How Many do we need to make this class acceptable to you?

I keep hearing on this site and others that the recruiting is struggling and manny and co are failing...

I think with the guys that we have commited, we have a solid class that is lacking the top end recruits (minus maybe Chaney) that makes a class look great.
But we are in it with a good handful of 4-5 stars, although most of them are longshots. to me if we finish with 2-3 of these guys then this class is a success, especially if we get one of the two 5-stars

How many of the following do we need to get before you are willing to call this class a success on face value....

RB JAYLAN KNIGHTON
WR DAZALIN WORSHAM
TE DARNELL WASHINGTON
LB JUSTIN FLOWE
DB JALEN HARRELL
DB JAIDEN FRANCOIS

who else do you really want?

Advertisement
Out of your list realistically I think we get Harrell, Francois is 50/50. I believe he's in if we choose to take him unless a better option takes him b4 he signs. I think we get Worsham if Bama doesn't want him but I'm perfectly fine with a homegrown 3 star instead.

If course I want Flowe, Washington, and Knighton but I don't I don't see it happening. If we get Francois and Harrell I'm good, Worsham I don't care either way, and if we can somehow pull 1 or more of the other 3 I'd be exhilarated.

Advertisement
I mean I don’t know if anything we do will be acceptable from a standpoint that we most likely won’t get the first four names in your list. You hope to land Jalen Harrel and then have a shot at Jaylen Harrel, take a chance with Francois, add a couple more OL although who’s out there that is good enough? Not many tbh.

If you get four of them players I listed and add what we have committed it’s an above average class. Should be better than anyone in the Coastal, but we say that every year.

I mean I don’t know if anything we do will be acceptable from a standpoint that we most likely won’t get the first four names in your list. You hope to land Jalen Harrel and then have a shot at Jaylen Harrel, take a chance with Francois, add a couple more OL although who’s out there that is good enough? Not many tbh.

If you get four of them players I listed and add what we have committed it’s an above average class. Should be better than anyone in the Coastal, but we say that every year.
UNC might be #1 recruiting class in the Coastal this year. If the5 keep that DL haul and get Simpson at LBer their front 7 will be crazy good in a few years. But still, our class is good enough to have continued success in the Coastal which we never achieve. Hopefully Manny can change the culture fully.

I'm with you on the OL guys, we aren't getting anyone else that is considered a blue chipper on the OL so the evals will be important and these guys need time to sit and develop. The only incoming freshman on the OL that should compete for the 2 deep is Rivers. The guys we have on the team that's coming back next season need to be the guys to hold things down. If we are relying on 1-2 freshman to play on the OL next season Coach Barry failed and will need to be replaced.

Advertisement
The problem is we aren't getting Oline.

How many more OL do you want? we have 3 commited, we have everyone back next year that matters and realistically 5 of your top 6 lineman (donaldson) are all back for the next 2 years. In fact ONLY Donaldson is a JR or above in the entire 2 deep.

It is CRAZY how young we are at the OL position.

we are essentially playing our entire 2021 starting OL when campbell goes into the game for Donaldson...

How many more OL do you want? we have 3 commited, we have everyone back next year that matters and realistically 5 of your top 6 lineman (donaldson) are all back for the next 2 years. In fact ONLY Donaldson is a JR or above in the entire 2 deep.

we are essentially playing our entire 2021 starting OL when campbell goes into the game for Donaldson...

I’m with most, OL recruiting has been disappointing both in terms of numbers and missing on local talent.

I’ve not seen any of the OL commits play in person but from many on this site, Rivers and Washington seem to be two that will play in two years. Smith is a project and much of a long shot, at least that’s the narrative. If so, then two more need to be in play. I understand the local kid Martinez potentially is visiting but not sure. Bottom line, we need a couple of more and better talent.

As for other positions, would like to see a couple more DB’s and two LB’s be added.

Advertisement
We will flip someone by February. Happens every year. I want as many quality kids as we can get.

I think we might have a real shot to flip the Martinez kid even though no on talks about him

The problem is we aren't getting Oline.

This.

If this class had Walker and Dumervil (and another RB) in it I’d be thrilled with it. Today this class has potential to be deep at defensive line, secondary, linebacker, and receiver while bringing almost nothing to the offensive line other than Jalen Rivers who will be a right tackle or guard.

I trust what the staff is trying to do at WR, DL, secondary, and linebacker. At running back and the offensive line I’m worried about depth going forward and this class doesn’t look to solve that. The little I hear sounds like there is basically no one they can get or want today at running back or offensive line.

Advertisement

Really there's 2 because Smith essentially was processed. They told him to look elsewhere and he has been. According to 247 at least both he and Riggins won't be in this class so we really have 2 OL commits and 20 overall not 3 & 22.

If you want to have a good OL and compete with the big boys, You need to start every season with at least 15 OL on scholarship. We currently have 12 OL on scholarship, one who is gone for sure in Kennedy. There is the possibility that one of Hillery, Dykstra or Herbert will hit the portal or be processed out after this year.

In addition, you have to plan for the possibility that a certain agent(s) will get into Donaldson’s ear and convince him it’s in his best interest to leave to be a 7th rounder or UDFA. Crazy, I know. None of us would recommend it, but we’ve seen it before.

Therefore you need at least 4 OL in this class, ideally 5. A good OL is something you build over several recruiting classes. This is how you avoid being in the predicament that we were in this year starting freshman OL who were not ready to play.

Advertisement
Back