How One Play Changed the Culture of Miami Football !

Cane2

Band
Banned

Irelevancy does not exist in the small world that is University of Miami football. For starters, the country continuously discusses Miami trying to get back to what it used to be: A title contender. This is interesting because the Canes haven’t been title contenders for over a decade. OVER A DECADE. Think about it. I was in 2nd grade when Miami last won a title, and in two months I will be graduating from college. Yet somehow UM is a centralized topic across all media platforms where the conversations ironically begin with “How can Miami regain relevancy?”

Why does this happen? It’s simple; “The U” is loved strongly or hated deeply throughout the nation with no in between.

Saturday night was the prime example of this. After dimwitted referees took away an Artie Burns game sealing interception, called back-to-back-to-back pass interference calls and gifted Duke with a “game winning” touchdown on the final drive, the Canes bit back.

Andrea the new UM Hater.PNG
uc.jpg

You mad too Paul
PAUL.PNG

You don’t even go here.

-----

What people need to understand is that the Canes are 5-3. No other team in the country that is 5-3 would get this much attention, this much hate, over a win. Miami just lost their worst game in the history of the program, fired its coach, lost their star player for a short while due to a concussion and had another player lose his mother all in one week, yet this win ignited a hatred within the cold hearts of parasitic media members.

It actually hurt them to watch Miami win that way. And it will continue to hurt them.

But why are they so angry? Why are they demanding an NCAA rule change over one play? Why are they not even recognizing the fact that the Canes were called for 23 penalties compared to five from Duke? Why are they crying so much over a team with slim chances at even reaching a coastal title???

Because…that one play, the miracle eight, changed the atmosphere.

Whether you believe it or not, Miami is getting back to what it used to be because of that one play. No it’s not like they’ll be competing for a title in the next year or two, or be equally as talented as 2001. But the players have finally felt something that they’ve never dealt with before…hatred…and they love it.

For the first time in a long time, players on this team have gotten a taste of what the Michael Irvins, Bennie Blades, Sean Taylors and Ed Reeds of the world received on a daily basis.

Miami was built on players thriving under hatred. We’ve all heard the common coaches and players speak for a while now:

“We faced some adversity but we came out on top,” or “these players have to deal with some adversity now…”

But what do they really mean by “adversity?”

The definition is so vague and the word is so overly used that no one really knows what it means whey they say it. Being down 14 points at halftime is not adversity, but going through what every player on the UM roster went through is.

The chances of Miami winning on the last play of the game were less than 1%, yet they came out on top. Everything was stacked against them. Everything. And somehow they pulled through. Surely, most of the team assumed that the media would be talking about how great of a play and win that was, but they got the opposite. They felt the backlash, the disgust, and the anger that’s been there for the last 30 years towards UM.

That hate has been under hibernation for quite some time now, but it’s back, and it’s strong. The real adversity starts now. This is the time for the players not to ignore the noise, but to embrace it. To think back at the days where they wore fatigues before a game and understand that there was a reason behind it. They now have a taste of it.

A cultural shift is taking place in Coral Gables, and we are currently at the root of it.

Advertisement
Golly! I think she reads this board. Great article!

The fact that not a single media outlet (other than National Observer) has discussed the bad calls by the refs AGAINST Miami goes to show you the true agenda. They aren't griping about an Artie Burns pick six called back, a phantom TD run by Duke's QB, etc. No, they are manifesting hate towards this U that hasn't been shown for awhile. This is a good thing for us. They know with a competent hire we are going to be back in the mix and they (the media and 99% of the country) just can't stand it. I revel in it.

Advertisement
I expect the kids will " cut it loose" against UVA and make for an awesome homecoming..
After all they have been through they deserve to be the "eye of the hurricane " on the way back!

Great article. Hits nail on head repeatedly. Fantastic. Hope these players understand now that WE were never the enemy. That no matter how nice and soft the BOT and Al made them, they were still hated by all BUT us. Hopefully the BOT got its full the last couple days too and realize NOTHING they can do will take the hate away so just bath in it and enjoy. To the players, thank you for bringing back THE U. Now you know what being a CANE is all about. It is that hate because you won. You beat a little weak *** media favorite that had no business being on the field with you and they hate you for it. Fora brief moment you became what they feared in their nightmares. They are ****ing all over themselves AGAIN. You did that. For the first time in forever:

IT IS GREAT TO BE A MIAMI HURRICANE!!!!!

Now go out there and crush UVA so badly that they refuse to come out on the field for the 2nd half and fire THEIR coach in the locker room.

Ah HATRED you ***** I have missed you so.

GIVE US BUTCH OR GIVE US DEATH!!!!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
FORFEIT THE GAME TO DUKE !!!!!! Is Swoford, ACC) completely gone bonkers ????? I did not like his
comment that maybe another team would - essentially do the right thing.
OK, we forfeit the Duke game right after Ohio State and Notre Dame does.
(If that's the attitude of the ACC then it's time to look for a new conference or GO
INDEPENDENT once again.

Advertisement
FORFEIT THE GAME TO DUKE !!!!!! Is Swoford, ACC) completely gone bonkers ????? I did not like his
(If that's the attitude of the ACC then it's time to look for a new conference or GO
INDEPENDENT once again.

Its all about the almighty dollar. A one loss duke team that loses to FSU/Clemson in the ACC title game likely gets the ACC three teams in the big dollar bowl games.

INDEPENDENT once again.

Its all about the almighty dollar. A one loss duke team that loses to FSU/Clemson in the ACC title game likely gets the ACC three teams in the big dollar bowl games.

And this is why it's incompetence to an even higher level.

Big12 officials would've spotted the ball at the farthest back block they could pretend was in the back, done the down & been done with it, b/c they protect the $$.

-check that... they'd have blown the play dead when Walton went to the ground.

ACC officials are all about fixing the game, just has nothing to do with the good of the conference. Only explanation I have for them not ******** us on the play is the replay guy must've been a Carolina fan.

INDEPENDENT once again.

Well then let's just win out. Win the coastal and then beat the living crap out whoever wins that other division -- hopefully Clemson, so we can rain all over their title hopes. ***** this frigging conference. That short fat four eyes geek duke coach violated conference rules -- where is his penalty. Time to dish crap out instead to eating it.

Advertisement
Back