👆I don't think I can handle that much **** in a single sitting.

Advertisement
Back