How has CV affected you & what are you doing for entertainment?

Advertisement
Brother that's a great story. I did some island channel fishing in the keys several times when I'd hook up with a buddy who had a skiff in Homestead but you killed it... fantastic stuff.
Sure has changed down there since I was a kid in the 70’s.

I know it sounds crazy but I'll have conch fritters anywhere. When the wife was pregnant I would go to the guy on the corner a couple blocks east of Miami Central.
Not 5 stars but at least they were Conch Fritters. 😆
There’s a small chain of seafood restaurants in Daytona and Orlando - can’t for the life of me remember the name - that have pretty good ones.

Been in the game over 15 years my man. Weller 12 for example is out there around $275. High, but no big deal. Col. Taylor small batch I actually found last week for retail. The Pappy collection is all a rip, got a 15 year for retail 3 years ago. Crazy to pay $1500 for it. Eagle Rare 17 is also very good, and used to be pretty readily available retail, now brutal to find and more $. ****, regular Eagle Rare 10 is allocated now for 20% more retail than it used to be. That's all I am saying.

Some **** just isn't out there anymore. Look up Rock Hill and get back to me. That was always one of my fave.
I did and it’s made by buffalo trace. I was just in Louisville a few months back. I have everything too and get almost all of it at retail also. I haven’t had it or even heard of it. I’ll look into getting it and see for myself. It’s all good. Maybe yes and maybe no. 🤷‍♂️ But everything has a price and if it’s out there, and I’m sure it is, I’ll get it. FWIW I hear you and it sucks. The stuff I love I have to chase and it keeps getting harder and harder. this year I one Pappy 23, one 20 and a 13 rye.... not exactly a win 😔 I worked my *** off to get it too. Sucks!

Advertisement
Hog snapper is a very light fish and is probably #2 most eaten snapper in the keys. Yellow tail can be found on pretty much every single menu in the keys and is hands down the #1 most eaten fish in the keys.

Mahi Mahi is a very nice fish that you can get made in several different ways, blackened or fried are probably the most common. They are also a great fish to make fish tacos with. Get them blackened and then topped with a fresh coleslaw is always a win. If in the keys you will most likely get a lighter more fresh style of coleslaw that always goes great with blackened fish.

You definitely need to get stone crab legs and Florida spiny lobster. Stone crabs can get dam pricey but if your going to do it, do it right and go all out.

Spiny lobster is amazing and not nearly as costly as Stone crab legs. I would say buy them fresh and grill them at your rental. Just go to YouTube and google grilling spiny lobster. its really very easy. Go to Publix and buy that garlic Irish butter they sell. I think Its called like Kellys Irish butter or something like that. It comes in a 2 pack and its gold covered I do believe. You can just cut your lobsters in half and place them shell side down to start. Just follow your YouTube instructions and within less then 10 min your going to be having a great meal.

Grouper is grouper and its always amazing no matter where you catch it. Ive never heard a person ever say a bad word about grouper. Its just simply one of the best fish to eat one the ocean.

All the seafood I mentioned are very common in South Florida and all are very tasty.

If you are really trying for something different from South Florida then look for golden tile fish or snowy grouper, both of these fish are caught in very very deep water and not nearly as common as the fish I mentioned above.

Wow, thanks for the write up, I definitely appreciate it. I’m screenshotting and saving for when I come down for a game or two this year, appreciate you 👍🏻👍🏻

What does conch taste like? Hear about conch fritters a lot from S Florida folks.

Per wahoo, apparently you don't see it much on menus because the boat captains keep it for themselves...at least they do on NC coast.

Grouper is great for fried grouper fingers...like big fish sticks. The grouper is firm and good for frying.

Whole fried flounder is awesome too.

So when I was about 10 or so, we caught a conch when I was in the Bahamas (I believe) on a cruise. I remember it tasting pretty good but being very chewy, I‘m 99% sure I ate it raw, not sure if that’s frowned upon in the health community these days, but that was about 15 years ago

Recently, my go to place is Capt. Jim's in No. Mia. They're now owned by the owner of Garcia's.
Shells is the restaurant I mentioned that’s in Daytona that has good conch fritters. That was around 2000 so I don’t know if they’re still open.

Advertisement
Been in the game over 15 years my man. Weller 12 for example is out there around $275. High, but no big deal. Col. Taylor small batch I actually found last week for retail. The Pappy collection is all a rip, got a 15 year for retail 3 years ago. Crazy to pay $1500 for it. Eagle Rare 17 is also very good, and used to be pretty readily available retail, now brutal to find and more $. ****, regular Eagle Rare 10 is allocated now for 20% more retail than it used to be. That's all I am saying.

Some **** just isn't out there anymore. Look up Rock Hill and get back to me. That was always one of my fave.

You have a pappy?

Conch when well made is delicious.

This is years ago when I was a kid, but I was on a boat when we went snorkeling on these flats in the keys and scooped up several. One of the guys pulled them out, cut them up and we ate the white meat right there on the boat. Really delicious.

Advertisement
Sure has changed down there since I was a kid in the 70’s.
After I graduated HS in 72 I got a car and my fishing trips took off. I fished a lot from Alabama Jacks, the finger channels just east of AJ were absolutely loaded with mangrove snappers... countless times we would catch a cooler full. And in Barnes Sound and Little Card Sound we would kill the seatrouts. I rented wood skiffs with 10hp. Johnsons at AJ's until I got a boat in late 73.
I also remember that anywhere in the Keys starting in Key Largo, lobsters were crazy plentiful... all you had to do is get out of your car and dive in at a bridge or inlet and you could easily get plenty tails. Even bridge fishing was amazing for a lot of species... including snook.
Dude, consider yourself lucky and blessed that you were able to see those amazing years cause like you said things have drastically changed.

After I graduated HS in 72 I got a car and my fishing trips took off. I fished a lot from Alabama Jacks, the finger channels just east of AJ were absolutely loaded with mangrove snappers... countless times we would catch a cooler full. And in Barnes Sound and Little Card Sound we would kill the seatrouts. I rented wood skiffs with 10hp. Johnsons at AJ's until I got a boat in late 73.
I also remember that anywhere in the Keys starting in Key Largo, lobsters were crazy plentiful... all you had to do is get out of your car and dive in at a bridge or inlet and you could easily get plenty tails. Even bridge fishing was amazing for a lot of species... including snook.
Dude, consider yourself lucky and blessed that you were able to see those amazing years cause like you said things have drastically changed.
Absolutely all of this! I fished off the old bridges a few times but I was too **** impatient. That's why I got into spear fishing - mask, snorkel, fins, and my 18" spear gun. Instead of waiting for the catch to come to me, I went to them!

Advertisement
Once again......

Every time I come in this thread I get hungry now.

You guys are killing me with all the fishing and diving for lobsters/conch/etc... but I love it.

Great stories. Appreciate all of you sharing them, makes me wish I was down in S. Florida or the Keys right now.

Edit: Also, these recipes that you guys are sharing, i feel like i will be 20 lbs heavier by the end of the year.

Advertisement
Back