Hurricanes well-represented in 2023 MLB Draft

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
The Canes Baseball program saw eleven of their players and prospects get the nod from various clubs in the 2023 MLB Draft. Among these were six players who have already left a mark on the team and five recruits who have signed with the Canes for next season.

Yohandy Morales and Andrew Walters, both of whom were distinguished All-ACC First Team selections in the previous season, were notable picks in the second round of the draft. Third baseman Morales is set to sport the colors of the Washington Nationals, having been selected as the 40th pick, while right-handed pitcher Walters will head north to Cleveland, as the 68th pick for the Guardians.

The Guardians also scooped up All-ACC Second Team first baseman CJ Kayfus, taking him as their 93rd overall pick in the third round. Another All-ACC Second Team player, right-handed pitcher Alejandro Rosario, went to the Texas Rangers in the fifth round. The round was eventful for the Hurricanes, with Zach Levenson, an All-ACC Second Team outfielder, being chosen by the St. Louis Cardinals, and Dominic Pitelli, an All-ACC Second Team shortstop, going as a seventh-round pick to the Cincinnati Reds.
The batch of six draftees from the Hurricanes stood second in the ACC, falling short only to Wake Forest's ten picks. This echoed the 2022 MLB Draft, where Miami also had six of their players selected.

In addition to seasoned players, fresh faces from Miami's 16th-ranked recruiting class, as per Perfect Game, also drew attention. The top pick was shortstop Adrian Santana from Doral Academy, who was selected in the first round as the 31st pick by the Tampa Bay Rays. The Philadelphia Phillies showed interest in IMG Academy outfielder TayShaun Walton in the fourth round. Miami Dade College also saw two of its talents drafted - outfielder Wooyeoul Shin in the 16th round by the Rays, and left-handed pitcher Herick Hernandez in the 19th round by the Reds. Finally, the 17th round pick of the Pittsburgh Pirates was ESB Academy's third baseman Daniel Cuvet.

Advertisement
How are we feeling about Cuvet? I don't think the Pirates will have that much $ left to throw at a R17 pick to make him pass on college baseball.

Advertisement
Boys told me Shin was gone…
IMG_1713.jpeg

It took the Redskins two years to come up with…Commanders.

Should’ve changed their names back to the original moniker “Warrior” or kept The Name Football Team.

As far as Cleveland, if they would’ve changed the mascot, I truly believe there wouldn’t have been an issue. I mean does anyone have an issue w/ The Braves? Or Golden State being called Warriors?

Both franchises dropped the ball & came up w/ the worst alternate names.

Advertisement
Should’ve changed their names back to the original moniker “Warrior” or kept The Name Football Team.

As far as Cleveland, if they would’ve changed the mascot, I truly believe there wouldn’t have been an issue. I mean does anyone have an issue w/ The Braves? Or Golden State being called Warriors?

Both franchises dropped the ball & came up w/ the worst alternate names.
I thought Red Wolves was the one

Advertisement
They agreed on 150k before he was picked. Until ink hits paper, either side can can get cold feet, but I heard his grades at MDC sucked and he might not even be eligible for UM.
I had heard the same about the grades when he first committed, but heard he cleaned them up

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back