How Jimmy Johnson changed college football (ESPN)(SIAP)

Foreman

Sophomore
How Jimmy Johnson and Bobby Bowden changed college football

In recruiting meetings, Johnson talked about what prospects could become, not what they were -- the mass they could add or shed, the different positions they could play.

Johnson's non-negotiables: speed and intelligence.

"Speed, speed, speed, No. 1 factor," said Ed Orgeron, who joined Johnson's Miami staff in 1988. "Good athletes with skinny ankles, round butts -- had that racehorse look to them."

The innovation started with Johnson and his evaluations. He wasn't opposed to the biggest/strongest/fastest rubric that most followed, but he wasn't married to it, either. If a smaller, faster player could be productive in a spot normally occupied by larger bodies, Johnson wouldn't hesitate to put him there.

Good article.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Al Golden, the Anti-Jimmy Johnson.

We are seeing the exact opposite philosophy with golden.

Big body players.

When Miami lost to Boston College on the "Hail Flutie" play in 1984, Stubbs estimates he was about 20 yards downfield.

If you wanted to know if this BS *** 3-4 was going to work or not, go on YT and watch that game...looks like the crap we're playing on defense now. That defense was also responsible for that Frank Reich inspired comeback vs Maryland. SMFH!

Advertisement
Do you think Al might read this and say, "Nonsense, we need to play the Penn State way." That is why all of the 5* talent in Miami is hemorrhaging out of this area. Do you think Paul Will or No D would be kept by JJ or BD? LOL. Al is what my mama used to call me as a kid "hard headed", the only difference is I changed (well, somewhat)...I'm still a fan of the "U".

So FSU with Jimbo is still going and Miami with Al is still going backwards...

Because Jimbo actually coached under Bowden and learned something before he took over. Golden learned from Groh and Paterno..

Advertisement
as someone who grew up on CFB in the 80s watching that explosive Canes team year after year, it amazes me the level of incompetence these coarches have displayed and then to handle adversity by throwin kids under the bus and denying reality.... is really a bad time to be a cane fan... but **** it, the team will rise once it gets the coach it needs....

"You have to work really hard in the state of Florida to ***** up recruiting," Amato said.

"Andrews noticed. He saw Miami's sacks spike and wanted to create more pass-rushing production from his linemen, who previously were chipping offensive linemen to clear paths for linebackers to bring down ball carriers."

Sigh

"You have to work really hard in the state of Florida to ***** up recruiting," Amato said.

Imagine that...

Advertisement
"Andrews noticed. He saw Miami's sacks spike and wanted to create more pass-rushing production from his linemen, who previously were chipping offensive linemen to clear paths for linebackers to bring down ball carriers."

Sigh

Simplest and most logical thing I've ever heard any football coach at any clinic or teaching session say:

"Why wait till the ball carrier has time to get going or for the QB to evaluate his best alternatives?"

Disrupt the initial portion of the offensive play, and you're already dictating to the offense. This is even more important at the college level - where offensive systems and QBs are simpler. It's not a perfect fit for all situations, of course, but it's where your philosophy should begin.

Frustrating to watch us attempt to "contain" up front and hope the offense disrupts itself through defenders being "tied together."

Advertisement

Sigh

Simplest and most logical thing I've ever heard any football coach at any clinic or teaching session say:

"Why wait till the ball carrier has time to get going or for the QB to evaluate his best alternatives?"

Disrupt the initial portion of the offensive play, and you're already dictating to the offense. This is even more important at the college level - where offensive systems and QBs are simpler. It's not a perfect fit for all situations, of course, but it's where your philosophy should begin.

Frustrating to watch us attempt to "contain" up front and hope the offense disrupts itself through defenders being "tied together."

Aye, that's the truth, lad.

And one who was with Johnson all the way, and later coached at UM gathered the finest fast/quick players and put together the undisputed finest, quickest, fastest football team, three deep - Butch Davis.

Bring Back Butch, and we bring back quick, fast, aggressive defensive football. UM style.

Advertisement
Back