Off-Topic Hurricane Hilary

Imukat

Recruit
Before I ask my question, let me preface this by saying I'm a Southern California native and haven't seen a tropical storm or hurricane in my lifetime. This would be the first tropical storm in over 80 years to touch CA.

I'm about 9 miles inland from the beach. Do I need to worry about high winds and should I fold down the sun umbrellas in my backyard and courtyard? No snarky responses about boarding everything up because I'm not doing any of that ****. I just want to know if I need to take the umbrellas down or risk them becoming projectiles if they blow free.

Advertisement
In all seriousness, I would say put the umbrellas and anything else that could potentially blow away in your garage

You definitely want to take umbrellas down unless you want to donate them to the neighbors down the street.

My goto information is this statistical chart published by the NHC https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIAPWSEP4+shtml/181451.shtml?

It gives you a list of Cities and the probability that you will see winds at three different levels: Tropical Storm, Strong Tropical Storm and Hurricane force. Pick the place that is closest to you and see what you are up against.

Even tropical storm force wind will take your umbrella away. Anything above that it is best to put your lawn furniture away in a garage or shed or tie it down.

Don't mess around and err on the side of caution. Even in areas that aren't due to get major winds can get very intense bursts in the feeder bands and even can get tornados.

Stay safe

Advertisement
Take lots, chairs, umbrellas and things like that and store them in the garage. Otherwise they just make a mess or end up causing more damage than the storm will. If you are 9 miles in you are probably fine, but I don’t know if the hills and valleys will cause the wind to be stronger or not. Plus the further it goes north the colder the water and with the high chance it will hit the baja of California first means it will probably weaken

If the reports are correct, wind wise it will be a weak TS, so just bring everything inside and stay away from the windows. The bigger risk is from flooding.

Since the power may go out, you probably want to get flashlights and canned food, and make sure your car is full of gas.

Before I ask my question, let me preface this by saying I'm a Southern California native and haven't seen a tropical storm or hurricane in my lifetime. This would be the first tropical storm in over 80 years to touch CA.

I'm about 9 miles inland from the beach. Do I need to worry about high winds and should I fold down the sun umbrellas in my backyard and courtyard? No snarky responses about boarding everything up because I'm not doing any of that ****. I just want to know if I need to take the umbrellas down or risk them becoming projectiles if they blow free.
Leave the umbrellas up.

Aim them towards neighbors you don't like.

Enjoy.

Advertisement
If you’re not sure, take down the umbrellas and anything else you’re worried about being damaged by high winds.

Advertisement

Just for reference, Santa Ana wind speeds can reach tropical storm speed.

Advertisement
There are plenty of trees down & road surfaces are covered in debris (tree limbs, palm fronds, leaves etc). Driving conditions are dangerous.

Mudslides & rock slides are an issue (especially in places like Malibu).

Flooding will also be an issue in certain areas.

Having been through Hurricane Andrew in Miami this was mild by comparison but there are risks due to the above and downed power lines etc.

Advertisement
Back