Huge misconception on Josh Jobe eligibility?

Advertisement
Rule was changed to 19 by September 1st starting with the 2018 (Jobe's) class. Under the old rule he wouldn't have aged out, as he turns 19 in April, and would've been able to play all of next season. Calvin Ridley aged out under the old (19 and 9 months) rule. Jobe will have just turned 20 when he steps onto a college campus.

Per Columbus, his HS career is over, this comes from all the ppl, AD, Admin, Coach, etc....everyone knew. And they are well aware of this rule, they suffered from this my senior year and had to forfeit some games due to missing this rule on a player.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

It makes no sense to me how he wouldn't be able to play next year....

The cut off date is 19 years and 9 months of age for FHSAA. Jobe would not hit that until January of 2018.

He would be eligible all of next season, unless the rules have changed.... Someone has completely misinformed him.

Good lord. The kid is gonna be 21 as a freshman? You have to question if he is close to maxing out on his potential. Nit saying not to take him but it has to cross your mind with his age

That's a 2, not a 4

Good lord. The kid is gonna be 21 as a freshman? You have to question if he is close to maxing out on his potential. Nit saying not to take him but it has to cross your mind with his age

So 21 is the limit for potential growth? What about all our players that sucked here then went on to be pros. Potential is not age limited unless your talking about your physical decline which is in your 30s for most people. Potential is a combination of how much work you put in and your physical attributes. He hasn't even been coached by a professional db coach yet. He may be one of the best in the country but he still has plenty of growth to come as far as knowledge of the game, technique, refining things like strength and speed.

Advertisement
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

It makes no sense to me how he wouldn't be able to play next year....

The cut off date is 19 years and 9 months of age for FHSAA. Jobe would not hit that until January of 2018.

He would be eligible all of next season, unless the rules have changed.... Someone has completely misinformed him.

There is no 19 9 month rule anymore. The rules change for next yr. if you are 19 before sept 1. You are ineligible

So 21 is the limit for potential growth? What about all our players that sucked here then went on to be pros. Potential is not age limited unless your talking about your physical decline which is in your 30s for most people. Potential is a combination of how much work you put in and your physical attributes. He hasn't even been coached by a professional db coach yet. He may be one of the best in the country but he still has plenty of growth to come as far as knowledge of the game, technique, refining things like strength and speed.

No there is a very big difference in the potential of an 18 year old and a 21 year old as far as physically. Never said anything about work ethic or former players whi were not coached up here at all. The poetential for growth and strength and speed potential is much higher with an 18 year old as compared to a 21 year old which is the point i was making. Never said i wouldnt take the kid because i would just pointing out what should be obvious

No there is a very big difference in the potential of an 18 year old and a 21 year old as far as physically. Never said anything about work ethic or former players whi were not coached up here at all. The poetential for growth and strength and speed potential is much higher with an 18 year old as compared to a 21 year old which is the point i was making. Never said i wouldnt take the kid because i would just pointing out what should be obvious

That is so not true...most people dont even hit their physical prime until their mid 20s. And again I say he's already physically developed he just needs to refine his game.

Advertisement

That is so not true...most people dont even hit their physical prime until their mid 20s. And again I say he's already physically developed he just needs to refine his game.

Where in my posts did I say anything about physical prime bro? Did you even read what I said? There is a major difference hiwever in the bidy if an 18 year old compared to a 21 year old. So if you have 2 players who are equal in fundamentals and ability are you going to take the 21 year old over the 18 year old? **** no you arent so dont start with that ****. And again i woud take jobe as would everyone here so its not like im saying hes not that good or anything. Just posed a question as to how close to his physical potsntial is he?

Where in my posts did I say anything about physical prime bro? Did you even read what I said? There is a major difference hiwever in the bidy if an 18 year old compared to a 21 year old. So if you have 2 players who are equal in fundamentals and ability are you going to take the 21 year old over the 18 year old? **** no you arent so dont start with that ****. And again i woud take jobe as would everyone here so its not like im saying hes not that good or anything. Just posed a question as to how close to his physical potsntial is he?

I'm trying to say the difference between the physical "potential" of an 18 and a 21 year old with the same abilities and fundamentals is ZERO. Potential is the max ability you can reach. There for is they have the same of everything their potential would be the same. The only difference is one would be older and more experienced. The only way I'd take the 18 year old over the 21 year old is if they have off field issues or is this was like the pros and we wanted longevity in a player, but in college you only have four years period.

I'm trying to say the difference between the physical "potential" of an 18 and a 21 year old with the same abilities and fundamentals is ZERO. Potential is the max ability you can reach. There for is they have the same of everything their potential would be the same. The only difference is one would be older and more experienced. The only way I'd take the 18 year old over the 21 year old is if they have off field issues or is this was like the pros and we wanted longevity in a player, but in college you only have four years period.

And thats where you are wrong my friend. For the normal 18 and 21 year old.maybe. but when we are talking about major d1 athletes or higher the physical difference between a 21 year old and 18 yr old is huge. And there is a physical potential someone can reach just as there is a talent potential

And thats where you are wrong my friend. For the normal 18 and 21 year old.maybe. but when we are talking about major d1 athletes or higher the physical difference between a 21 year old and 18 yr old is huge. And there is a physical potential someone can reach just as there is a talent potential

Yes that's is what I'm saying their is a physical limit and he could have already reached it, but that's fine because he is the height and frame we need him. What you are pretty much saying is that the 18 year old and 21 year old are two different players, I'm saying Jobe at 18 compared to him at 21, the max potential is still the same. Weather he's 18 now or 21 now, he'd still grow to the same 6'2" db framed player. If you are talking about strength then you need to realize that around 25 to 30 is when you are fully developed and therefore you can reach your max.

Advertisement
Not gonna argue with you about strength but you are wrong at reaching a max by age 25-30. Different topic there but we just arent gonna see eye to eye on this and thats fine thats what this board sjould be about. A rational argument without 2 people resorting to name calling and just talking bull**** so much love

Interesting discussion. The question behind all the questions would seemingly be this, has Jobe reached his potential that he would have hit, if he had graduated at 19 and started school then? I think biologically he is what he is. The stretch h and conditioning may be different. His coaching is almost certainly different. It's actually kind of like taking a kid who has gone to prep school and is now going to college. Or like a juco player with 4 years of eligibility.

I also think that it's worth asking, how
many kids do we sign that are actually 18 when they step on campus? I was 19 when I stepped on campus. At 21 I was more emotionally mature. My height was the same. My body composition was a little bit more tone. I had been through an offseason of cfb training. By the way Tuesday and Thursdays sucked for offense. PTA pain torture agony.

Anyways I think the biggest difference in the 21&18 year old will be between the ears and in his heart.

Interesting discussion. The question behind all the questions would seemingly be this, has Jobe reached his potential that he would have hit, if he had graduated at 19 and started school then? I think biologically he is what he is. The stretch h and conditioning may be different. His coaching is almost certainly different. It's actually kind of like taking a kid who has gone to prep school and is now going to college. Or like a juco player with 4 years of eligibility.

I also think that it's worth asking, how
many kids do we sign that are actually 18 when they step on campus? I was 19 when I stepped on campus. At 21 I was more emotionally mature. My height was the same. My body composition was a little bit more tone. I had been through an offseason of cfb training. By the way Tuesday and Thursdays sucked for offense. PTA pain torture agony.

Anyways I think the biggest difference in the 21&18 year old will be between the ears and in his heart.

Cristobal told Jobe that he is their #1 target at DB for 2018, so they obviously don't care about his age. TIFWIW

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back