How to fix college football

MichiCANE

Here for porsts. Still captain of the Lane Train 🚂
One word, relegation.

Ok, hang with me here for a second. For one, I hate the super conferences, but I’ll embrace them here.

This is how you do it:

4 super conferences, 16 teams each. ACC, B1G, PAC, SEC. 12 game schedule, 3 non conference games, must play at least two games against other super conferences.

12 team playoff. Top 4 seeds get a bye. You get a too 4 seed if you win your conference championship game. Losers in conference championship get into the playoff as well. There will be 4 at-large bids. Can be multiple from each conference, I don’t care. We will then re-seed the playoff. 1-4 are conference champs. 5-12 are others. 5 will host 12 at their home stadium, 6 hosts 11 and so on. After that, 1 will face the lowest remaining seeded team at home, etc. We play home games until we’re down to 4 teams. At this point, they play the bowl games, like how it is now.

Now, here’s where the cool part comes in…
We have a relegation game every year, so we don’t have scrubs. The bottom two teams from each conference will play a relegation game. The second worst team will host the worst team. The loser of this game gets sent down to a group of 5 conference. This happens every year.

The group of 5 will have their own “national championship”, every year. We will have 4 conferences just like the big boy conferences. 12 team playoff, same as the big boys. The teams that make it to the semi finals will get an automatic bid to one of the Power 4 conferences, with geographical location being he deciding factor as to what conference they go to.

This is the best way to fix college football. Are Bama/Clemson/Georgia/OSU still going to dominate? Probably. But, it will make everything way more interesting. Every game matters. We will see parody back in CFB. No Vandy’s/Duke’s/scrub schools in Power conferences anymore, because they’ll get booted, due to relegation

Advertisement
One word, relegation.

Ok, hang with me here for a second. For one, I hate the super conferences, but I’ll embrace them here.

This is how you do it:

4 super conferences, 16 teams each. ACC, B1G, PAC, SEC. 12 game schedule, 3 non conference games, must play at least two games against other super conferences.

12 team playoff. Top 4 seeds get a bye. You get a too 4 seed if you win your conference championship game. Losers in conference championship get into the playoff as well. There will be 4 at-large bids. Can be multiple from each conference, I don’t care. We will then re-seed the playoff. 1-4 are conference champs. 5-12 are others. 5 will host 12 at their home stadium, 6 hosts 11 and so on. After that, 1 will face the lowest remaining seeded team at home, etc. We play home games until we’re down to 4 teams. At this point, they play the bowl games, like how it is now.

We have a relegation game every year, so we don’t have scrubs. The bottom two teams from each conference will play a relegation game. The second worst team will host the worst team. The loser of this game gets sent down to a group of 5 conference. This happens every year.

The group of 5 will have their own “national championship”, every year. We will have 4 conferences just like the big boy conferences. 12 team playoff, same as the big boys. The teams that make it to the semi finals will get an automatic bid to one of the Power 4 conferences, with geographical location being he deciding factor as to what conference they go to.

This is the best way to fix college football. Are Bama/Clemson/Georgia/OSU still going to dominate? Probably. But, it will make everything way more interesting. Every game matters. We will see parody back in CFB. No Vandy’s/Duke’s/scrub schools in Power conferences anymore, because they’ll get booted, due to relegation
Cap coaching salaries as well as support staff.

Shared revenue like the NFL uses and a cap on how much you can spend on your program from an operational standpoint (not including facilities, stadium revovations, etc.) That's why the NFL is so competitive and sports like baseball and CFB always seem to have the same teams at the top. Of course the SEC schools would never go for it, because they've poured millions into getting where they currently are.

Advertisement
The only fix for college football is scholarship reductions. This is the only way to approach parity. Drop from 85 to 75, 15, maybe 18 max per year. Would the usual suspects still have more talent? Yes, but the next tier and below would improve. Imagine taking 10 players each off Bama, UGA, OSU, OU, and Clemson and having them sign elsewhere. Now multiply that across the Top 25.

I do not believe a college football team needs nearly a four-deep roster to play 12 games, plus a few teams playing conference title games and the playoffs.

I am in favor of playoff expansion but it’s meaningless with the current talent pooling around a handful of teams.

Last edited:
The only fix for college football is scholarship reductions. This is the only was to approach parity. Drop from 85 to 75, 15, maybe 18 max per year. Would the usual suspects still have more talent? Yes, but the next tier and below would improve. Imagine taking 10 players each off Bama, UGA, OSU, OU, and Clemson and having them sign elsewhere. Now multiply that across the Top 25.

I do not believe a college football team needs nearly a four-deep roster to play 12 games, plus a few teams playing conference title games and the playoffs.

I am in favor of playoff expansion but it’s meaningless with the current talent pooling around a handful of teams.
That would actually hurt Miami fyi.

The only fix for college football is scholarship reductions. This is the only was to approach parity. Drop from 85 to 75, 15, maybe 18 max per year. Would the usual suspects still have more talent? Yes, but the next tier and below would improve. Imagine taking 10 players each off Bama, UGA, OSU, OU, and Clemson and having them sign elsewhere. Now multiply that across the Top 25.

You might be onto something here. I think maybe to 65 players.

Advertisement
Reduce scholarships for specific teams like bama. Teams like bama can only sign 1 five star per year and a certain amount of 4 stars per year. Teams like bama can only have two analysts. Coaching staff cap and either a cap on revenue spent on football even if it comes from private donors or all teams in the conference have to spend the same amount

scholie reductions will favor public schools with lower tuition than pvt schools

also NIL can probably get around the costs as players can "walk on" and get a full ride from NIL

I would add limit the # players who can suit up to a specific # getting tuition or NIL

Reduce scholarships for specific teams like bama. Teams like bama can only sign 1 five star per year and a certain amount of 4 stars per year. Teams like bama can only have two analysts. Coaching staff cap and either a cap on revenue spent on football even if it comes from private donors or all teams in the conference have to spend the same amount
LOL. You can't Bama proof college football. Just like you couldn't Tiger proof the Masters. Figure out how to cut the South Florida pipeline off and get them to Coral Gables. That won't make Bama bad all of a sudden but it will make Miami better. The truth is it really doesn't have to be an either-or scenario.

Advertisement
LOL. You can't Bama proof college football. Just like you couldn't Tiger proof the Masters. Figure out how to cut the South Florida pipeline off and get them to Coral Gables. That won't make Bama bad all of a sudden but it will make Miami better. The truth is it really doesn't have to be an either-or scenario.
I know it’s fantasy but that’s the only way you can stop bama as long as Nick Saban is alive.

You have to specifically target them. You can’t say it’s a fair competition when one team has more financial resources than 99% of college football. And they get 3 - 5 future first round picks every year from recruiting.

Advertisement
True.

The only way to fix college football is reduce scholarships for all schools. The result would be distributing the talent among more schools. Schools like your Tide, UGA, OSU, OU, and Clemson will still have more better players but not as many, and those players sign elsewhere.

This is why scholarships were reduced from unlimited to 85.

I know it’s fantasy but that’s the only way you can stop bama as long as Nick Saban is alive.

You have to specifically target them. You can’t say it’s a fair competition when one team has more financial resources than 99% of college football. And they get 3 - 5 future first round picks every year from recruiting.
As much as I dislike Alabama (jealous, tbh) the Bama poster is correct.

You can’t regulate mediocrity. Yes, Bama spends more on coaches and analysts and recruiting infrastructure. Too bad for everyone else. Reduce scholarships and enforce Bag Game rule violations and you’ve got something.

Last edited:
One word, relegation.

This is how you do it:

Huge playoffs are stupid. This isn’t bball and Cinderella stories suck.

Advertisement
Back