Hybrid Secondary Defenders the best new thing?

dukebeeasy305

Sophomore
Last edited:
Advertisement
their not inventing the wheel. There have been a thing called a rover....and god knows how long Bud Foster has done it at V tECH. I mean Saban is doing it because his 5 stars haven't fit the build at the safety spot....and he has had to save it with eddie Jackson and Fitzpatrick. The only one ive seen worth a sh*t is Derwin James at FSU...he's legit. Peppers was a glorified line backer...Fitzpatrick obviously doesn't even want to play it.

On our current roster we don't have one. In the 2018 class we have a few guys in Frierson and Jobe that can be

their not inventing the wheel. There have been a thing called a rover....and god knows how long Bud Foster has done it at V tECH. I mean Saban is doing it because his 5 stars haven't fit the build at the safety spot....and he has had to save it with eddie Jackson and Fitzpatrick. The only one ive seen worth a sh*t is Derwin James at FSU...he's legit. Peppers was a glorified line backer...Fitzpatrick obviously doesn't even want to play it.

On our current roster we don't have one. In the 2018 class we have a few guys in Frierson and Jobe that can be

rovers are more lb/db hybrids, I believe they mean more safety/corner in the article

Defensive football has moved to become a game of sub-packages. For some time, plenty of good coaches have used specialty players to blur the lines between positions and try to claw back to neutral against offenses given the advantage by the rules.

Advertisement
Maybe Delaney is the closest thing we have to this?

Jaquan Johnson is the best example in our secondary. He'll be a full time safety this year (probably) but he did a great job as a nickle/rover last season.

When you take this into account, should Jaquan stay at nickel?

He practiced as the starting nickel all spring from what I read.

A decade ago, a nickelback might have been the third-best cornerback on the roster. But now, with star slot receivers such as Christian Kirk in college and Julian Edelman in the NFL, the nickelback might actually be the best playmaker on defense. Coaches such as Fitzgerald are looking for so-called "position flexibility" during the recruiting process, eyeing corners who could grow into safety types or safeties with linebacker characteristics.

Advertisement
When you take this into account, should Jaquan stay at nickel?

He practiced as the starting nickel all spring from what I read.

A decade ago, a nickelback might have been the third-best cornerback on the roster. But now, with star slot receivers such as Christian Kirk in college and Julian Edelman in the NFL, the nickelback might actually be the best playmaker on defense. Coaches such as Fitzgerald are looking for so-called "position flexibility" during the recruiting process, eyeing corners who could grow into safety types or safeties with linebacker characteristics.

That's what I was thinking.. but it depends on how good Carter can be as starter and the depth players would have to be solid. But in any event this is the reason Diaz are heavily recruiting "DBs" instead of true S or true CB. Most of them can be plugged anywhere throughout the secondary.

Charles Woodson did this in the NFL for the last 5 years of his career. Not a new concept, just proliferating as defenses adjust to offenses.

Semi-related: Read something interesting the other day that NFL offenses are starting to go heavy again as defenses have gotten faster. Fullbacks and halfbacks starting to make a comeback, with a few guys like Jurcyzyzkzkzkykyk getting paid this offsason. Explains Marquez getting drafted and bodes well for Herndon's pro future.

Advertisement
Gary Patterson been doing this for over a decade.

Facts.. TCU was one of the first teams to have an answer for the spread offense.

But the nickel package is becoming the new base defense for most college teams and will soon be the case for most NFL teams.

Most teams run 11 or 10 personalle so having that extra DB is huge.

I think JJ is our best Nickel, then bandy who I believe has the perfect skill set for it

I eluded to this a couple years ago when Saban was b!tching and moaning about not being able to send in his sub-packages. Due to the spread offenses (and tempo) defensive coaches are being forced to find/utilize more versatile defenders. Guys that can not only stay on the field all 3 downs but guys that can move around and line-up in different spots.

With the way spread offense utilize the slot WR, who is often their most explosive weapon, you can no longer have LB's or 3rd string CB's covering those guys. You need to have legitimate cover guys that you can move inside.

Had an FSU fan tell me that Derwin James is the best DB in college football and 1000% times better than any UM DB. I simply brought up that one of our freshmen LB's from last year has more career interceptions and pass deflections then James. Then he went on to tell me James doesn't drop in Coverage very much. I must have missed something because I thought that's how we decide who the best DB is.

Advertisement
I eluded to this a couple years ago when Saban was b!tching and moaning about not being able to send in his sub-packages. Due to the spread offenses (and tempo) defensive coaches are being forced to find/utilize more versatile defenders. Guys that can not only stay on the field all 3 downs but guys that can move around and line-up in different spots.

With the way spread offense utilize the slot WR, who is often their most explosive weapon, you can no longer have LB's or 3rd string CB's covering those guys. You need to have legitimate cover guys that you can move inside.
Don't mess up our team in Bradenton...

Kinda on topic but i think the Steelers will use Jamal Carter as a hybrid linebacker of sorts. Hes a freak of nature physically all ready imagine how the NFL will make him. Ray Ray had the same type of upside and he so far has panned out well.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Kinda on topic but i think the Steelers will use Jamal Carter as a hybrid linebacker of sorts. Hes a freak of nature physically all ready imagine how the NFL will make him. Ray Ray had the same type of upside and he so far has panned out well.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say he's a freak of nature physically, but curious to see how he is used.

I always thought he looked too slow and stiff for a S. Maybe he's better served being a LB or hybrid type player as you mentioned

Advertisement
Back