How I am feeling tonight

I'm more of a football guy but I've been going to CANES basketball games for many years. I have a question for the Guru's.

Was Drakes D taking away the inside the paint jumpers. It seemed like we could only get shots from 3 or under the basket. Also if that's the case what do we do different in the next game to change that?

Thanks
Yes, to your first question. Very smart and disciplined team. Veteran group with the average age of 23.4 years. Never let us transition.

Against IU it will be a traditional ACC conference type opponent.

Advertisement
I'm more of a football guy but I've been going to CANES basketball games for many years. I have a question for the Guru's.

Was Drakes D taking away the inside the paint jumpers. It seemed like we could only get shots from 3 or under the basket. Also if that's the case what do we do different in the next game to change that?

Thanks
The Drake interior defense was excellent. Both Miller and Omier have spin moves in the paint that have been highly successful all year in terms of their scoring over the shoulder bank shots off the gl;***, or dunks. Last night, Drake's switching and/or double-teaming took those shots away or made their degree of difficulty much harder. Drake's D was, as Coach L said, the best we've faced this year.

Yes, to your first question. Very smart and disciplined team. Veteran group with the average age of 23.4 years. Never let us transition.

Against IU it will be a traditional ACC conference type opponent.
So in your opinion what can you do when a team does what it did yesterday to us?

I'm asking because I'm thinking other teams saw how drake slowed us down and will try to mimic that style.

The 15 from Poplar was gigantic. Games like that you need someone to over perform.
Gotta be excited for next season with Wooga. He's the only player really to have a "break out" season. The Frosh didn't get to play meaningful minutes and our "bench" of Joseph, Beverley and Walker has been pretty spotty, with the very occasional decent game from one of them.

Advertisement
That was a scared, timid, passive game from everybody not named Nijel and Wooga. To win that game playing that uninspired was incredibly lucky. Hopefully whatever the **** that was is just a blip and the kids play a lot more loose tomorrow night. You rarely get gifts like that at this point. Don’t waste it and go lay another egg Sunday night.

I wonder if L thinks about scrambling a bit more. I think Walker’s only value is that he can give you good minutes in the scramble due to his athleticism. If Casey can be trusted with some minutes, that gives you 9 which is deep enough to scramble… especially with their (elite) level of conditioning.

He was asked that at his post game presser if he should have maybe gone to that sooner seeing how successful it turned out.

He basically shrugged it off and said that’s not something they will do. He felt at the time it was called for because being in the lead the other team goes into a shell and wants to protect the lead.

They tend to make mistakes when pressed in those circumstances.

Sounded to me it would be situational as opposed to a change in philosophy.

Regardless it was a great adjustment that got us the wind along with some good fortune.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back