How important is it that recruits come from...

fraggle

Senile Senior
winning programs? In high school Perry and Martel were in programs that won, Williams was not. I haven't considered this before so I have not verified who came from winning programs and who did not and compared performance. Did players like Bernie, Kelly, Kosar, Walsh, Toretta, etc come from winning high school programs. I do know that some players perform great in practice but can't take pressure of live games. My assumption (and we know what ***ume means) is that players that won are less likely to choke when the game is on the line. Thoughts?

Advertisement
Meaningful in the sense the recruit should be accustomed to the demands of playing in a winning program.

Meaningless otherwise. Randy Shannon's MNW class were multiple (?) state champions. Most of those players failed to make a similar impact at Miami, for any number of reasons.

Don Shula used to say he liked players and I think assistants who had experience winning. He thought that it was important to know how to win.

3459891D-8309-41FC-8477-EE7AFDE2E6E4.gif

Advertisement
Don Shula used to say he liked players and I think assistants who had experience winning. He thought that it was important to know how to win.
Knowing how to win and knowing how to keep winning are very important but I don't think it is all that important when it comes to HS kids transitioning to college. Most of the winning HS teams are loaded with talent and don't have to "work" all that hard as they can get by on god given athletic ability most of the time.

Such a tough question. Sometimes one kid can change a program. Could be his talent (a QB), his leadership to change culture. That kid could come from a losing HS program and had enough or had a winning pedigree. This is probably more of a discussion to have with your buddies over 800 road sodas.

I was not in the locker room but it sounds like Al Blades changed culture. I don’t know how good his team in the East Bay was but Dorsey had a massive impact at Miami.

The year after I left we brought in a really talented kid and the Captain just flat out changed culture. Turned our entire program around. The Captain is a great dude who could play and the recruit was an impact player from day one. Then kids came in droves. ***no payments involved***

It’s was cyclical a few years back, teams went up and down. Now it seems as if the deck is stacked in the two revenue sports.

Meaningful in the sense the recruit should be accustomed to the demands of playing in a winning program.

Meaningless otherwise. Randy Shannon's MNW class were multiple (?) state champions. Most of those players failed to make a similar impact at Miami, for any number of reasons.

Lock thread. Go to sleep OP.

Advertisement
It does not matter. Kids who have good attitudes when the chips are tough is more important. Kids who are talented is more important. Kids who are willing to work hard every day is more important. Kids who are willing to look at the film and playbook is more important. These same kids can not control their high school teammates talent and attitudes to make a talented winning team.

The 2008 class showed us a Bunch of front runners from the national HS title team. Did not help us in college.

Advertisement
Back