Hurricane Tennis 2014-15

View as article

Kirijax

Senior
Time to start a new thread for the 2014-15 tennis teams! The first bit of news is about Canes commit Christian Langmo. He has been having a great summer, winning two tournaments and finishing runner-up in a third. He has defeated a top ten player from next year's seniors and also defeated a Michigan commit in one of the tournaments. He has gotten his ranking back up to #19 in the nation. He is currently without a coach which makes it even more amazing. Will be interesting to see what Rincon and ****son can help him out with when he gets started there.

Canes Commit Christian Langmo Rising

25.jpg

Advertisement
On the women's side, I saw a couple days ago that Kelsey Laurente transferred to the Oklahoma State Cowboys. She was suspended for an unknown reason right before the NCAA tournament (must have been pretty bad) so this news surprises no one. It's gonna hurt though, because Laurente was ranked as high as No. 33 in the country last year and was a solid No. 2, sometimes No. 1 in the lineup.

With Laurente leaving, the roster is at five. The bare minimum needed for dual team play is six. So what happen now? The school just announced that they have five freshmen signed for next year. There is blue-chip and No. 5 Yolimar Ogando from Puerto Rico, Judith Bohnenkamp from Germany, Silvia Fuentes from Spain, Sinead Lohan from Ireland and Wendy Zhang from Canada. Hard to say what kind of team we will have next year on the women's side. Could go either way.

Laurente Transfers, Five Freshmen Coming In

Last edited:
I take it domestically tennis is on a downswing.

Miami is losing out badly in getting the top recruits in the States so they have no choice but to go overseas to stay somewhat competitive. Not that it helped the men's team much last year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The spanish girl Silva looks like a front runner for rookie of the year so far , mostly because the other pics aren't as good . Nice site Btw .

The spanish girl Silva looks like a front runner for rookie of the year so far , mostly because the other pics aren't as good . Nice site Btw .

Thanks. I had to dig for the pics I finally found. Will update as I find them!

Advertisement
Clementina Riobueno won last week's ITA Summer Circuit tourney at the University of Florida. This will qualify her for the national championships in August, I think. Although I have no idea how ITA does anything. Still, a doubles title at Alabama and a singles title at Florida. Not bad!

Riobueno Wins Florida ITA Summer Circuit Tourney

Advertisement
The NCAA is at it again. They have recommended rule changes again to try to make the sport more "fan-friendly". There are so many problems with this and most players, coaches and fans are against it. Tennis doesn't need to change. The way they market it and get the information out is what needs to change.

NCAA MAKES RULE CHANGES FOR COLLEGE TENNIS. AGAIN.

Looks like another Cane is transferring out of Miami. William Albanese, a junior for the upcoming year has disappeared from the official Miami roster. On the ITA Summer National Championships draw, he has Arkansas listed as his school. Albanese was did pretty good in the bottom of the line up last year and it will be disappointing to see him go. I sent the team several Twitter messages but they have not responded. The team now has four remaining players from last year with four or five new recruits coming in. Hard to tell what sort of year is in store for the Canes. Although it can't get much worse. They have missed three consecutive NCAA tournaments for the first time ever so they will either fall completely out of the national rankings (No. 55 last year) or make a run at a NCAA berth. Impossible to predict anything at this point.

Advertisement
Back