Huell to the 4?

obfan

Redshirt Freshman
Watching the BC game it is apparent that coach is still experimenting with line ups. I also noticed Izundu playing with great confidence. i don't think he fouled anyone which is a miracle in its self. Here is a line up i think is worth exploring especially against teams with big front lines.

1. Lykes - Newt has been playing much better but IMO we need Chris for this group
2. Walker
3. Amp
4 Huell
5. Izundu

We have seen the 2 big guys in together briefly a few times. Huell is struggling defensively with bigs

IMO its a very good rebounding group and pretty athletic. We should be able to run with it.

I think Huell could be pretty effective as a pick and roll guy from the top of the key too. We need help in the half court.

Yes we lose DJ but he can come off the bench if he's hot. Might present some matchup problems for opponents too.

What do you think as a part of the game option

Advertisement
I like the idea of Huell moving to the 4. As for "struggling defensively," you can make that just plain "struggling."

Huell is limited much like our old friend Murphy was. Murph as you know worked very hard and actually developed a short jumper which really ****ed off coach when he missed. I really like him as a pick and roll guy though. Could be very effective. a Murph shot wouldn't hurt either

When he goes to the NBA hes going to be a 4 for sure. The only reason he plays 5 right now is because L is afraid of him and izundu getting into foul trouble. If Miller can step it up and prove to be a solid 5 then we can have izundu and miller at the 5 and Sam and Huell at 4 which would make us alot better.

Advertisement
When he goes to the NBA hes going to be a 4 for sure. The only reason he plays 5 right now is because L is afraid of him and izundu getting into foul trouble. If Miller can step it up and prove to be a solid 5 then we can have izundu and miller at the 5 and Sam and Huell at 4 which would make us alot better.

NBA? Huell will not make the league with that skillset

I'm with obfan, Huell needs to develop that midrange jump shot. He clearly worked on some post moves in the offseason, so next part of that evolution would be that little face up jump shot. He's a decent FT shooter, so he's got a base to build on. It would give him another option on those pick and rolls where right now he has to go all the way to the hoop and runs in to help defense. Izundu and Huell have similar limitations/skillsets right now.

Waardenburg has been nice as a stretch four.

I'm with obfan, Huell needs to develop that midrange jump shot. He clearly worked on some post moves in the offseason, so next part of that evolution would be that little face up jump shot. He's a decent FT shooter, so he's got a base to build on. It would give him another option on those pick and rolls where right now he has to go all the way to the hoop and runs in to help defense. Izundu and Huell have similar limitations/skillsets right now.

Waardenburg has been nice as a stretch four.

I agree. Huell really needs to work on that defense. I want him to be more aggressive as well.

Advertisement
Wow thank you for the rare kind words. We are not a threat to win anything right now as even with BB we don't really have a center or a PG unless.....

Lykes develops further this season and Izundu develops further this season. I have never been a big Izundu fan but he really showed me something the other day at BC. Maybe he can be a starting center in the ACC If he can we instantly got very different group of guys on the floor. C'mon coach give him some minutes. can't hurt. I don't ever see Whattaburger being a legit 5 he is way too soft. Doesn't mean he can't contribute but 5 ....nope

Huell is limited much like our old friend Murphy was. Murph as you know worked very hard and actually developed a short jumper which really ****ed off coach when he missed. I really like him as a pick and roll guy though. Could be very effective. a Murph shot wouldn't hurt either

Huell is much more skilled offensively than Murphy ever thought of being. Something is wrong with Dewan at present -- injury? coach on his back and his reaction to it? PT? Who knows? But you don't go from a double-double guy to 4 pts and 2 boards (or was it the other way around) overnight.

Huell needs to work on passing out of the paint. When he gets the ball, he's shooting about 95% of the time. Makes it very easy to collapse on him and defend. I think his struggles can at least partially be attributed to the scouting report being out on him. His game needs a lot of work.

Even when Murph was pure garbage offensively, he at least gave you some hustle points, some blocks and the like. Murph wasn't long and athletic like Huell, but he gave you everything he could. Huell on the other hand isn't giving that kind of effort. If he isn't feasting offensively, he is sulking, and not attempting to play D. What's sad is that Dewan struggles against smaller teams. He doesn't have an effective jump hook, he doesn't know how to rise and extend when in the post, and he doesn't have any go to post moves.

Advertisement
Lets not turn this into Huell bashing. He basically won several early games for us. i do think he surprised some folks I know he surprised me. I am happy we may have options. Yes its only maybe but if Uzundu can be a regular we may win several more games. They start getting tougher from now,
Murph was my alltime fave BTW. I love hustle and defense

Very tough to be a PF in the NBA when you can't shoot outside the paint. Doesn't defend. Poor rebounder.

Huell can definetly shoot outside the paint, he just doesnt get many opportunities since he is playing center. He even shoots 3s when he is open. Again hes guarding centers its hard to guard guys who are a lot thicker then you in the paint. He also grabs rebounds well he just is in some sort of slump.

Advertisement
Huell can definetly shoot outside the paint, he just doesnt get many opportunities since he is playing center. He even shoots 3s when he is open. Again hes guarding centers its hard to guard guys who are a lot thicker then you in the paint. He also grabs rebounds well he just is in some sort of slump.

He's shot 5 3 pointers in his career and is 0 of 5.

I have seen him shoot outside the paint and like Murphy the coach almost has a heart attack. I do think he could develop a mid shot as his free throws are quite good. i don't watch any Pro sports so I don't know what centers or PF look like in that league but I'm pretty sure Huell is not it. Doesn't make him a bad guy or mean he can't contribute here. i think he can but not as a 5

Lets not turn this into Huell bashing. He basically won several early games for us. i do think he surprised some folks I know he surprised me. I am happy we may have options. Yes its only maybe but if Uzundu can be a regular we may win several more games. They start getting tougher from now,
Murph was my alltime fave BTW. I love hustle and defense

Totally agree. There was a LONG stretch where Huell carried us offensively.

Huell is a much better offensive player than Murphy, but he's not showing it now. Remember, he was averaging 13 ppg until like 2 weeks ago. At least this will put the "Huell to the NBA" talk to bed.

Advertisement
Back