Hurricane Hoops Report: Miami 69, Tenn Tech 58

5n7

Retired staff
Premium
I was only able to catch the 2nd half, but even from this, I have to say...I really really like the product Coach L is attempting to put out there.

First the 2 basic adjustments weve made tactically, which many of us have been calling for...

1) A more organized, fluent offense to take advantage of our guard play

2) More man defense, specifically, more pressure man defense, again, to take advantage of our athleticism and guards

OFFENSE

Its very simple really. Haith wasnt known as a great strategist, and he didnt have a quality assistant coach who could serve an an Offensive Coordinator either. The result was basically helter-skelter on a nightly basis. Sure, we had winning record, but it was because if Haith was good at one thing, he was an exellent recruiter and at the least his players lifted weights, got stronger/faster etc. But he was lacking a good system. Folks, those days are over. The man with the plan has arrived an its a good one.

Basically, were running a 4 out/1 in, with 2 guards, 2 wings, and a post, but most of the time, the post operates elbow to elbow, and sometimes steps up for a screen. What this does is open the driving lanes, espcially baseline, and ballside since the post will usually start opposite elbow and only flash to the ball for a catch or ballscreen. The guards operate wing-slot-slot-wing (the "slots" are the spots immediately to the left or right of the top of the key, outside the 3 pt line, elbow extended up). And the entire object is to take advantage of our skilled and quick guards, flanked by shooters on the wing. THis works even better when your wings can drive, and I saw alot of that too. When we were cold around the 12 min mark break, we came out and everything was to the rim. Then we have guys making the extra pass, the shooters staying at the level of the ball and finding the space, and knocking em down. TT was left having to foul on the drive, or trying to take a charge only to see us make the big pass time and time again.

DEFENSE

When you have the better athletes and more talented players, especially on the perimeter, you should play pressure man, and finally the day has arrived. We wore them down plain and simple. We scrapped like crazy. On the biggest possesion of the game, holding a 60-58 lead with 1:40 left and TT inbounding on the sideline, I feared the worst and expected (having been conditioned by the Haith years) to see us in a 2-3 and praying for a miss, but no, we come out trapping and force a turnover before TT could even get into their offense, and we get fouled in transition. Do we stop pressuring there? **** no. TT would not score again while we get another bucket in transition and the killer 3 to wrap it up.

Theres alot to look forward to guys. We have 2 major, major players not availiable for us right now, and yet were not making excuses, guys got to step up and play Coach L's Basketball. Might we lose some big games? Sure. Might we not play that well? Yes. But Coach L's system puts our players in the position to make plays, on both O and D, all you can ask for from a coach. Now the bottom line is our players gotta make plays.

GO CANES!

1-0

Advertisement
Solid write up. I am not as technical in the basketball X's and O's but I like what I saw. However, they are just not executing well enough to be competitive in the top of the ACC. Obviously the plan is there, but going over the top of picks, constant turnovers, and inbound plays are still areas of concern. I do agree that the offense actually runs plays now, and the kids just shot really bad from behind the arc tonight. If we would have hit 40% from the field and behind the arc, the game would not have been even close. It was good to see we rebounded well but we got a lot of rebounds from out 2,3, and 4 players. With Reggie out, it was a need but I hope that trend doesnt continue. We will get eaten alive against great transition teams.

Defense was pretty solid but we allowed some open jumpers early on. They tightened up and played superb down the stretch.

I know my post seems like a downer but it is not. There are still some holes on this team but they are all fixable. That is what is promising with Coach L at the helm. At least we know it will be fixed. Last year, we knew every game was going to be the same ****. If we didnt shoot lights out from 3, we pretty much didnt have a chance. At least this year, we are going to play some good all around ball and surprise some teams.

Just want to see us compete and have a good game plan to pull of wins we are not suppose too !!!

We had a lot of trouble executing.

To be honest we got out coached tonight, but that is a product of a team much more comfortable in their system. We gave TT a good look every play off inbounds. That needs to stop

In defense of Larranaga, we have absolutely nothing inside. Kenny Kadji looks like Cyrus McGowan got another year of eligibility. If we put this squad up against UNC, we lose by 30.

Advertisement
A lot of teams will lose to UNC by 30, This will be a different team in 2 months just by getting comfortable with this system. In addition if Reggie comes back healthy the team should be able to compete in the ACC. The biggest difference between this year and last on top of what was already mentioned is we fought to the end, last year we lose this game. I really like what Coach L offers and excited to see where he can take this program.

I was only able to catch the 2nd half, but even from this, I have to say...I really really like the product Coach L is attempting to put out there.

First the 2 basic adjustments weve made tactically, which many of us have been calling for...

1) A more organized, fluent offense to take advantage of our guard play

2) More man defense, specifically, more pressure man defense, again, to take advantage of our athleticism and guards

OFFENSE

Its very simple really. Haith wasnt known as a great strategist, and he didnt have a quality assistant coach who could serve an an Offensive Coordinator either. The result was basically helter-skelter on a nightly basis. Sure, we had winning record, but it was because if Haith was good at one thing, he was an exellent recruiter and at the least his players lifted weights, got stronger/faster etc. But he was lacking a good system. Folks, those days are over. The man with the plan has arrived an its a good one.

Basically, were running a 4 out/1 in, with 2 guards, 2 wings, and a post, but most of the time, the post operates elbow to elbow, and sometimes steps up for a screen. What this does is open the driving lanes, espcially baseline, and ballside since the post will usually start opposite elbow and only flash to the ball for a catch or ballscreen. The guards operate wing-slot-slot-wing (the "slots" are the spots immediately to the left or right of the top of the key, outside the 3 pt line, elbow extended up). And the entire object is to take advantage of our skilled and quick guards, flanked by shooters on the wing. THis works even better when your wings can drive, and I saw alot of that too. When we were cold around the 12 min mark break, we came out and everything was to the rim. Then we have guys making the extra pass, the shooters staying at the level of the ball and finding the space, and knocking em down. TT was left having to foul on the drive, or trying to take a charge only to see us make the big pass time and time again.

DEFENSE

When you have the better athletes and more talented players, especially on the perimeter, you should play pressure man, and finally the day has arrived. We wore them down plain and simple. We scrapped like crazy. On the biggest possesion of the game, holding a 60-58 lead with 1:40 left and TT inbounding on the sideline, I feared the worst and expected (having been conditioned by the Haith years) to see us in a 2-3 and praying for a miss, but no, we come out trapping and force a turnover before TT could even get into their offense, and we get fouled in transition. Do we stop pressuring there? **** no. TT would not score again while we get another bucket in transition and the killer 3 to wrap it up.

Theres alot to look forward to guys. We have 2 major, major players not availiable for us right now, and yet were not making excuses, guys got to step up and play Coach L's Basketball. Might we lose some big games? Sure. Might we not play that well? Yes. But Coach L's system puts our players in the position to make plays, on both O and D, all you can ask for from a coach. Now the bottom line is our players gotta make plays.

GO CANES!

1-0

Appreciate the breakdown. Thanks

Advertisement
Back