Hurricanes hit rock bottom. Miami Herald Barry Jackson

Freshman
Banned
"One person in touch with the UM coaching staff said the Canes privately won’t be unhappy if Williams looks to transfer. And they shouldn’t be. "

"That aforementioned UM person said he wouldn’t be surprised to see Lorenzo Lingard transfer. The five-star running back inexplicably didn’t get a carry Thursday"
"I reported Tuesday that a UM player said some players were unmotivated and disinterested in this game, and the UM offense was whipped by the scout team defense in practice last week."

"Williams told Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM: “We were going through the motions” - which is quite an indictment of the players. And the coaches were apparently helpless to motivate them."
"The source who said UM would like to move on from Enos said offensive line coach Butch Barry is seriously at risk, too. Barry coached a unit that allowed the fourth most sacks in college football and couldn’t create holes for a running game that was 120th in the country and averaged 2.6 yards per carry Thursday.

"An associate of Barry said when he arrived at UM, he was shocked how bad the talent was on the offensive line. But he ultimately could do nothing to make it better."

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article238347528.html

Advertisement
Sorry, but that business about the OL not being talented is BS. I know the star ratings aren't everything, but you can't tell me that national professionals who rated many of our OL at either a 3 or 4 star, were wrong across the board. Every one of them. I don't buy it. I believe they're untrained, but I don't buy that an OL coach with a brain and work ethic, working with an OC that also fits that description, can't coax at least mediocrity out of a group that was mostly rated pretty highly. About the only player who wasn't rated highly was Zion.

Of course, I think the OC has a LOT to do with the performance of an OL in their system and their game day play calling.

As fans many of us have overrated the talent level on this roster. There is more talent than the results shown on the field, but the QB and OL are a mess. There are no premier DTs. The WRs and LBs are average. The DBs are not playmakers.

Of course, the biggest talent gap in on the sideline. Is there anyone on the staff who could find another P5-level job? I don’t think Enos will find a QB coaching job unless it was at a bottom feeder program like Rutgers.

And, while I think Feely is an upgrade over Gus running the S&C program, Miami is still lacking when compared to elite programs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Coaching staff could not motivate the players. How is it going to be any different in 2020 with Diaz and especially if the start loosing?
I can’t say defense was going through the motions but it’s been said offense hated Enos

Sorry, but that business about the OL not being talented is BS. I know the star ratings aren't everything, but you can't tell me that national professionals who rated many of our OL at either a 3 or 4 star, were wrong across the board. Every one of them. I don't buy it. I believe they're untrained, but I don't buy that an OL coach with a brain and work ethic, working with an OC that also fits that description, can't coax at least mediocrity out of a group that was mostly rated pretty highly. About the only player who wasn't rated highly was Zion.

Of course, I think the OC has a LOT to do with the performance of an OL in their system and their game day play calling.
Had to be something for Nelson a true freshman who was under weight and under strength to start at the key LT position.

Advertisement
As fans many of us have overrated the talent level on this roster. There is more talent than the results shown on the field, but the QB and OL are a mess. There are no premier DTs. The WRs and LBs are average. The DBs are not playmakers.

Of course, the biggest talent gap in on the sideline. Is there anyone on the staff who could find another P5-level job? I don’t think Enos will find a QB coaching job unless it was at a bottom feeder program like Rutgers.

And, while I think Feely is an upgrade over Gus running the S&C program, Miami is still lacking when compared to elite programs.
Feely is Ok but some of those assistant S&C people they have kept over the years need to depart.

Advertisement
Back