HS recruits that follow their coaches to college?

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
I may regret starting this thread, but the whole Rumph/AH thing has taken on a life of its own and it got me genuinely wondering: how many HS recruits actually follow their former coach (head or position) to college? I'm not trying to make a point either way, I'm just looking for a list if anyone can think of some off the tops of their heads.

Advertisement
Hard to say in football because there are so many players in the general pop but it happens a ton in basketball.

McFarland at Maryland, Herbert at Miami, Ice Harris probably had a couple at Miami, Mustain at Arkansas, Im sure there is more.

McFarland at Maryland, Herbert at Miami, Ice Harris probably had a couple at Miami, Mustain at Arkansas, Im sure there is more.

ice harris also had his son, Treon Harris, go to Miami's rival. or was that not his son? or was Ice not part of Miami staff at the time?

Advertisement

ice harris also had his son, Treon Harris, go to Miami's rival. or was that not his son? or was Ice not part of Miami staff at the time?

Florida offered Treon as a quarterback. Miami wanted him as a DB, if I remember correctly.

Devin Bush Jr. went to Michigan with his dad.

Advertisement
If it was a high number, Saban would be hiring 30 coaches a year and then firing them the next year. They would be Consultants of course.

Advertisement
It happened enough that the NCAA put a restriction in place.

Pretty sure the restriction only applies to non-coaching positions. My understanding is if you're one of the 10 coaches, kids can still follow you to the school.

Agreed that there were a lot of high school coaches and handlers taking "quality control" and "recruiting liaison" type positions to bring in athletes.

Advertisement
If it was a high number, Saban would be hiring 30 coaches a year and then firing them the next year. They would be Consultants of course.

he does it...started with the Pruitt guy from Hoover who is now the hc at Tenn

I may regret starting this thread, but the whole Rumph/AH thing has taken on a life of its own and it got me genuinely wondering: how many HS recruits actually follow their former coach (head or position) to college? I'm not trying to make a point either way, I'm just looking for a list if anyone can think of some off the tops of their heads.

Enough to the point the NCAA had to make a rule about it.

Enough to the point the NCAA had to make a rule about it.
Well that and because it's common sense to block those ppl from getting quality control positions, would be a huge problem nowadays, specifically with South Florida

Dwayne Lawson followed his qb coach to Virginia Tech. Yes, that’s why we lost him. Turns out the coach was using Lawson to get the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back