How many "late developers" slip through the cracks?

MinnesotaCane

Sophomore
What I mean is, how many athletes develop later in high school or even in early college, yet they weren't good enough at the time to be recruiting or even play college ball? I see this in basketball too. There are guys who were skinny as heck or just not that coordinated at age 17/18. Yet, at age 20, they are a man and pretty **** good athletes. When I play pick-up ball across the Twin Cities, there are always younger guys like this that I know are better than or good enough to play division 1 ball. I bet the same can be said for football. Anyone else agree?

It's just funny how many 2-3 star recruits who only became the 2-3 star recruit very late in the process end-up becoming full-out stars at the next levels. It makes me think that for every guy that does get noticed late in the game, there has to be those that are missed too.

Advertisement
38.jpg

SFcane2 did a nice review of this on the Canestime premium board a while ago. His numbers were very interesting. He approached it from the standpoint of NFL players who played high school ball in Florida but not offered by the Big 3. There was significantly more who were not offered than who were. Hopefully he sees this thread and weighs in with his info.

I was 6'3 180 coming out of high school. Wanted to play TE at the next level but nowhere near big enough.

By 20 I was 6'4 230.... oh well.

Advertisement
SFcane2 did a nice review of this on the Canestime premium board a while ago. His numbers were very interesting. He approached it from the standpoint of NFL players who played high school ball in Florida but not offered by the Big 3. There was significantly more who were not offered than who were. Hopefully he sees this thread and weighs in with his info.

That was back when Louis Delmas and Darius Butler got drafted, no? I seem to remember a little write up back then. Because there had just been a lot of high end NFL draftees and college players that were from SoFla that were balling elsewhere that weren't offered by the Big 3.

The Big 3 haven't done their due diligence in a long time with the in-state kids, IMO. They all go after the highly rated kids and they let a lot of really talented kids go. I've always thought that is where, a Miami progam, falling, would have its best chance to get going again. Getting the Florida kids that are under the radar into the mix. It takes elite evaluation skills, but its possible.

I was 6'3 180 coming out of high school. Wanted to play TE at the next level but nowhere near big enough.

By 20 I was 6'4 230.... oh well.

Still not big enough. Shouldve been a WR

Far too slow and far too white.

I think like the poster above said. Blackmon is a perfect example. On the kids scout page he looks like a stick.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back