How impactful has the portal been to this program?

Hurracanes

Your favorite poster’s favorite poster.
Premium
I got to give Diaz serious credit, no one has taken advantage of the portal as he has. I have no clue where we would be without King, Phillips (comeback player of the year), Bolden, Borregales, and I guess you can throw Roche in there. What crazy stories for all those guys!

Fast forward, with King’s success, Diaz’s sale job to kids to transfer to Miami should be significantly easier. Now you can say this is Transfer U. Add a top 10 recruiting class and things will be very interesting soon. I’m looking forward to see what moves are done in the future.

Advertisement
Loaded question. If you go by pure x/y "successful contributor" vs "portal bust" less than stellar.

With that said, this year's crop of transfers appears to be **** near perfect going into game 3.

Lots of pressure this portal game--how many NFL free agents turn into buyer's remorse?

I will add this though.... undoubtedly Miami's "adds" to the program have exceeded the "losses" of former Canes to other programs.

In that regard, the tree has been pruned of dead branches.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
I got to give Diaz serious credit, no one has taken advantage of the portal as he has. I have no clue where we would be without King, Phillips (comeback player of the year), Bolden, Borregales, and I guess you can throw Roche in there. What crazy stories for all those guys!

Fast forward, with King’s success, Diaz’s sale job to kids to transfer to Miami should be significantly easier. Now you can say this is Transfer U. Add a top 10 recruiting class and things will be very interesting soon. I’m looking forward to see what moves are done in the future.
dont forget Jarrid Williams. He has helped that O line tremendously.

Advertisement
I think it’s good but would love to see this be an interim solution as we fill in talent across the board over the next 2-3 years. I don’t want that brand of “transfer U” where kids feel like Miami is the school to go if they’re not happy with their current situation.

Also makes us feel more like a pro team with stop gap players coming in vs home grown talent. Minor gripe though I love all the players who put on our uniform

Advertisement
Portal can bring great additions if you use it correctly and we did with getting Phillips, bolden, king, roche , Jarrid Williams and Borregales

If you take too many transfers each year it destroys your scholarship numbers pretty quickly, but taking two or three a year including some that stay more than one season and it can really be a difference maker

Advertisement
Back